Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Staley's been doing this 4th down for 2 years now.  This is not a new thing for him.  He's been doing this so often that I'm surprised when he actually decides to punt.  This is one leopard who won't change his spots.  

His biggest flaw is how he struggles to adjust to opposing coaches adjusting to his schemes and defensive playcalling.  He got Mike McDaniel and the Dolphins good last year, so for the rematch McDaniel prepared a game plan to counter everything Staley's defense did to his team last year.   Staley was unable to counter the counter.   

The better coaches like Reid and The Hoodie always come up with some new wrinkles after getting beat, so you can't beat them the same way next time.

Titans did the same, though not as impressively.   Vikings as well, though their own curse did them in.  Every opponent will do the same to Staley.   

I get why peeps say he should have been fired after the playoff loss.  But we're stuck him for 2023.  Maybe the ownership is waiting to see what happens with Jim Harbaugh or Coach Prime, as both have had NFL rumors swirling about them.  Prime's Hollywood personality would be a great fit for LA, though he'd prefer to coach whichever NFL team drafts Shedeur.  Or maybe they're thinking about Kellen Moore as the next HC.  We'll see.

Dolphins currently boast fastest offense in NFL, not just Tyreek Hill

Tyreek Hill tops the list, running 22.07 mph on a 15-yard catch yesterday; but De'Von Achane and Raheem Mostert have run nearly as fast, at 21.93 mph and 21.62 mph, respectively.

Packers running back Aaron Jones scored a 35-yard touchdown in Week 1 to record the fastest play (21.48 mph) by a non-Dolphin this season. He’s been out with a hamstring injury since then.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

17 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

And consider this: it was backup players who ran up the final score on the first string Broncos. The Dolphins were resting their starters at that point.

You have my condolences on the state of the Bears, Ken. I hope they turn things around soon.

Best,

Geoff

Wow. That's extra bad.

Speaking of Bad, there's the Bad News Bears. We hope and hope every year they will turn things around, and every year, like Lucy pulling the football from Charlie, we fall for it.

They are a grease fire. Caleb Williams. That is all. :D 

6 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Maybe the ownership is waiting to see what happens with Jim Harbaugh or Coach Prime...Or maybe they're thinking about Kellen Moore as the next HC. 

I could see offense-minded Jim Harbaugh or Kellen Moore being on the Chargers radar as next HC especially with QB Justin Herbert on a massive contract.

Coach Prime's team being destroyed by Oregon this past Saturday will remove him from any talk of coaching in the NFL.😎

• Cool 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Chargers' JC Jackson literally cannot stay out of trouble

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/arrest-warrant-issued-for-chargers-j-c-jackson-who-was-healthy-scratch-vs-vikings-in-week-3/?fbclid=IwAR2zwSK5PvALRtFOcb-PZIcnD6GFYTsFhZoLroATYO748jQkzI9LRbLEL6k

The bulk of the Dolphins' big plays against the Chargers was accomplished by simply picking on JC Jackson.  I know I just complained earlier about Staley's defensive system, but whatever allegedly fatal flaws it has, was amplified by JC whenever he was on the field.    JC was not on the field when the Chargers D held the same Dolphins offense to 17 pts last year.

On 9/23/2023 at 7:35 PM, JazzPiano88 said:

Go Chiefs!!!     We always trudged up to the Sunoco Gas Station as kids in Iowa in the 70's to get Chiefs and Vikings Stamps to collect.   Great Memories!!!

ScreenShot2023-09-23at8_34_13PM.thumb.png.5c445d615e1bcd800598dde1808e729c.png

Haven't thought about these in years!!!!!! Fantastic!!!

When I was a kid, the '72 Sunoco stamp book itself fascinated me. I used to spend a lot of time reading it, I've memorized certain lines just because I read it so many times as a boy. There were incredibly well-written bios on each team and some famous players (Bob Lilly, Jim Plunkett, etc). There's some on ebay.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

On that note, my wife grew up in China and knows zero about American "football" (which should be called "handegg" according to a European friend).

When you try to explain it to someone with zero background knowledge, it occurs to me that there really are a ton of rules, and it also occurs to me that with a lot of them (holding, PI) you could probably call them on every single play.   Then I think of soccer, which has hand ball, fouls (which every contact sport has) and the one somewhat confusing rule, offsides, which really isn't that confusing and replay can clearly show it or not.   

From the standpoint of design, handegg is an awful sport.  It reminds me of Calvinball, where you have arbitrary rules that then need exceptions and more arbitrary rules to amend them.   You can't set picks, unless it's within one yard of scrimmage.  Linemen can't go downfield early.  You can't throw the ball away as quarterback unless you are outside the "tackle box" or someone is "close enough" to maybe be a receiver.  Is it a fumble or is in incomplete then you get into a whole set of arcane definitions involving "football moves" and "control all the way to the ground."   The rules are bananas when you really think of it.   But I grew up with it and still enjoy it, though as I say mostly college these days.  The rules have grown slowly so those of us watching for decades have had time to get used to them :) 

36 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Travis Kelce jersey sales up 400% since Sunday

D8mn.  I wonder if that it is the Taylor Swift Effect or a result of his play on the field.😁😎

• Haha 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

8 hours ago, Stokely said:

On that note, my wife grew up in China and knows zero about American "football" (which should be called "handegg" according to a European friend).

When you try to explain it to someone with zero background knowledge, it occurs to me that there really are a ton of rules, and it also occurs to me that with a lot of them (holding, PI) you could probably call them on every single play.   Then I think of soccer, which has hand ball, fouls (which every contact sport has) and the one somewhat confusing rule, offsides, which really isn't that confusing and replay can clearly show it or not.   

From the standpoint of design, handegg is an awful sport.  It reminds me of Calvinball, where you have arbitrary rules that then need exceptions and more arbitrary rules to amend them.   You can't set picks, unless it's within one yard of scrimmage.  Linemen can't go downfield early.  You can't throw the ball away as quarterback unless you are outside the "tackle box" or someone is "close enough" to maybe be a receiver.  Is it a fumble or is in incomplete then you get into a whole set of arcane definitions involving "football moves" and "control all the way to the ground."   The rules are bananas when you really think of it.   But I grew up with it and still enjoy it, though as I say mostly college these days.  The rules have grown slowly so those of us watching for decades have had time to get used to them :) 

Illegal formation is a complete mystery to me.

And the rules on keeping the clock running are incomprehensible.

You can't breath on a receiver after 5 yards unless he catches the ball, in which case it's perfectly fine to paralyze him for life with a blindside hit, and then everyone will gather round on their knees praying until the airport baggage conveyor comes over and carts  him off.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

24 minutes ago, ProfD said:

D8mn.  I wonder if that it is the Taylor Swift Effect or a result of his play on the field.😁😎

Andy Reid said he set them up  😄

Patrick Mahommes said he was told she'd be at the game, last minute.  He brushed it off a bit because Travis is Travis, but when he realized she was really there he felt pressured to throw at least one TD to Travis.  😄

4 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

and then everyone will gather round on their knees praying until the airport baggage conveyor comes over and carts  him off.

United, Delta, American, Frontier, JetBlue or Southwest.🤣😎

PD

On 9/25/2023 at 2:20 PM, ProfD said:

At some point, Chargers management has to tell HC Brandon Staley to punt on 4th down especially if within 25 yards of his own end zone.  Coaches teach players about situational football and down and distance.

IMO if the ownership had a clue he'd be out on his ear as of yesterday. 

I just read a post saying that the Eagles infamous short yardage play deserves a better nickname than tush push, and suggested the Brotherly Shove.

The native Philadelphian in me thinks that’s awesome. 😎😁

dB

• Haha 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That Philly short yardage play wil get old just like bringing in William the refrigerator Perry back in the day.

The best way to get rid of the play is to stuff it a few times. I don't think they want to risk getting their QB injured.😎

PD

In the meantime, we have a game tonight. The Packers and Lions, who are each 2-1, will play at Lambeau Field for first place in the NFC North. The Lions have won the past three matchups, so it’s an uphill battle for the decimated Packers and their new quarterback. The consolation prize will be sole possession of second place, as the Vikings and Bears are each winless.

image.png.3253d23fd2410ea1387ea465d751c5e0.png

GO PACKERS!!!   :thu:

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

A lot of plays have a big pile up and there’s a big push forward before forward progress is whistled.  How is this different?

IMG_0617.jpeg

I don’t remember anyone getting upset when Brady did it.  :idk: 

dB

As for the Eagles’ scrum-style, quarterback sneak, I think it’s in line with the longstanding NFL approach of one team imposing its will on another. Unless someone is in danger of being crushed to death, I see no reason to outlaw the play. If the Eagles are able to get first downs at will, then it’s up to other teams to figure out a way to counter the move.

However, they should NOT do it by trying to “kill the quarterback.” Anyone who tries that should be banned from the league for life.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

As for the Eagles’ scrum-style, quarterback sneak, I think it’s in line with the longstanding NFL approach of one team imposing its will on another. Unless someone is in danger of being crushed to death, I see no reason to outlaw the play. If the Eagles are able to get first downs at will, then it’s up to other teams to figure out a way to counter the move.

:yeahthat:

...and/or learn how/acquire the personnel to do it themselves. :idea:

dB

2 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Unless someone is in danger of being crushed to death, I see no reason to outlaw the play.

Since Simms put in place a retaliation bounty, I'd be worried.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3