Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

$300 for 1964 Hammond A100/ yay or nay?

I again am having to make a decision on whether .to get this.1964 A 100....has a few issues. It has 3 broken keys in the upper manual. This is perhaps a gooey foam period organ....so that is possibly the reason for one of the tones in the lower octave to be missing. But other than that....it is in nice condition cabinet wise....I hate to part out a console Hammond with percussion. The key repair probably not a big deal.This one may be a candidate for new manuals anyway because of foam. Is anyone aware of videos on manual replacement ? Or....how to tell if there is gooey foam or not? 1964 is a transition period for that. BTW...I have a 1973 B-3 that has foam but has never had a problem for 25 years.....

OK.....geez drive down from Edmonton? There must be something else between here and there. Anyway.....this may be a project I can learn from. I am still not sure if this has foam manuals....there is one note not triggering in the lower register...low D....but that is on both manuals not one.This one has the transition generator that Todd on this forum used to rave about. My '73 is red cap which I really like

14 minutes ago, mrk7421 said:

OK.....geez drive down from Edmonton? There must be something else between here and there.

You're right, I should probably look into it a bit more, but I guess I'm only spontaneously serious. But yeah, when I hear a price like that... the only two real Hammond consoles currently available on local classifieds are a '75 B3 and an undated C3. Both are supposedly in excellent condition and come with a 122 each, but they're listed at $8,050 and $5,500 respectively. So... yeah. Let me know. Lol.

As far as bang for the buck on a Hammond....the guy who has the A100 gave me a1954 C-2 last year. It was my first experience with a 2 series organ. Something ordered a Trek percussion unit for it. My god....I prefer the Trek percussion now. I really like the percussion level feature and I like how clean the percussion sounds.There is no crosstalk at all and none of this hum in midrange tones you often hear.And no flutter that I can tell. The C-2 just has something...though I did change the cap in the vibrato dial which gave a huge improvement.Are there any C-2's in Canada or Washington?

BTW, for anyone possibly interested, I have an A100 and two Leslies (a dual motor modified 710 w/ 147 amp and a single motor stock 47). The gear lives in a friend's studio space in Vancouver BC but I'm now in Toronto for the last few years. Unfortunately, my situation is such that it looks like I will have to get rid of the gear. There were some issues that developed on the Hammond and Leslies but I wasn't able to get to it before making the move to Ontario. Nothing that should require major work as far as I know. I am just looking for something reasonable for the gear. Anyway, if anyone is possibly interested, PM me and I can give more details. I have to fly back to Vancouver at some point to take care of some stuff anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, funkyhammond said:

BTW, for anyone possibly interested, I have an A100 and two Leslies (a dual motor modified 710 w/ 147 amp and a single motor stock 47). The gear lives in a friend's studio space in Vancouver BC but I'm now in Toronto for the last few years. Unfortunately, my situation is such that it looks like I will have to get rid of the gear. There were some issues that developed on the Hammond and Leslies but I wasn't able to get to it before making the move to Ontario. Nothing that should require major work as far as I know. I am just looking for something reasonable for the gear. Anyway, if anyone is possibly interested, PM me and I can give more details. I have to fly back to Vancouver at some point to take care of some stuff anyway.

Oops, typo, that should have read stock 45 Leslie.

Talk em down to $299.99!!

As per above: buy that thing
Always repairable. Doubtful it's a foam issue model, but if by chance it is it's an overblown concern for the most part.
Missing tone more likely a solder of a wire away on TG lugs or manuals, or possibly a fray on top of TG (before suspecting foam concern, which is also repairable). Key replace = pretty ez and cheap.

* If you currently use a clone this will make you feel sorry for it btw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoJoB3 said:

Highly doubtful even $1k is necessary to rejuvenate. Could be $0.00 with these.

Depends on what’s wrong and who does the work. Foam can be expensive to remove

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

2 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

Depends on what’s wrong and who does the work. Foam can be expensive to remove

A '64 is on the cusp of foam though. There's a pretty good chance it doesn't have it. I also depends on climate it lives in.   A foam year hammond doesn't mean it's going to suffer foam related issues. Chance of definite issue? Sure but still a pretty small chance.  Cross the bridge when the hoofs reach it.

I swear some Ham heads have needlessly worked themselves into a freaking foam frenzy. "1969?!! Ah man, it's toast! Useless!  Shut it all down, boys". 

My 1973 B-3 I believe has foam. It has never failed me. Was used as rental to.... Billy Preston,Joey D. Dr.Lonnie, Tony Monaco etc..They were all intrigued by it ...Billy said he was looking for this vintage and it was so cool to meet him. It is different..... The manuals have a bit more resistance than older organs.Some people say the later organs are crap....not in this case. It is in my  living room.

Also....before I would repair foam manuals I would probably just get another set of manuals. So I am looking for videos on this and also perhaps on tone generator swap. The 1964 cap set is unique....Todd on this forum discussed the 1963 caps which I think are the same as this.1963 and 1964 are before red caps. But...my 1954 C-2.... doesn't need a thing. I need to get back on some Hammond forums and discuss this with  Kon etc.After playing 1954 vintage I am finding a lot of tone issues are in the preamp

On 11/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, funkyhammond said:

Talk to Wes Garland, he is a member here.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

$300 is a smokin' deal. I would own it already if I was within 150 miles....and I need another A100 like a hole in the head.

64 with GI caps will be a tone monster and foam won't be a problem. Even if it has it and it's gone gooey, the manuals will have cloth-covered resistance wires.  Stop worrying about maybe-problems and go get it!   GI caps would also mean it's an early '64, decent chance it has only one foam manual, maybe none.  All this, of course, assumes that you have correctly identified the year.  But seriously, for $300, who cares?  In the worst case scenario you sell the drawbars on eBay and light the rest of it on fire and you've broken even.

@funkyhammond I'm based in Kingston, but I might be making a service trip out to the lower mainland and the island next year.  "Might" is based on how much work I can scare up, I've been told BC is a Hammond tech wasteland, and I have family out there I want to visit.  If there's anything I can do to help out, let me know.

• Like 4

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

On 11/29/2023 at 3:24 AM, WesG said:

$300 is a smokin' deal. I would own it already if I was within 150 miles....and I need another A100 like a hole in the head.

64 with GI caps will be a tone monster and foam won't be a problem. Even if it has it and it's gone gooey, the manuals will have cloth-covered resistance wires.  Stop worrying about maybe-problems and go get it!   GI caps would also mean it's an early '64, decent chance it has only one foam manual, maybe none.  All this, of course, assumes that you have correctly identified the year.  But seriously, for $300, who cares?  In the worst case scenario you sell the drawbars on eBay and light the rest of it on fire and you've broken even.

@funkyhammond I'm based in Kingston, but I might be making a service trip out to the lower mainland and the island next year.  "Might" is based on how much work I can scare up, I've been told BC is a Hammond tech wasteland, and I have family out there I want to visit.  If there's anything I can do to help out, let me know.

+1 on everything he said.

Not sure what GI caps mean...but yes......pretty sure it is 1964..I too have storage problems and hate to part it out for smooth drawbars. I do need to be able to test tones at the generator....I have seen the missing tone problems be loose wiring at TG. So also need to determine which pickup coil is Low D...808000000. Still haven't pulled the trigger....but it's not going anywhere with the three broken keys etc. Was on Organ forum but lost my password....is anyone here on that? It helped when I wired percussion to C-2.

6 hours ago, mrk7421 said:

Still haven't pulled the trigger....but it's not going anywhere with the three broken keys etc. 

Oh?  3 key swap-outs and tone hunt will keep a $300 A100 in waiting? Replacement keys are cheap and very easy to replace and the tone hunt/fix can be just as.  A little soldering education and one finds out how much hammond maintenance basics they can cover themselves.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Otherwise I predict this will be with another owner soon (also fine, these should be in the hands of players in need and care about these things. They don't make these anymore so we should maintain and keep em alive where possible).

How do you PM people on this forum these days? I do not see a link....I am in senior age range and computers still give me fits. Still trying to get back on Hammond section of Organ Forum and if I am not mistaken there has been one or more Organ Forum members reply to this thread. They changed the format here a couple years ago and it took me up to a year to recover my original password. Can't keep track of these things...this A100:is going to need some stuff. I sure miss  Hamtech when Sal A. and Harvey Olsen were still around....