Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amazing niche product (Standalone Modwheel/Pitch bend with other features as well)

https://atemp.ru/en/products/atemp_mc1.html

For years I lusted after a standalone pitchbend/modwheel. I bought this as soon as I discovered it, but then due to a gigging semi-hiatus over the pandemic, and some rig changes, did not have a pressing need. I've decided to get a MainStage rig going again, and also my 2 digital pianos - a Yamaha YC88 and Nord Grand, either have no wheels (Nord) or little levers that I am not fully comfortable with (Yamaha). I did some experimenting, and this is a brilliant product, because it is also a usb/midi interface, and can act as a midi merger.

1. Use case 1 - Yamaha with MainStage:   MC1 midi Din into Yamaha, set to use Port 2 (see manual), Usb into laptop acting carrying both midi and audio. Not only gives you pitch bend and mod wheels, but can send program changes to MainStage without affecting the YC88. Super Cool.

2. Use case 2 - Nord Grand midi DIN out into MC1. MC1 Midi out to Key Largo. Key Largo connected to MainStage vis USB. 

There are more configurations to check out. The MC1 gets its power via USB, which can be simply a power source, or a device to which it is connected. Manual is a little bit cryptic due to translation, but easy enough to suss out with the unit in front of you.  

It also has four programmable knobs - but using MainStage, leaving them as the default CCs is easiest as they can be mapped anywhere.  There are 2 buttons that can be used to send program changes to MainStage - great if you are like me and have MainStage sets with relatively few instruments loaded up. If you have a lot though, and wish to jump from patch 1 to patch 20, it probably wouldn't suffice in that roll.

Super useful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

4 hours ago, bill5 said:

I wanted something like this FOREVER....except a joystick, not the wheels, which I don't like. And not one of those ridiculously tiny joysticks either. Sigh. Hopefully it will happen

Same here. I don't know how the shape of the box might work out in real-time, although the design looks solid. I got spoiled as hell by how perfectly the Korg 01W joystick fit my hand. I have a controller with wheels that behave well, but a joystick version of this could make my Xmas list.

• Like 1

"Stay tuned for a new band: Out Of Sync."
     ~ "The Vet Life"

I'm not sure how a small box with a joystick wouldn't flip off onto the floor if it was sitting on or next to the keyboard. Even with velcro it's going to move around a little bit.

It's an interesting product that I also wished for at times although if I bought one now it would be gathering dust until some future time. Sadly, niche products like this disappear after a couple years and aren't available when you get around to wanting one.

FunMachine.

38 minutes ago, Baldwin Funster said:

I'm not sure how a small box with a joystick wouldn't flip off onto the floor if it was sitting on or next to the keyboard. Even with velcro it's going to move around a little bit.

Not if it's designed well.

Really what I've wanted for many years is keyboards with a modular design in that left-hand area, so you could "plug n play" whatever you wanted there...wheels, a joystick, along with ones of diff sizes etc. If I owned or managed one of the major producers of keyboards, I'd make this happen. I think it would sell. 

I've actually been in the process of building one of these. It's an Arduino based project.  Pitch & Modwheel, 2 sliders and two knobs.

My issue with the Atemp MC1 is the size, specifically the height. What I'm hoping to have when I'm done is something with a much smaller footprint. I'll keep you posted.

• Cool 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

16 hours ago, bill5 said:

I wanted something like this FOREVER....except a joystick, not the wheels, which I don't like. And not one of those ridiculously tiny joysticks either. Sigh. Hopefully it will happen

It exists. 

https://reverb.com/item/65188036-midi-rock-stone-2023-black

uzxmaihqimfoxxuinygj.thumb.webp.8ea1e08fddb9450148870c41f2002f2f.webp

• Thanks 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

21 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

I've actually been in the process of building one of these. It's an Arduino based project.  Pitch & Modwheel, 2 sliders and two knobs.

My issue with the Atemp MC1 is the size, specifically the height. What I'm hoping to have when I'm done is something with a much smaller footprint. I'll keep you posted.

Great news, Mike. :2thu:
An humble suggestion: A pitch bend wheel and *two* assignable mod wheels. On the few instruments that I have played with this configuration, I have always found it incredibly useful: With some practice, all the wheels can be controlled at once with the left hand. As an alternative, one mod wheel and a touch slider, as on the Sequential Pro 3.

About 1 month ago i was tempted into buying an Electro 5 but knew it lacked a pitch/mod wheel so i started to look for a midi alternative.  I found this exact product and wrote to them for a price, $185 plus $15 shipping and handling. Although I liked the product I couldnt swallow $200 simply to add to the E5, so i passed on both the pitch wheel assembly as well as the E5.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Another similar idea I've had but will probably never see in reality is a joystick/ pitch, mod wheel controller that is high quality dsp audio. With this you can get pitch/ mod change on instruments that dont or cant support it via midi. Guitar players have a whammy pedal so the thing could easily happen.

FunMachine.

3 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

That’s the second smallest one! They have two with even more controls, including one that has at least 17 different ones, all ergonomically designed to easily be reached by the left hand.

People who have known and worked with me for a long time now that I am an absolute freak for this kind of left hand control. I don’t care how much it costs, I don’t care if I never use it… I must own this thing!

mike

• Haha 1

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

I’m still using my old Yamaha MCS2, so I know how useful a product like this could be. However, I see a box with squared corners. I wonder if such a device  could be made with a more ergonomic design to fit the contours of the left hand - one that could accommodate players who P bend with their thumb and people (like me) who use their middle finger. Then again, I am a niche within a niche. I hope that a Ukrainian company could improve on the design. 

12 hours ago, Piktor said:

I’m still using my old Yamaha MCS2, so I know how useful a product like this could be. However, I see a box with squared corners. I wonder if such a device  could be made with a more ergonomic design to fit the contours of the left hand - one that could accommodate players who P bend with their thumb and people (like me) who use their middle finger. Then again, I am a niche within a niche. I hope that a Ukrainian company could improve on the design. 

I miss my MCS2 every once in a while, until I see a photograph of one, and remember how gigantic it was. Great idea, incredibly handy, especially with the breath control input. But I’ve had drum machines that were smaller.

I was contemplating the design of that new box, and thinking how very Soviet it looked. So the Ukrainian comment put a big smile on my face.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The cost of producing even a basic version is as much as a decent 3 octave controller keyboard like the A300 Pro. 

I have built several mainly aimed at the Electro market but they work with any device that has midi. Just 2 wheels and a nice metal box is £50 then you need all the electronics.

I got some interest on Nord forums until we started talking about price. Like Delaware Dave says the extra $200 dollars is a bit much. My version does give you other features like vibrato, mono mode and free split. But my prediction is the Electro 7 will feature those - but maybe not the free split.

The cheapest option is the joystick and the box can be smaller and low profile. I’m building a third one with a Roland bender which is my preferred option.

Niche = Expensive

Someone like Guido at GMLab could probably build them at a good price.

https://www.gmlab.it/

This one is attached to P121 and iPad - provides Exp Pedal for VB3m and the pots can be mapped. 

IMG_2141.jpeg

This one is connected to the Nord Electro Ext to lo function and I don't need a 2nd board to access the Lo part. Provides lots of functions like splitting on the fly and even Flip to swap Upper and Lower. The extra MIDI out lets you control an external synth at the same time. Pots and the stick can be mapped too.

IMG_2142.jpeg

Here's the bender version - doesn't fit in the box so I mounted it on the outside!!! I think that's called thinking outside the box!

IMG_1426.thumb.jpeg.1ca63244eec2ebeacad637caed068f0a.jpeg

• Like 1