Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Geoff Grace

On 9/1/2023 at 1:01 PM, Geoff Grace said:

in short, I’m hoping that all three of my favorite teams will finish with six or more wins.

I'd say they're roughly on their way to that result: the Packers are 2-4. the Rams are 3-4, and the Broncos are 2-5.

If this pattern continues, Green Bay could wind up at 6-11, LA at 7-10, and Denver at 5-12.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Great underdog story!! A guy from a small Division II school in West Virginia is undrafted, seemingly destined to go unnoticed.

He makes the Chicago Bears team because a scout saw something special in him. 

He beats out two NFL veterans to become the backup quarterback.

In his first start, he leads a poor Bears team to a 30-12 victory over the Las Vegas Raiders.

• Like 5

My Browns are 4-2. The worst 4-2 team in history, but 4-2 is 4-2.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's coming. They won't finish 12-5.

But that defense is making up for their Division III offense. So solid, despite injuries.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Jordan Addison is playing out of his mind.  2 TD catches, latest one on wrestling the ball away from Ward, who thought he had an INT, then running the other way 60 yds.   Ward is going to hear it all way from fellow DBs - you don't a WR do you that way.

Niners also missed a FG attempt.  And uncharacteristically sloppy tackling against the Vikings not-so-typically vaunted rushing attack.

• Confused 1

Greenlaw is the only Niner D starter that comes to mind as struggling with injuries.   Not familiar with the other names on the injury report - backups maybel?   They are however missing Deebo on offense,  Kittle has been in and out with some nagging issue.

Vikings are without Justin Jefferson.   Addison was killing it in his absence but he just left the field with an injury.  Hockinson might also be out.

Our secondary is very porous and suspect.

And I wonder what our defensive coordinator has been serving up, to help make Cousins look like a surgeon. This looks like someone took our defense from the Dallas game and substituted a bunch of guys into those uniforms. 

With the missed FG, it appears it now becomes Purdy's game to win or lose.

Another pick!  

Vikings must have been tired of hearing all week how the Niners were going to waltz in and beat them up at home.  Their oft criticized D logged 3 takeaways.  Cousins passed over 400 yds.  Addison had a great game.  They raised the physicality of their play to match the Niners, without losing discipline.

This is the part of the season when the underdogs topple the favorites, as mentioned earlier.  

Condolences, Tim, on the Niners' loss. I still think they're one of the best teams in the NFL. Everybody has a rough patch from time to time.

As for me, I'm glad to see the Vikings win. I'm not the fan I was during the Purple People Eater, Fran Tarkenton days; but I still like the team.

Best,

Geoff

I was sure the 49ers would make up for losing to the Browns. 

Lions and Packers lost. Da Bears and Vikings won. NFC North might be wide open.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

Lions and Packers lost. Da Bears and Vikings won. NFC North might be wide open.😁😎

My thoughts as well. It's not surprising though, as none of the teams are reliably good or bad at this point. Typically, the Packers were reliably good and the Lions were reliably bad; but the Packers are in a rare quarterback transition and the Lions have been slowly improving over the last couple of years, so neither team is what it once was. The Vikings and the Bears have taken turns vying for first with the Packers, so it's not unusual for either of them to be in the mix.

It'll be interesting to see how things evolve moving ahead. I'll be surprised if the Lions don't win the division, but they've got a long history to overcome first.

Best,

Geoff

I've always felt that despite the expectations of sports pundits and TV commercials, QB Baker Mayfield is over-hyped too. He's an average QB with more swag than talent.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"