Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Geoff Grace

18 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Artificial turf may not have caused QB Aaron Rodgers' injury.

Speculation is that QB Rodgers was already concerned about the Jets offensive line blocking scheme:

https://wisportsheroics.com/aaron-rodgers-injury-new-york-jets/

QB Rodgers felt cut-blocks didn't give him enough time to extend plays. Sure enough, Bills LB Leonard Floyd blew past the Jets Tackle and dumped the QB.

There's also a story that QB Rodgers could be wearing a headset as Jets QBs coach.😎

I think that artificial turf was at most merely a contributing factor to Aaron Rodgers’s injury. At the same time, I also think that there is pretty clear evidence that artificial turf is more hazardous than grass. I wouldn’t be surprised if the NFLPA were seizing the moment while there’s a high-profile injury on artificial turf to call for its eradication, as it’s easier to raise public awareness when it’s part of the top story.

It does seem to me that there is interest in Rodgers coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets used him in that capacity.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

iIRC turf has a long history of being known for causing/contributing to injuries, esp a twisted leg etc type of things. I always hated it. Besides, football is meant to be played on grass. If it costs more to maintain, somehow I suspect the owners who are millionaires literally hundreds of times over can manage. 

I can't stand Rodgers but I also was interested to see what would happen with him as QB for the Jets. Frankly I felt the D and run game would carry them at best, as it did against the Bills. He's way past his prime to put it mildly.

32 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Besides, football is meant to be played on grass. If it costs more to maintain, somehow I suspect the owners who are millionaires literally hundreds of times over can manage. 

Agreed. Football should be played on grass.

The billionaire owners can definitely afford to change the playing surface in their stadiums.

Greed is usually the motivating factor in going with the cheaper alternative. Saving a few pennies in using carpet instead of buying sod is petty.🤣😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

OBJ's injury at SoFi Stadium during the Superbowl highlighted the most glaring flaw in that shiny new stadium that they're oh so proud of - the goddam turf.

For the people who pay the beaucoup bucks to watch an NFL game in person, it's such a ripoff for them when they cannot see their favorite stars play because said star players got hurt by the turf.

SoFi is in southern California for eff's sake.  The weather is perfect for a grass field.  So just use a freaking grass field already.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

OBJ's injury at SoFi Stadium during the Superbowl highlighted the most glaring flaw in that shiny new stadium that they're oh so proud of - the goddam turf.

...And the Rams followed their Super Bowl win by placing 23 players on Injured Reserve last season. Now I'll grant that playing postseason games adds injury risk, but playing those games on artificial turf certainly doesn't help.

Best,

Geoff

Some form of artificial turf has been used since 1968.   

Right now, 14 out of 30 NFL teams use artificial turf.  

It could be an interesting project to determine how many season or career-ending injuries have occurred over a 53 year period as a result of artificial turf.

Again, while I think football should be played on grass, the players have been running around on carpet for over a century.😁

As an aside, I think most modern football injuries can be attributed to 1) steroid usage and 2) strength and condition straining. 

Today's football players are bigger, stronger and faster but more brittle.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Offensive touchback for a turnover.

Never seen that before.

You’ve never seen anyone fumble the ball out of the end zone on the way to scoring?  Usually happens right there, on the side…but occasionally it’ll go skipping out of the back of the end zone.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

2 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

You’ve never seen anyone fumble the ball out of the end zone on the way to scoring?  Usually happens right there, on the side…but occasionally it’ll go skipping out of the back of the end zone.

dB

Believe it or not, yes, this is the first time I have ever noticed a fumble for a touchback resulting in the opposing offense getting the ball on the 20 yard line.

The Chargers have an extensive repertoire of plays for screwing up a game but this one is not in their playbook.  I'm sure Staley took notes though.

• Haha 1

Yeah the way it happened wasn’t obvious though Al Michaels seemed to think it was as straightforward as an incomplete pass.  

Fumble before the end zone and goes out of bounds in the end zone is the explanation. 

That rule makes as much sense as the entire concept of grown gigantic men wearing pajamas with head protection trying to put each other in the hospital, so I just go with the flow.    

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The fumble and touchback rarely happens but the rule has been around for quite some time.

WR Justin Jefferson owned the fumble on the play.  He didn't protest it.

Letting RB Dalvin Cook walk is going to haunt Minny all season long.

As mentioned during the broadcast, the Vikes will not be going to the playoffs this year.

The Eagles offensive play-calling could be better.  Otherwise, while not a dominant team, they are solid in all phase of the game. 😎

PD

41 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Letting RB Dalvin Cook walk is going to haunt Minny all season long.

As mentioned during the broadcast, the Vikes will not be going to the playoffs this year.

:yeahthat:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Chargers fall to 0-2, losing in OT to the Titans.   Wonder if Staley will last a season if the losses keep piling up.    This year he can't throw the OC under the bus.

Ravens-Bengals was one of the games I could watch live for free.  🙂  Good hard-fought contest.  Flowers and Agholor looking good as Lamar's newest weapons.

Packers-Falcons was also good.  Nice 4th quarter comeback by the Falcons.

15 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Chargers fall to 0-2, losing in OT to the Titans.   Wonder if Staley will last a season if the losses keep piling up.    This year he can't throw the OC under the bus.

Ravens-Bengals was one of the games I could watch live for free.  🙂  Good hard-fought contest.  Flowers and Agholor looking good as Lamar's newest weapons.

Packers-Falcons was also good.  Nice 4th quarter comeback by the Falcons.

Man I don't know what to say...when you can't beat the Titans....

I was flipping between those other two games too. I mostly watched GB vs ATL but every time I flipped to the other one, the Ravens were tearing it up and the Bengals looked like crap. I know it's only two games, but 0-2 tends to be a death knell for a team with SB aspirations.....

GB and ATL looked pretty good overall, good game. Ridder needs to improve on his accuracy but he might (might) be the answer at QB. Robinson is IMO easily the best RB in the NFL.

QB Anthony Richardson electrified while he's on the field and goes out with a concussion. The blessing and curse of a running QB. 

The Commamders dug themselves into a hole early and managed to climb out in the 2nd half.

I remember a HC Sean Payton led Saints team overcame a 2 score deficit with about 5 minutes left against the old Redskins. 

Let's hope this Commanders team can hold onto victory.😎

PD

Congrats to ProfD on the Commanders' 35-33 win over the Broncos. I missed the game, but I hope that Denver is at least beginning to improve.

I expected the 49ers to beat the Rams today; but even so, LA is faring better than I expected. The highlight of the first two games has been Rams receiver Puka Nacua, who became the first player in NFL history with 10 or more catches and 100 receiving yards or more in each of his first two games! Once Cooper Kupp returns, the two receivers should be a tough pair to cover, especially since Matthew Stafford seems to be back to his old self again.

The Packers’ loss in Atlanta was more disappointing because they blew a 24-12 lead. Nonetheless, Jordan Love is still at his beginning as a starter; and he’s handling the job pretty well so far. It didn’t help that Aaron Jones, Christian Watson, and David Bakhtiari were out. Green Bay is 1-1 at the end of a two game road trip; but they’re still tied for first with the Lions, who also lost today.

Best,

Geoff

32 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

Congrats to ProfD on the Commanders' 35-33 win over the Broncos. I missed the game, but I hope that Denver is at least beginning to improve.

I expected the 49ers to beat the Rams today; but even so, LA is faring better than I expected. The highlight of the first two games has been Rams receiver Puka Nacua, who became the first player in NFL history with 10 or more catches and 100 receiving yards or more in each of his first two games! Once Cooper Kupp returns, the two receivers should be a tough pair to cover, especially since Matthew Stafford seems to be back to his old self again.

Agreed; so far he's been a nice and badly needed surprise. 

The Packers’ loss in Atlanta was more disappointing because they blew a 24-12 lead. Nonetheless, Jordan Love is still at his beginning as a starter; and he’s handling the job pretty well so far. It didn’t help that Aaron Jones, Christian Watson, and David Bakhtiari were out. Green Bay is 1-1 at the end of a two game road trip; but they’re still tied for first with the Lions, who also lost today.

Yeah, IMO the future looks bright in GB. Love is legit and it's such a young team. I wouldn't be surprised if they came on stronger in the second half and made a playoff push. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

Congrats to ProfD on the Commanders' 35-33 win over the Broncos. 

Thanks brotha Geoff.

We know what they say about a win but the Commanders made that game more difficult than necessary especially with early turnovers.

If that wasn't enough, the Commanders gave up 9 points in less than 3 minutes including a hail mary TD with time expiring in regulation.

I cannot complain too much about the defense because they played well. Fewer mistakes on offense and the Commanders win these games more decisively.😎

• Like 1

PD

Winning on the road at Denver is a tough ask for any QB, especially one with 2 NFL starts under his belt.  Howell got the job done.  The only way he doesn't keep developing is if he gets pulled for Jacoby Brissett.

Dolphins looked like they were going to pull away, but the Patriots kept the game close.   The Fish D looked good against that Pats offense.

The main questions about the Dolphins is if Tua can stay healthy for most of the season, and if the D can keep improving.  If yes to both, they have a shot at winning the AFCE.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Winning on the road at Denver is a tough ask for any QB,

You're kidding right? Denver basically sucks.

And the Pats are so sorely lacking in play-makers...BB's aversion to grabbing top-notch WRs is really holding them back.

• Like 1