Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Brit Floyd

The Austrlian Pink Floyd tribute is very good, they have come to Atlanta a lot, but I've never had the chance to see them, sadly!! They used to show a PBS special that featured Brit Floyd and the Australian Pink Floyd in concert, I wish they were still showing it. 

• Like 1

I went to see Aussie pink Floyd last week, they were awesome although I was underwhelmed by the keyboard player who kept things very simple, no elaborate licks (like the Aussie founding keyboard player) and often playing with just one hand. Many/most of them were brits but not sure about any direct link the Brit Floyd. Keyboard player had Nord Stage, Electro, Hammond dual manual and a Kronos along with MainStage on a MBP. I think he played one just sound/song on the Nord Electro, maybe two on the Kronos. Spare money eh?

• Like 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

Matt Riddle is the current keyboardist for Brit Floyd. He is from Dayton, OH and was the keyboardist in the Floyd tribute band I play with, Echoes of Pink Floyd, before I took over the chair. He left to join Brit Floyd.

Matt is a fantastic keyboardist. He knows all the ELP, Genesis, and YES stuff, too. He played in a YES  tribute band called Going For The One for a long time. 

Under their old management, his rig was all Nord stuff plus Mainstage.  I learned their entire set during COVID as they wanted a back-up keys player for their North American tour just in case Matt fell ill. So I did a rehearsal with them in Dayton. Lots of fun.

They have new management now and I believe Matt has added a Hammond XK5 to the rig. Not sure if he added anything else. They just came through Lansing before Thanksgiving but I didn't have time to catch the show. Their production is top notch for sure. I think Harry Waters (son of Roger) just sat in with them in California. 

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

Great performance!

Related side note, and this is just a funny observation with zero disrespect meant to the acts themselves or their musicianship: I've always found it amusing that Pink Floyd has wound up with the least original names for its high-profile tribute bands. "Australian Pink Floyd," "Brit Floyd" (they were already a British band, so that one's extra funny to me) ... other bands of that ilk give us "The Fab Faux," "1964: The Tribute," "Get the Led Out," even "Almost Queen." Nope. The name of the country responsible, and then the name of the original band.

"Echoes of Pink Floyd" is a pretty rad name though.

• Haha 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

3 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Matt Riddle is the current keyboardist for Brit Floyd. He is from Dayton, OH and was the keyboardist in the Floyd tribute band I play with, Echoes of Pink Floyd, before I took over the chair. He left to join Brit Floyd.

Are they touring with just one keys player currently?  I seem to remember 2 years ago.

During the punk era, I encountered a band called "Zombie Elvis." It was ragged-edge punk, but they also had the aroma of better-than-usual musicianship. It was almost a comedy act that you'd see opening for someone bigger. I told the lead guitarist that as an old prog rock f*ck, I was surprised at what a great show they did, so he grinned and said thanks. I also said the band had a killer name. He laughed and said "It was gonna be 'Zombie Dick Elvis,' but we decided that would make it harder to get booked at all!" :rocker: Ah, precious memories!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

In England it has been a de facto practice to incorporate the name of the artist that is being tributed in the band name. That is why there was the Bootleg Beatles, Beatles for Sale, Counterfeit Stones, Boot Led Zeppelin, The Four Seasons Tribute Band, One Night of Queen, Killer Queen, The Manzarek Doors, The L.A. Doors, The Australian Doors Show, UK Beach Boys, etc.

In America tribute bands often name themselves after a song, album, lyric, or other catch phrase associated with the artist and people have no problem figuring out what the band does. But in Britain they need to see the name of the artist somewhere in the band name.

The Doors band I was with for many years, Riders on the Storm, did a tour of the UK in the 90s. The promoter said the band had to change its name so that Doors was in the name. The band leader refused so they billed the band as Riders on the Storm-The American Doors. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact