Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rest in Peace Tommy Smothers

Larryz

Tom Smothers of The Smothers Brothers passed away December 26, 2023 at the age of 86.  He brought a ton of laughter to many people and played a pretty decent acoustic guitar.  Tom and Dick Smothers are American Icons... 

😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

I LOVED the Smothers Brothers TV show. They showcased great bands in a variety of genres. 

Here's an excerpt on Tommy Smothers that was posted on Facebook. Rest In Peace Tom Smothers.

"John Lennon and Tommy Smothers were fairly good friends, and the second guitar on the recording of Give Peace A Chance is Tom. They cavorted a lot during John's Lost Weekend in the 70s, a drunken Lennon famously kicked out of the Troubador Club for heckling the Smothers Brothers during a show there. You might say their friendship was tomplicated..."

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I watched The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour every week. The show was awesome. They came on right after the Ed Sullivan Show as I recall. So it was nights full of excellent bands and comedy skits.

• Like 4

Some very funny comedians are serious hard workers about it. Steve Martin and Michael Caine appeared in a film together, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Public perception of Caine and Martin is opposite of their personalities off screen. Martin is serious while Caine has everyone laughing. Like Laurel & Hardy, the brunt of their jokes and seemingly weaker of the team Tom and Stan were the ones coming up with the skits. The Smothers brothers were locals. Attended college just over the hill and had a winery for 39 years up the road. Tom Smothers had a lovable stage persona. The Smothers Brothers had announced a post-retirement comedy tour to take place in 2023. That would have been something to see. We all need to be able to laugh faced with today's politics.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think Buffalo Springfield made their national TV debut on that show, as did a lot of other great artists.

Tom was an amazing guy.

I wonder who gets his yo-yo collection?

• Like 3

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager