Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cherry Audio PS3300

2 hours ago, marino said:

Wait a minute: The factory demo video mentioned that the PS series used divide-down circuits. This is new to me; I have always thought that it had true whole polyphony, one voice card per key. Does anyone know the truth?

The Korg PS-3300 is full polyphony. 48 synthesizers per key times 3, for a total of 144 individual envelopes, and filter circuits! The oscillators are indeed divide-down from 12 master oscillators per panel, which is why the Temperament Controls allow you to detune the individual notes. What this means is that every C, C#, D, etc. key will be in perfect tune with all others.

Without the divide-down design, the task of tuning 144 individual analog oscillators would likely be a nightmare. And of course the divide-down oscillator design allowed them to save on circuitry for a synthesizer that is already packed full of an insane amount of wires and circuitry.

In comparison, the Polymoog also uses divide-down oscillators, but unlike the PS-3300, the envelopes are filters are paraphonic. This compromise led to the Polymoog being a much more 'portable' instrument, but the paraphonic nature pales in comparison to the PS-3300's immense capabilities.

Dan @ Cherry Audio

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

Thanks Dan, the PS3300 is one of the few historical synths that I've never played... btw it's clearer now: It's true polyphony except for the oscillators, which are based on frequency dividers.
And of course, now I'm curious about the lfos... global or poly? :D

My one issue is simple: do I have the fortitude to do right by a modular, even a semi-normalized one? It'll depend on whether or not I can find a decent angle on it. I can look at it as 3 beefed-up MonoPolys in a box. I had one for a while and liked the tone; three in one place will likely banish the thinness of the original. I like seeing the issues with old brute-force approaches become meaningless because CPU power banishes them. 

I can't seem to make the leap to an Oberheim Four/Eight-Voice. The 3300 feels like a more accessible form to me, partly due to my Korg history. Next: simmering in the inevitable hot tub of sound demos, deciding if it fills a need or if its just shiny. Cherry Audio does shiny quite well. 💪

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

Cherry Audio's GX80 is where I find deep, yet subtle sounds.

This one's different.  A bit of the brash MonoPoly vibe but with more layers and polyphony. Plus, the MS20 filter opens up a world of edgy tones you could never get from a MonoPoly. A must-try for me.

17 hours ago, cherryDan said:

Without the divide-down design, the task of tuning 144 individual analog oscillators would likely be a nightmare.

I used to spend 3 hours every Sunday tuning the 18 oscillators in my MemoryMoog. I cannot imagine 144. By the time you got the last one tuned the first one would be out again.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

23 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

....and the option to choose between the PS filter or a nastier MS filter. 😎

dB

Pardon the dumb question, but what's a PS filter, and what's an MS filter?   I mean, I know about filters, basically, but I just don't know what those terms, PS and MS, mean.   Tried googling it to no avail.   Does it mean something specific, or could they just as well have been named "Filter A" and Filter B"?

7 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Pardon the dumb question, but what's a PS filter, and what's an MS filter?   I mean, I know about filters, basically, but I just don't know what those terms, PS and MS, mean.   Tried googling it to no avail. 

PS filter is a model of the filter in the actual PS-3300 synthesizer. The MS filter is the filter that Korg had in the MS-20 among others.

• Thanks 2

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

1 minute ago, Mike Martin said:

One of a model of the filter in the actual PS-3300 synthesizer. The MS filter is the filter that Korg had in the MS-20 among others.

I see.    Thanks!    I suspected that PS-style referred to the original PS-3300, but couldn't figure out what MS-style might refer to.

While I don't currently NEED another synth, I 💗 Cherry Audio, so I've been looking for a way to justify this one. I'm afraid I found it.

If I layer three instances, I can theoretically build one hell of a Trident. Oh dear, they handed a bottle of Old Fortran to a synth lush.

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz