Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Orchestral Sample Libraries

I’m looking for recommendations for Orchestral sample libraries. 

I need fast attack articulations suitable for rhythmic music styles. I already own BBC orchestra from Spitfire Audio, but it’s all slow attack sounds. 

I could also use solo woodwind instruments…

thanks

Darren

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Not that there are not people here that know their stuff, but I recommend heading over to vi-control for more opinions.  That is their wheelhouse.  I'm over there too, but I'm more of a hanger-on looking in on somewhat of a foreign world.  

A product I'm currently considering is Musio 1, which gives you mostly-full versions of almost everything Cinesamples has done so far for quite a low price compared to buying them all for Kontakt.   It's a new thing and there is some uncertainty about it, but given that they have had a good rep for many years that gives me some reassurance.  it's not subscription unless you want that model.   Now, if I only needed strings it might be cheaper to just buy a strings library or two...maybe.  That's how relatively cheap Musio is.

I hear a lot of good things about the company that does Cinematic Studio Strings, VSL, Audiobro (despite the name!) and some others.   My impression is that none of them do everything perfectly so, as you are doing, you look for the aspect you need.   Also, there are always discussions about the recordings and mic positions--something recorded in one big hall that is more ambient might not mesh with a closed-mic recording from another place.  Like I said, it's a whole 'nother fascinating world to me, who is coming from rock mixing and synths.

I haven't even fired up the orchestral libraries  I got in Komplete Ultimate not long ago so even knowing that they aren't really highly-rated compared to the big dogs, I'll probably hold off during these tempting Black Friday times.  Maybe.  :)  

• Like 1

I haven't used these yet so I can't say they are what you want but I do own the following:

Originals: Epic Choir

Philharmonik 2

Synful Orchestra 

They probably have trial periods so you could see if you like them. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have Originals: Epic Strings but I'm not sure it has the fast attack type strings in question.  Maybe not the same genre, but I mocked up a disco tune for my band and really struggled trying to get aggressive enough strings :)  

1 minute ago, Stokely said:

I have Originals: Epic Strings but I'm not sure it has the fast attack type strings in question.  Maybe not the same genre, but I mocked up a disco tune for my band and really struggled trying to get aggressive enough strings :)  

Yeah I have that but it’s too slow. Native Instruments Session Strings is okay but small sounding, think it’s only quartet. 

47 minutes ago, Stokely said:

vi-control

What’s that? Or should I say, where is that?

• Like 1

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

There's so much stuff out there now.

I have Sonuscore The Orchestra 3. It has articulations suitable for fast rhythmic sequences, and incorporates a very versatile sequencer for creating your tracks. There's a ton of templates in the style you're looking for, and the programmer who created it was enlisted by East West to incorporate it in their Orchestrator engine.

In my opinion TOC3 is more versatile and a bigger sound than NI Session Strings Pro 2, Action Strings 2 Pro etc. (Which are also good for your application), but the level of library quality, while as good as the NI stuff is a notch lower than EW, Sptifire etc. But when used the way you intend, probably better suited.

It's worth taking a look at, it's not only strings but the entire orchestration if you desire. I've had it for years, but still haven't played the entire library or templates.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

What kind of expense will you accept and what is your level of practical need? Orchestras with a fuller set of articulations abound, but they live at the top of the price list. You know you've arrived if it offers al tallone!

I get great use from my Spitfire subsets, but I'm not at the full orchestral level. A lot of what I need is reached by blending two and three sources. That's how I get a haunting bowed bass that will loosen the nuts on a truck at twenty paces.

Its a small "s" shame that you don't have a ROMpler. (The KIWI-8P is a lovely little beast, but its VA, no samples.) Its not the 100% pure approach, but some of them contain excellent orchestral components. Every ROMpler has an "Arco Strings" patch with added bite.

I know it may be a reach, but $199 will land you this ultimate Triton, which is one way to get a lot of added colors under your belt. That includes some orchestral resources. The GUI is a breeze, the history is deep and the sound quality, exemplary. Just for your consideration. There are similar instruments, but I have a Korg bias.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/kc_triton/

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

Have you tried the EastWest stuff?  A ton of variety as far as I'm concerned, with many different articulations.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

3 minutes ago, Justin Havu said:

Have you tried the EastWest stuff?  A ton of variety as far as I'm concerned, with many different articulations.

I find the EW Hollywood Opus to be great sounding with tons of articulations, but personally have had trouble with it's versatility. It only allows one activation, so I tend to shy away from incorporating it in many of my compositions because I move from Desktop to Laptop often, and it's just inconvenient to move all the time. Also It keeps crashing Logic Pro unpredictably.

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

The only way around having just one activation, I think, would be to place it on an actual iLok dongle, then move that between computers, unless EW doesn't allow for that.  However, I've only ever used an iLok for a few months back when I had ProTools 9, and that was over 13 years ago.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

2 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

What’s that? Or should I say, where is that?

VI-Control is a forum site that mostly contains extensive discussions of orchestral sample libraries. Here's a relevant thread with examples of fast attack articulations:

Shorts Shootout

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

32 minutes ago, Justin Havu said:

The only way around having just one activation, I think, would be to place it on an actual iLok dongle, then move that between computers, unless EW doesn't allow for that.  However, I've only ever used an iLok for a few months back when I had ProTools 9, and that was over 13 years ago.

That becomes problematic on the laptop, with the limited number of usb ports I have available. Why can't EW at least have 2 activations like everyone else? That would solve my problem, and I would readily use it more seriously.😀

I paid the full standalone price, not subscription.  (I apologise, I don't want to derail the thread)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

I’m looking for recommendations for Orchestral sample libraries. 

I need fast attack articulations suitable for rhythmic music styles. I already own BBC orchestra from Spitfire Audio, but it’s all slow attack sounds. 

I could also use solo woodwind instruments…

thanks

Darren

What version of BBC do you have?  Even the Discover edition has spiccato and staccato articulations. Usually one of those work. Some libraries have short marcato samples or other short articulations.  Any professional string library will have these from VSL, Orchestral Tools, East-West Hollywood/Opus series, etc. you can look in the sample content to see what short articulations are available. 

To clarify, I want fast attack strings that sustain, for fast flowing lines. Short samples won’t do the job. 

4 hours ago, George88 said:

I am happy with LA Scoring Strings 3 by Audiobro!

Yes this looks and sounds like it might be the answer, especially as it has a look-head feature to make sure the parts play in time. 

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

7 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

That becomes problematic on the laptop, with the limited number of usb ports I have available. Why can't EW at least have 2 activations like everyone else? That would solve my problem, and I would readily use it more seriously.😀

I paid the full standalone price, not subscription.  (I apologise, I don't want to derail the thread)

I get that, especially where you're on a laptop, and for the price EW charges, you'd think 2 licenses wouldn't be an issue.

Not an issue for me, as I use a single desktop PC.  The tradeoff for having the extra power and expandability that a desktop can offer, is lack of portability.

Hardware

Software

8 hours ago, dazzjazz said:

To clarify, I want fast attack strings that sustain, for fast flowing lines. Short samples won’t do the job. 

Yes this looks and sounds like it might be the answer, especially as it has a look-head feature to make sure the parts play in time. 

look for Marcato Long articulations. They will have bite and the sustain. You may have to edit the note lengths to get it right. 

• Like 2

I echo the recommendation for vi-control, those dudes get wild over there about sample libraries.

I've been using the Cinematic Studio series for years, using the strings for several scores. They're not the most versatile in articulation (none of the crazy stuff you can do in offerings such as VSL, even the budget version), but they get a good sound without much tweaking and the interface is really easy to use. I've been tempted to try out EastWest because of how often they put things on sale, and their monthly subscription might be an affordable way to check out what they got.

Speaking of which, VSL does a 30 day trial for their budget series, Synchron Prime. I haven't tried it yet, but I was really impressed with how fully-featured their older Prime series was, but apparently the Synchron player has a much better interface than their older stuff.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 2:19 PM, dazzjazz said:

I already own BBC orchestra from Spitfire Audio, but it’s all slow attack sounds. 

An all too frequent complaint. You are not alone and I feel it too as a user of BBCSO Pro. Yes, VI-control is the nerve center for this kind of thing.

The negative track delay adjustment compiled by David Kudell is helpful to me. I find that I don't need to truncate the Attack setting in the Spitfire App  nearly as much if I use more negative track delay. You can scroll down to find BBCSO in the spreadsheet.

Still, I can tell that your concerns are broader than just spiccato ostinati...