Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

1 hour ago, Joe Muscara said:

Funny how you didn't mention who they lost to. 🤔

:roll:

I have no problem mentioning the Cowbums beat Hoodie's team like a piñata.😁😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

20 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

NY Giants just demonstrated what happens if you try the Brotherly Shove without a QB that can squat 600 lbs. 🤔😁

dB

Right.🤣

Seahawks showed how to possibly stuff the play.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

NY Giants just demonstrated what happens if you try the Brotherly Shove without a QB that can bench 600 lbs. 🤔😁

With the gleefulness displayed at that turnover, I was surprised we didn't see the Seahawks pre-planned  to gather around and spread a blanket and mime eating a picnic lunch ala the usual stupidity of supposedly "grown men" in this league. 

But that’s consistent with Pete Caroll who is like 75 going on 16, and who encourages that type of BS from his players going back to his days at USC. 

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

But that’s consistent with Pete Caroll who is like 75 going on 16....

I'm kinda surprised that HC Carroll hasn't gotten a chewing gum commercial deal.🤣

QB Daniel Jones makes plays with his legs but he's still a turnover machine.

3 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Did I mention that the Giants “offensive” line could use some improvement? :idk: :facepalm:

dB

Despite drafting offensive lineman, the G-Men cannot protect their QB.

Seahawks have 8 sacks so far. It's not a record but nerve-rattling for a QB nonetheless. 😎

PD

The Giants signed QB Daniel Jones to a massive contract. I cannot imagine the terms of the deal included a porous offensive line and running for his life.

The Giants claim injuries are hampering their offensive line. That doesn't explain why it's been bad for 3 years and counting. Favorable draft picks haven't seemed to pan out either. 

The Giants coaching staff and scouting department get paid to figure it out.  They're not doing a very good job.😎 

• Like 1

PD

13 hours ago, bill5 said:

Actually the OL was good last year. I think the injury thing is probably legit. Hard to win games when key people are missing (starting OL, starting RB, etc).

Next man up. These dudes are paid professionals. Supposedly best in class. No excuses.😁

I don't see the coaching staff making adjustments to the play-calling and  protection after [insert # of sacks here]. 

If an offensive lineman is constantly getting beat, it only makes sense to *help* him and the QB.😎

• Like 1

PD

Seahawks were down four of their offensive line starters (Cross, Lewis, Haynes, Lucas) and their only starter played out of position (center Evan Brown covered at right guard). They got through the game utilizing two blocking tight ends. 

Sorry... Seahawks fan here. :)

21 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

Seahawks were down four of their offensive line starters....They got through the game utilizing two blocking tight ends. 

Sorry... Seahawks fan here. :)

No apology required.😁

HC Pete Caroll is one of the best in the business. 14 years at the helm. Dumped QB Russ Wilson on schedule.

HC Carroll knows how to prep a team and chew gum at the same time.🤣😎

• Like 2

PD

Chargers traded JC Jackson and a 7th round pick to the Patriots for a 6th round pick and a bit of help paying Jackson's 2023 salary.

For whatever reasons, the JC Jackson free agent signing was a bust for the Chargers.    Brandon Staley's public statements imply lack of work ethic on Jackson's part.  OTOH, Staley hasn't shown he can modify his schemes to fit the players at hand, except maybe Derwin James.

Christian Gonzalez' misfortune presented the opportunity for the Chargers to unload Jackson and his $80-something million contract, minus his 2022 and most of 2023 pay.  Patriots welcome back a veteran CB who was an All-Pro in the Belichick system.  Chargers free up his roster spot cap space for 2024 and beyond.

JC allowed a 20.5 average yards per reception and 59.4 completion percentage as a Bolt.   

On 10/3/2023 at 1:10 PM, ProfD said:

Next man up. These dudes are paid professionals. Supposedly best in class. No excuses.😁

I don't see the coaching staff making adjustments to the play-calling and  protection after [insert # of sacks here]. 

If an offensive lineman is constantly getting beat, it only makes sense to *help* him and the QB.😎

Afraid you lost me. Backups are backups for a reason. They aren't as good as the starters. So if a starter goes down, it's no surprise if play suffers. 

Can't speak to the play-calling, didn't see the game...but trust me, the Giants will be lucky to win 4-5 games this year. 

On 10/2/2023 at 7:26 AM, weegeebored said:

What do people see in Fields? He threw for 300+ for the first time in his NFL career (30 games) against a team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Then proceeded to get sacked, fumble, and let DEN scoop and score to close the gap. Then needing a FG to tie, he threw a bad ball that was picked to stymie any hope of a comeback.  His turnover stats for the 4th quarter are amazingly bad.  And we are not talking about a rookie here. This is his third year in the league. If anything he's regressed, his performance yesterday notwithstanding.

Gault was fast but he wasn't even the best receiver on the teams he was on. Bad hands. DJ Moore is a stud, a true #1. Harrison would be a nice pick, but a luxury. The Bears need a top QB, O-line help, and D-line help, especially edge rushers. I don't trust that Poles can evaluate talent.  Too early to evaluate his first draft which might turn out to be ok, but his FA signings have been god-awful.

Fields doesn't look great, but look at the buffoons coaching him. Name ONE player who is playing better with the Bears than their were for their previous team. There's a good chance that Fields is being ruined by those coaches. If they trade him to the Falcons (not going to happen, but let's play "what if"), the Falcons are probably going to be first in their division.

It's possible that Fields may not be a great NFL QB, but how would you know? The entire team plays so badly that even D.J. Moore doesn't look good. The only people who look good are Khalil Herbert, Roschon Johnson, and Cairo Santos. And you can pretty much guess why. They take the least amount of scheming.

The Bears are so bad that even Sam Mustipher, who was a grease fire with the Bears, looks good now.

Also - and now I'm going to start sounding like a Fields apologist when I'm not - go back and look at the replays of Fields' turnovers. Now, I'm not absolving him of blame completely, but the first turnover, Getsy had been scheming roll-outs where the tight end blocks every time. Except for THAT time. He schemed with no tight end, letting a  Nik Bonitto run in completely unblocked. Fields turns around and the guy's already on him. 

The second turnover, you can obviously see there's miscommunication. Kmet thinks he's supposed to run one thing, Fields the other. That wasn't a bad throw. It was poor communication, so 50/50 probably. 

And that's the frustrating thing. Fields may not be a good QB. Or he might be a really good one. And up to this point, it's difficult to figure out what exactly is the reason for his poor play. But the point being that you cannot possibly pin that on him solely when the whole team looks LOUSY. NO ONE is playing well except for the three I mentioned.

image.thumb.png.c756e01f337d3b967da6d7cdb08b9535.png

image.png.a2d8e86fae3b133197c55c591c3b006d.png

I cannot possibly exaggerate how much Dick Butkus means to those of us who grew up in Chicago as Bears fans. Easily one of the best, toughest linebackers to ever play the game.

R.I.P. and thank you.

• Like 3

RIP to a Bears legend.

They finally mentioned Dick Butkus, about 10 min. into the halftime chit chat.

The Bears are playing with a lot more enthusiasm tonight than the other times I've seen them with Justin Fields, and executing pretty cleanly too.   It's as if they were inspired by Butkus.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

RIP to a Bears legend.

They finally mentioned Dick Butkus, about 10 min. into the halftime chit chat.

But if Taylor Swift was in the audience, it would have come up much sooner.  :gag:

If I was a coach, every defensive player that signs with my team would have to watch this at least ten times. Every time now I see a so-called defensive player just bump into a guy, hoping he'll fall down, it makes me ill.

This is how you tackle, you fraidy cat weenies

• Like 1

Dick Butkus played when pro football was still a man's game. RIP to a legend.

The rules have made defensive players gun shy.

i think the NFL is 1 or 2 rule changes aways from playing flag football.🤣

Commanders put themselves in too deep a hole tonight.

Looks like da Bears will break a 14-game losing streak.😎

• Like 1

PD

Unbelievable. Commanders defense supposed to be top half of the league. Got burned up in the 1st half tonight. Never really recovered.😎

PD