Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to connect two keyboards to one set of powered speakers?

I have a Yamaha MOXF8 and a Fantom 06 that I want to play through a single pair of powered speakers, M-Audio BX8a.  They each have a TRS input and an XLR input.  Can I connect the Fantom via XLR's and the Yamaha via a pair of TRS cables?  Do I need a small mixer?  

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

A mixer would be a better option to achieve the proper gain staging.  Are they two separate channel inputs on the monitor? If not you might be limited by the speakers design to only using one of the two inputs if those inputs are tied to one channel on the speaker.  Did you try it before writing?  Nothing is going to blow up if you try it. It either will or wont work as expected. For the XLR input you will need a TRS to XLR converter.

Link

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thank you Dave.  I just realized something ..... I bought a pair of Bose S1 speakers for my living room setup.  I could use those, plugging the Yamaha into one and the Fantom into the other.  The reason for the question is we were at a friends house last night and they want me to play there for worship sets about once a month.  He owns the MOXF8 and I was going to bring over my Fantom cuz I do better with two keyboards.  I'm not a pro by any means and usually two keyboards sounds better (e.g. pads on the top keyboard and ambient piano on the lower keyboard).  The Bose speakers will be easy to pick up and carry because they are light and have handles.

Actually, you already have a mixer = on the MOXF!  Plug the 1/4 inch output of the Phantom into the inputs of the MOXF8 labeled “A/D Input”….. on the MOXF8, simply turn on the button labeled “A/D Input, On/Off”…. turn it on, it will glow red, then use the volume control next to it to control it’s mix volume with the internal sounds of the MOXF.  The MOXF “Master Volume” will control both instruments.  Then plug the outs of the MOXF into whatever speakers / amps you desire.

• Like 1

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

When I use two boards live, I typically run one board's outputs into the other board's inputs, so that it still functions as one keyboard in terms of routing it to Front of House...is that not an option for you?  Run your Fantom to the inputs on the MOXF, then you only have one set of stereo output to route to the speakers?

Edit: in other words, what cassdad posted just before I did lol

• Like 1

You guys are so amazing, thank you!  Where can I mail your checks?

Now, I just thought of another related question.  My church setup is a Kronos and a Korg CX-3 (newer version, but still old LOL).  Could I do the same thing?  Do you know if the Kronos has a similar AD Input capability?

I have the output of my Nord Stage 3 routed into the (1/8 inch) input on the back of my Roland FA-07. I am assuming the FA-06 has the same input. Then I just run the output signal from my FA-07 to my zx-a1.  It's light on effort for the setup/breakdown at a gig, and it works fine, even for those cases where I am playing on both boards at the same time.

Yes, the Kronos has similar internal mixer capability for the two audio inputs.

On the Kronos, make sure you set that up ahead of time, setting the little buttons to "line" (rather than mic), and setting the input gain knobs on the back panel appropriately. Then, when you go into the "audio" section (I think it's in Global settings), check the display's metering to make sure you're not overloading the inputs (that movie doesn't end well...you don't get warm analog overdrive). And you'll also want to make sure all the FX settings are set to not run your CX3 through the Kronos' FX loops...unless you're into that sort of thing LOL

I've used this feature at rehearsals when I've been too lazy to bring a mixer, but frankly for money gigs, a true outboard mixer of any kind gives you more latitude for the less-than-ideal. One example...the gain from my old original Nord Wave which I still gig regularly (I never ended up buying the Wave 2) has significantly lower gain. I get better results using the Key Largo than I'll ever get with the Kronos' internal mixer. 

On 8/26/2023 at 10:25 AM, Sean M. H. said:

When I use two boards live, I typically run one board's outputs into the other board's inputs, so that it still functions as one keyboard in terms of routing it to Front of House...is that not an option for you?  Run your Fantom to the inputs on the MOXF, then you only have one set of stereo output to route to the speakers?

Edit: in other words, what cassdad posted just before I did lol

Would that typically work for ALL keybaords, or just for the higher-end better-equipped ones?  For example, I have two Casio boards, one being a cheapie $170 CTX-700.  Can I run an output from one board to the input of the other?

• Like 1

Yes, if the board has external “Inputs”!

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

2 hours ago, Lou Gehrig Charles said:

Would that typically work for ALL keybaords, or just for the higher-end better-equipped ones?  For example, I have two Casio boards, one being a cheapie $170 CTX-700.  Can I run an output from one board to the input of the other?

Broadly speaking, yes, as long as one of the two boards has an input, it should work.  

Of course, not all input sections are created equal though.  So some boards--like your CTX700--may only have an 1/8" (headphone/aux size) input...or say only mono input...whereas more full-featured input sections are typically 1/4" stereo pair, and may allow you to do things like route the input through the effects/filters etc of the host board.

But even the simpler implementations are typically good enough to get by, and can help simplify your setup by avoiding a separate mixer.