Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Montage M

1 hour ago, Motif88 said:

Can someone please open a Montage M8x so we can get a better understanding the GEX keybed?

I was talking to a Yamaha tech a while back, when getting the info for interfacing my triple pedal. He put me straight on one thing about the GEX. I was under the impression that the key-on sensors was this new induction sensor development pulled over from the the hybrids. Apparently that's not the case. It's only the PAT sensors which are induction. The key velocity sensors are the traditional rubber switches. Not sure whether they are 2 or 3 sensor. I have to admit, it is well implemented though. He said a full induction keybed is coming though...eventually 😕

• Like 2

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:27 PM, Jose EB5AGV said:

Another interesting video on the internals of the MONTAGE-M

BTW, what I sort of hate of these reviews is that the previous model is completely bashed, as having inferior DACs and ADCs, not enough CPU power and so slow GUI operation, less storage RAM, less sound engines and such. So, well, what should we do with them and all the previous models, as MOTIF series?. Trash them as crappy instruments?

Well, my view is different. Yes, newer in this case seems better (except for the power supply 😆). But, as happened the other day on a nearby venue, when a funk band keyboard player used no less than a KORG M1 as his only board (and only with internal sounds), and did a wonderful job, I would say the instrument is just a tiny part of the overall result and so, as an example, both my MONTAGE and MODX+ are more than capable of sounding excellent, if properly played and programmed

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

BTW, what I sort of hate of these reviews is that the previous model is completely bashed, as having inferior DACs and ADCs, not enough CPU power and so slow GUI operation, less storage RAM, less sound engines and such. So, well, what should we do with them and all the previous models, as MOTIF series?. Trash them as crappy instruments?

Well, my view is different. Yes, newer in this case seems better (except for the power supply 😆). But, as happened the other day on a nearby venue, when a funk band keyboard player used no less than a KORG M1 as his only board (and only with internal sounds), and did a wonderful job, I would say the instrument is just a tiny part of the overall result and so, as an example, both my MONTAGE and MODX+ are more than capable of sounding excellent, if properly played and programmed

I don’t see it as “bashing” the previous gen. I see it as awareness of what the new gen can do and future possibilities. God knows, I wish I never sold my Oberheim Modular 8 Voice but if you compared its “specs” to anything today, you would never buy it. I agree, it’s not about just specs but, would you spend $50k for a refurbed CS-80 plus a bunch of outboard gear/effects plug-ins if you could get damn close for $4k? 

Income, lifestyle and several another key factors can only answer that question for each of us…I’m thrilled with my M8x and will surely be pissed when the next gen comes out but, that’s life!

Like a very good friend of mine said, “If you can afford to, do it. How many new cars will you drive before you drop dead?”

• Like 3

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

When I sold my Montage8 after buying the M8. The person who purchased it from me, in my view, has obtained a superb instrument for a really good price.

I didn't upgrade mine because the original was lacking in performance or sound quality, but I always had issues with the BHE action not being responsive enough for my technique. I did at one stage consider changing it for an original Montage 6, and using another action as a controller. The M is still to me, and incremental upgrade in many respects. I was just dazzled by the GEX action potential, and the improved analog out specs, but these instruments are just symptomatic of the drip fed never ending upward spiral in tech. If they had brought out an original Montage with the new action, I may have still considered that.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

9 hours ago, Motif88 said:

Like a very good friend of mine said, “If you can afford to, do it. How many new cars will you drive before you drop dead?”

Luckily I could afford a new MONTAGE. But I trust it won't make me a better player. So will do what I did with my current ones, will buy one when they are sold used at about half current price. Meanwhile will continue learning! (I understand it may be different for accomplished players)

7 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Luckily I could afford a new MONTAGE. But I trust it won't make me a better player. So will do what I did with my current ones, will buy one when they are sold used at about half current price. Meanwhile will continue learning! (I understand it may be different for accomplished players)

I've always done the trade in/trade up along with selling my previous gen gear. My out of pocket for the Montage M8x was less than half the selling price.

Unfortunately, due to the destruction of retail, I can no longer trade in/trade up at Sam Ash. Guitar Center near me has always been a joke for keyboards. Shipping costs to sell via Reverb or Sweetwater Exchange are big factor.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

As an aside, I'm pretty shocked at how cheap shipping is on the Gear Exchange, if you use them to get the label.  Granted, the stuff I've priced out has been 61 key keyboards.  Estimates on my Summit that I just made, with double-boxing at about 35 pounds range from 25 to 40 bucks depending on where I'm shipping.  Add 1.5% for insurance, that ain't half bad.

Still hate shipping keyboards, but trying to sell locally has been about as much fun as whacking my toes with a hammer.