Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Octave Leslie simulation

Once upon a time I measured a set of impulse responses of the horn and drum of my 142 Leslie.  They were measured at each of 16 angles of rotation.  It was about twenty years before I did anything with them.   After I retired in 2018, I worked on the simulation for three months, eventually porting it into a TI TMS320C6748 low-cost development kit (floating point DSP).  I was going to make myself a Leslie simulator.  Then just after that I bought a Ventilator.  Why build what you can buy right?  The thing is, though it could use some work, I like the Octave simulation better.  To me, it sounds more like a Leslie in a room, probably because it was from a Leslie in a room, my living room.

The following is a link to a google site I created to allow someone to audition these.  The mp3s are hosted on my google drive.  I presume there should be access to them.

Leslie speaker - Octave sim

I couldn't get the 1st track to play, silence even if I moved the cursor into what should be the sound track.

2nd track played and sounded great, I like it!!! Kudos!!!

3rd track also sounded very good but I preferred the 2nd track to be honest. Well done. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

First track played for me, as did the other two.  Octave sounded quite natural -- I'd happily use it.  Vent seemed to have (add?) a little more lower-mid presence than the octave; that felt a tad warmer.

I'm quite happy with my Kurzweil Leslie, but I think both Octave and Vent sound even better, especially in isolation from the noise of a band.

Amen to KuruPrionz's Kudos!

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

That sounds really good! All three files work for me - I find I like the sound of the Octave sim best.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

More about the simulation (though the details are quite hazy):

• The bass driver was a P15LL reconed by Gordy Kjellberg.
  • The horn driver was one sold by Goff at the time, equiv. to an Atlas PD5A.
  • The IRs capture the room response as well as the direct response.
  • The IRs were captured with an HP3562A Dynamic Signal Analyzer at 65536 sps.
  • The microphone was an MD421 spaced approx. 2-3 ft from the cabinet.
  • The crossover was bypassed for the measurement.
  • The crossover in the simulation is a LR4 @ 800 Hz (the stock x-over has ~ 6 dB dip @ 800 Hz)
  • The IRs were measured at low power (3W to 5W) using a solid-state amp.
  • The IRs were normalized as a set -- the same gain value was applied to all IRs.
  • There was no effort to optimize the balance between drum and horn. The gain of each is as it was measured.
  • The left and right signals for a rotor were generated corresponding to a pi/2 angular offset, equivalent to a 90 degree microphone angular separation. This could be easily changed to any pi/8 angular separation.

The reasons I wanted to play with this again:

• To capture the IR of a stock Leslie horn driver
  • To get a more realistic room response for a stereo presentation using a figure-8 microphone in an X/Y configuration
  • Different "rooms"

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

Are you planning to create an outboard pedal for this, a VST, or just do nothing?

I haven't thought about it, but now that you mention it...   If I do anything (rather than nothing 😉 ), I suppose a VST would be the obvious choice.  Developing a commercial pedal seems a little daunting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elif said:

The reasons I wanted to play with this again:

• To capture the IR of a stock Leslie horn driver
  • To get a more realistic room response for a stereo presentation using a figure-8 microphone in an X/Y configuration
  • Different "rooms"

Consider using a small guitar amplifier to drive the speakers since you are recording at reasonable volumes. A Fender Champ (good chance you can borrow one!) or Vox AC5, all tube, 5 watts and both have small inexpensive speakers that do not showcase just how good they are. I used to gig with a Champ head plugged into an EV 12L, monster tone!!!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

By the way, when you say 'Octave', are you referring to the software package that is similar to Matlab?

I'm a bit surprised that 16 angular positions is enough for such an authentic sound. I assume you interpolate between adjacent pairs of IRs, in a similar fashion to what the vibrato scanner does. Great work anyhow.

55 minutes ago, jverghese said:

By the way, when you say 'Octave', are you referring to the software package that is similar to Matlab?

I'm a bit surprised that 16 angular positions is enough for such an authentic sound. I assume you interpolate between adjacent pairs of IRs, in a similar fashion to what the vibrato scanner does. Great work anyhow.

Yes, Matlab -> Octave. Regarding the number of impulses. I was surprised too, but it's what I had to work with.  A simulation I did of an A-100 chorus/vibrato, here, is what led me to try the same approach on this simulation, essentially cross-fading FIR outputs, complicated by the two different rotational velocities and the accel/decl between them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macsaint777 said:

Yours sounds excellent. But I would say that the Vent II version has the vent set way slower and further back than most of us would expect. 

This....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band