Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

4 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

The Lions have won the past three matchups, so it’s an uphill battle for the decimated Packers and their new quarterback.

The Lions have already put the Packers in a major hole in the 1st half. 

HC LaFleur will have to come up with an even better halftime speech than last week.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Detroit is for real, and Green Bay is a work in progress.

The Packers mounted something of a comeback with two unanswered touchdowns; but then they fizzled out, and the Lions scored another touchdown to ice the game.

Right now, Detroit looks like a contender. Congrats to any Lions fans we have. Your team is in sole possession of first place.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

One positive note to look forward to for us Packers fans is that Green Bay now has an eleven-day window to rest and recuperate before they play again on Monday Night Football (vs the Raiders) on 10/9/23. Then, they have their bye. 

With any luck, they'll be near full strength again when they face the Broncos on 10/22/23.

Best,

Geoff

The Lions are definitely tracking to be best NFC North team.

Not a hard feat considering the other NFC North teams are in varying states of transition.😁

As a football fan, it's great to see a team like the Lions on the rise. 

I think QB Jordan Love will be fine over time. Hope the Packers build around him. Starting with a healthy offensive line.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 minutes ago, ProfD said:

As a football fan, it's great to see a team like the Lions on the rise.

I agree. If this isn't going to be the Packers' year—and I really don't think it will be—I would be very happy for Detroit if the Lions were to finally win it all.

Best,

Geoff

6 hours ago, bill5 said:

They look legit, but I don't trust Goff to go that far. I see them and the Bills an in early playoff exit.

The Lions have a nice running game.  They should lean the run in order to keep QB Goff from throwing one too many mistakes.😎

• Like 1

PD

Have been out this afternoon and catching up... the games that stick out to me are the Bills slamming the Fins and the Titans hammering the Bengals wth? It's still early, but what's up with the Bengals? 

And props to Bronco and Viking fans for finally winning. ouch to Panther and Bear fans.

It was nice to see Max Headroom (Howie Long) admit that Christian McCaffrey and Brock Purdy could/should share the MVP.

(Purdy: 20/21, 283 yds, 1 TD,  QB: 134.6

McC: 20 Cys, 106Yds,  3TD)

While Cards gave the Forty Niners defense a scare, this will be a wake up call that they make the appropriate changes.

Cards QB is the real deal.   However what was their deal with:

a) Snapper being removed *twice* from the game by the team's spotter.

b) player (can't recall his name) gets penalized *and* injured receiving a kickoff after:

i) targeting a Niner lineman and acting like he was a hyena with multiple spears on the downed lineman.   Probably retaliation from a previous play.

ii) throwing a punch after the play was dead.  Hopefully the league will review and suspend him in addition to his injury.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The Commanders came up short today.  I didn't expect them to win. 

However, a supposed top 10 defense should have been able to keep the Eagles from scoring over 30 points.

Also, Commanders HC Riverboat Ron Rivera should have gone for the 2 point conversion instead of playing for OT.

The Pats got blown out today.  QB Mac Jones looked like QB Zach Wilson out there today.  Hoodie may need to find another QB.

The Bengals were projected to be a playoff team.  They must be challenging themselves to beat the odds and run the table after going 0-whatever.

The Bills brought the Dolphins back down to Earth.  The Broncos should feel better after beating up the Bears.

Surprised the Texans beat the Steelers so decisively. 😎

PD

That is so never happening. The politically correct addicts would never allow it and they rule the planet (or at least this country). 

I am surprised how respectable the Cards have been. At this rate they won't get that #1 pick next year after all. That currently looks like a three-horse race between the Panthers, Broncos, and Bears (oh my). 

The Texans are also quite a story so far. 

41 minutes ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Good news.   Redskins have a chance to get their name back based on fann revolt:

Yeah...no.🤣

9 minutes ago, bill5 said:

That is so never happening.

Agreed.

I think Commanders will stick longer than Washington Football Team.

QB Sam Howell could be good once he's got a couple years of experience under his belt. He's in his 2nd year but 1st year as starter. Needs more game time.

Da Bears are definitely on a collision course with getting 1st pick in the draft. The question is which positions do they  address. Their biggest problem might be coaching which the draft can't fix.😎

PD

28 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I think Commanders will stick longer than Washington Football Team.

That was never meant to stick. It was just Snyder's way of thumbing his nose at the whole situation, and I don't blame him.

QB Sam Howell could be good once he's got a couple years of experience under his belt. He's in his 2nd year but 1st year as starter. Needs more game time.

I think he's good now, just rough around the edges, but that should smooth out with time as you said...

Da Bears are definitely on a collision course with getting 1st pick in the draft. The question is which positions do they  address. Their biggest problem might be coaching which the draft can't fix.😎

I am not a believer in Fields, but they won't give up on him yet. They still need better weapons and the D has been disappointing.

Da Bears are in tank mode even though they are still trying to win, that's how bad they are.  They will take USC's Caleb Williams with their pick or with Carolina's 1st rounder. Fields is not a "franchise" QB by any stretch. A turnover machine, yes, but not a professional level quarterback.   Poles, Getsy, Eberflus (and former DC Williams) are all in over their heads. It's an embarrassment.  Eberflus makes Marc Trestman look like a HoF head coach, and Getsy being considered as a future HC is laughable.  I just hope that Kevin Warren sees this mess for what it is and gets rid of the whole lot from Poles on down. 

Let me guess: Bears fan? :) 

Unless he's bad most of the year, I really doubt the Bears take Williams if they have the first pick, and of course the Panthers wouldn't. The Broncos and Cards are interesting - they'd be nuts not to draft him if they can, but they have high-profile QBs who they are spending a ton on.

Yup. Bears fan for a long time, and the NFL for even longer. (When I was a kid I was a big fan of Bart Starr. When my older brother found out he told me that he would kick my ass if I rooted for GB, so from that day on I've switched to the home team. :classic_biggrin:

The Bears own the Panthers' 2024 1st rd pick so Carolina is out of the equation. Fields is terrible, so yes -- the Bears WILL take a QB with one of the two (early) first rounders they have. Maybe not Williams, but some other QB better show something that scouts feel makes him better than Caleb.  And there is a distinct possibility that the Bears could have the first two picks.  Draft a QB with #1, and they might trade down a few spots and grab OT Olu Fashanu. The second pick is likely going to a team who loves Marvin Harrison Jr, so the Bears could get a bit of a haul if this scenario happens.  (And I say will take a QB but the Bears have not been football smart since the Jim Finks days.  If only the Idiots McCaskey could be fired.)

Lots of games left to be played, but on a short week the Bears will lose to Washington to be 0-5. The schedule doesn't get any easier for them after that.

Fields just threw for over 300 yds completing 80% of his passes for four TDs. Yeah it's just one game, but if he looks even respectable more or less over the year, the off days will be chalked up to lack of support probably and they'll sell a high pick for more picks. If they do decide to take a QB, it's Williams. I'd be quite shocked if anyone came close to being as good as him as he's tearing it up. They should seriously consider drafting Harrison too. I mean cmon name the last great Bear WR. Uh........Gault? :) 

9 hours ago, bill5 said:

Fields just threw for over 300 yds completing 80% of his passes for four TDs. Yeah it's just one game, but if he looks even respectable more or less over the year, the off days will be chalked up to lack of support probably and they'll sell a high pick for more picks. If they do decide to take a QB, it's Williams. I'd be quite shocked if anyone came close to being as good as him as he's tearing it up. They should seriously consider drafting Harrison too. I mean cmon name the last great Bear WR. Uh........Gault? :) 

What do people see in Fields? He threw for 300+ for the first time in his NFL career (30 games) against a team with one of the worst defenses in the NFL.  Then proceeded to get sacked, fumble, and let DEN scoop and score to close the gap. Then needing a FG to tie, he threw a bad ball that was picked to stymie any hope of a comeback.  His turnover stats for the 4th quarter are amazingly bad.  And we are not talking about a rookie here. This is his third year in the league. If anything he's regressed, his performance yesterday notwithstanding.

Gault was fast but he wasn't even the best receiver on the teams he was on. Bad hands. DJ Moore is a stud, a true #1. Harrison would be a nice pick, but a luxury. The Bears need a top QB, O-line help, and D-line help, especially edge rushers. I don't trust that Poles can evaluate talent.  Too early to evaluate his first draft which might turn out to be ok, but his FA signings have been god-awful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bill5 said:

And props to Bronco and Viking fans for finally winning.

Thanks. It’s great to be out of the winless category. 

11 hours ago, ProfD said:

Although it would be appropriate for them to poach Jim Harbaugh from the college coaching ranks.

Elsewhere in the NFL, I was relieved to see the Rams finally prevail in overtime after letting the Colts make a comeback.

Best,

Geoff

1 hour ago, Geoff Grace said:

Although it would be appropriate for them to poach Jim Harbaugh from the college coaching ranks.

Highly unlikely IMO. Harbaugh appears quite content where he is. And if he for some reason would want to go back to the NFL, why the Bears? 

The Chicago Bears selected Harbaugh as a quarterback in the first round of the 1987 NFL Draft, so it seemed appropriate to me for them to “draft” him as a coach (as he’s currently back in college). 

In short, I was making a joke. ;)

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

Harbaugh has flirted with going back to the NFL, interviewing with both the Vikings and the Broncos.  

Some speculate that it’s a tactic to get Michigan to invest more in football.  But I’ve also heard that he abandoned those overtures because the teams “didn’t show him enough love”, as there were other coaches in the running and they didn’t jump on him immediately.    That does ring true as he is an extremely touchy individual.   He’s really more suited in this way as king of his domain at Michigan.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

College coaching is definitely the wheelhouse for a personality like HC Jim Harbaugh. Dangling scholarships is a motivational tool.

Coaching NFL players requires a different approach as Harbaugh discovered in San Francisco.

I believe Harbaugh flirted with returning to NFL as an incentive for Michigan to pay him more money. 😎

PD

The 49ers players loved Harbaugh.   He was the ultimate players coach and QB whisperer.  The way he brought Alex Smith around was nothing short of amazing.    In pregame you’d think he was a member of the roster, out there alternating throwing routes with Kaep.   Harbaugh’s main issue at the Forty Niners was ownership.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

21 hours ago, ProfD said:

The Pats got blown out today.  QB Mac Jones looked like QB Zach Wilson out there today.  Hoodie may need to find another QB.

Funny how you didn't mention who they lost to. 🤔

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

3 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

The 49ers players loved Harbaugh.   He was the  players coach and QB whisperer.  

Harbaugh’s main issue at the Forty Niners was ownership.  

You're right...disagreements with 49ers ownership pushed him into college coaching.

Harbaugh may not have the same condition as Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.🤣😎

PD

37 minutes ago, ProfD said:

You're right...disagreements with 49ers ownership pushed him into back to college coaching.

Harbaugh may not have the same condition as Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.🤣😎

Corection above.   49ers ownership is pretty unique mindset and family.  First you had the mobsters and now you have them taking over small-town Santa Clara.

Now, Nick Saban, you're right.   Totally the wrong person to coach most NFL players.   Although history could have been different if he coached the Raiders in 2007.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3