Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumors: Yamaha Montage successor

According to another site, one of the big new features of the Montage M is that there will also be a software version.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

According to another site, one of the big new features of the Montage M is that there will also be a software version.

Can you elaborate on this?

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

So far there's been no Montage M launch, but it's still early over here in the States. I assume Yamaha Japan is putting Yamaha USA in charge of the launch since over the pond in the UK, etc., it hasn't launched there. To be fair, Yamaha USA headquarters in Buena Park, California (right next to Anaheim, CA) opens at 9:00 am PDT. I live south near San Diego, CA, which is an easy drive up to Buena Park sans traffic. 

There is some news regarding the Montage M. This news came via the Yamaha Musicians website: 

"Yamaha has created a software version of the Montage M. This is a 1:1 emulation with all features present.

My understanding is that the software will come free with the purchase of a new Montage M but that it will also be available as a standalone purchase. I don't know all the details. I have no idea if it is tied into the Montage in such a way as to require the hardware to unlock the software. They did a similar thing with FM Essentials for the MX series. I hope that is not the case. I also do not know if it is going to be a one-time purchase or a subscription model but I am led to believe it will be similar in nature to Roland's Zenology."

Sounds interesting, to say the least. So perhaps, Yamaha decided to launch the Montage M on October 10th to coincide with the Tech Talk series that will discuss the Montage M in length. Seems rather limited in scope if they choose that option. There have been quite a few leaks regarding the Montage M including the supposed October 9th launch. So in retaliation to the leaker(s) Yamaha might delay the initial launch to some time other than October 9 and the only other logical time that makes sense would be October 10th @ Tech Talk since Tech Talk is undoubtedly going to spill the beans regarding the Montage M. At least so the theory goes anyway. A little less than an hour and half till we reach 9:00 am PDT, here on the West Coast. Remember, the employees and staff need to arrive at Yamaha headquarters in Buena Park, CA ... BEFORE they can launch it. 😉 If they so choose, that is.      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyboardplayer said:

The employees and staff need to arrive at Yamaha headquarters in Buena Park, CA ... BEFORE they can launch it

It's not like they need to push some physical 'LAUNCH' button and watch the rocket take off into the space :)  If today's really the announcement day, everything has been set up way in advance, including official product pages, feature videos, sound demos, etc., it just waits for a predetermined time/date to auto-publish.

2 hours ago, Keyboardplayer said:

perhaps, Yamaha decided to launch the Montage M on October 10th to coincide with the Tech Talk series that will discuss the Montage M in length.

I'd say unlikely, that'll be too much to process on the same day. For example, MODX+ Tech Talk was broadcast a few days after the announcement  post, the introduction video, and quick start articles were published, and 3rd party reviews and videos appeared a full week after that.

1 hour ago, Keyboardplayer said:

There is some news regarding the Montage M. This news came via the Yamaha Musicians website: 

"Yamaha has created a software version of the Montage M. This is a 1:1 emulation with all features present.

My understanding is that the software will come free with the purchase of a new Montage M but that it will also be available as a standalone purchase. I don't know all the details. I have no idea if it is tied into the Montage in such a way as to require the hardware to unlock the software. They did a similar thing with FM Essentials for the MX series. I hope that is not the case. I also do not know if it is going to be a one-time purchase or a subscription model but I am led to believe it will be similar in nature to Roland's Zenology."

That would actually be a “hallelujah” moment for me! To have the same keyboard in my laptop for away stuff? A real problem solver!

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

2 hours ago, DmitryKo said:

They were ready to test it last Fall, if you watched the ADC22 talk, and probably even earlier than that, but it's still a development preview version available for MMA/AMEI members, not a public release for end customers.

Yes I just shared the synth fest link as confirmation of what they are sharing at this time. I have a few developer friends who have access and have passed the info along.  Exciting.  

Windows should not be too far behind.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Maybe they have added an organ engine after all! If nothing else it it sounds like they may have at least implemented a reverse-direction slider mode, and an improved rotary effect (perhaps the one that was added to the YC series). We'll know soon, but in the mean time, there's this...

"VCM Rotary Speaker effect and realistic drawbar behavior deliver authentic organ control and sound."

https://theguitarfactory.com/index.php/yamaha-montage-m6-2nd-gen-61-key-flagship-synthesizer-with-fsx-action.html?mc_cid=bce2e95c11

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some nice tidbits in that article (pardon the google translation):

Yamaha Montage MIDI Implementation

Finally, with Montage M, it is admitted to designate the desired channel in each of the 16 parts.

Took long enough! 😉

And it looks like I got this one exactly right...

the use from the internal keyboard can be extended to 16 parts. Logically the SSS ( Seamless Sound Switching ) is still among 8-part performances

• Like 1

Hey guys, I think we may have been misled. We thought there was going to be an actual launch presentation of the Montage M by Yamaha like they did with the MODX+ to showcase the sounds, features, etc., on YouTube, or live-stream it from Yamaha headquarters in Buena Park, CA or some other location. But the Montage M has ALREADY launched! You can purchase one right now at the Guitar Factory website link posted above. It's in stock. Looks like it could be a one off since I don't see it showing up on Sweetwater or Guitar Center. I guess Guitar Factory may have jumped the gun. They're probably tired of Yamaha dragging its feet. 😒😁  

1 hour ago, Keyboardplayer said:

Hey guys, I think we may have been misled. We thought there was going to be an actual launch presentation of the Montage M by Yamaha like they did with the MODX+ to showcase the sounds, features, etc., on YouTube, or live-stream it from Yamaha headquarters in Buena Park, CA or some other location. But the Montage M has ALREADY launched! You can purchase one right now at the Guitar Factory website link posted above. It's in stock. Looks like it could be a one off since I don't see it showing up on Sweetwater or Guitar Center. I guess Guitar Factory may have jumped the gun. They're probably tired of Yamaha dragging its feet. 😒😁  

Interesting, it sounds like Blake and the gang only got their hands on it fairly recently as well and they are working feverishly to familiarize themselves with the new features to develop a presentation.  That said, it also sounds like Guitar Factory has jumped the gun.   Example: Sweetwater hasn't even listed them for pre-order yet.  

I also notice, Tech Talk S4 E5 doesn't have an agenda yet.  But I think we all know its the Montage M, and possibly news of another instrument?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting - so it's s few more boxes ticked on what I would expect from the AN-X engine, i.e. 3 oscillators each with their own LFO and PEG, a noise generator, 2 filters each with a filter LFO and FEG, and part LFO and AEG (so 3 LFOs and 3 EGs in total). I wonder if there will be a modulation matrix for the LFOs...

Oscillator waveforms are saw, saw 2, sine, triangle, and square, each with a PWM setting (!!!), plus a noise generator. Cross-modulations inlcluide ring mod, FM mod, and self-sync. There is also 2/4 voice unison/detune. 

FIlter types are not known yet, but I guess they are a separate VCM-based implementation, and not the same as in AWM2/FM-X elements/operators. There's no mention of Smart Morph or Scene morphing, or a similar mode that would interpolate oscillator / filter parameters.

AN-XNavigation.png.a2943d46687449e2a389179bf997acd5.png 

AN-XPerformancePart.png.7e1d8bd1e4b4a9ed77fa29b909c3b3f5.png

On 9/2/2023 at 3:04 AM, DmitryKo said:

Why didn't anyone speculate on Montage m8X specs yet? Here's my take:

• AN-X: virtual analog/wavetable synthesis, 3 morphing oscillators (40 types, 200 waveforms), 3 morphing LFOs, 2 morphing filters (20 types), 3  modulation envelope generators. Parameters/modes to emulate classic analog synths (Yamaha CS-80, MiniMoog/MemoryMoog, Prophet-5, Oberheim OB-Xa, Roland Jupiter-8, Juno-106, ARP Odyssey)
  • Like 1

BTW the Quick Edit LCD in the Montage M also takes inspiration from the Yamaha AN1x, where the 8 Control Function rotary encoder knobs controlled parameters assigned by one of the 8 Knob Parameter Groups (PEG/LFO, SYNC/FM, VCO1, VCO2, VCF, MIX/VCF, VCA, ASSIGN), for a total of 64 realtime control parameters:

YamahaAN1xKnobParameterGroup.thumb.png.4ccefeeb55877e35b08f40ab2113af0a.png

Similarily to this similar, the Montage M includes 8 buttons above the Quick Edit display, which are soft buttons to select the parameter group tab for the 8 rotary encoders. However each of these tabs also have 3 to 4 pages selected by the Page  < > buttons on the left - so there are essentially up to 32 tabs each with 8 parameters, or 256 realtime control parameters!

There is also a quick edit mode for the FM-X engine which is similar to Korg opsix (and the FM Zone edit in Halion 7):

AN-XFM-Xquickedit.thumb.png.6337fdb72fec5d32cd22a72ac6f7b40c.png

So the user interface is totally revamped, and knobs/buttons have been rearranged in a more intuitive way, and most the buttons were given two colors depending on selected function, as well as tri-state backlight (on, dimmed, bright).

I've colored the buttons on the drawing of the front panel controls to get a better understanding of the new user interface:

M8xfrontpanelleft.thumb.png.56e17431a0dd2678fd7d950ecb17ef88.pngM8xfrontpanelright.thumb.png.1a92fb3cb4494b823fbf19865f997bc8.png

• Like 3

Blake just said they had created a MONTAGE M VST - Holy Crap. Free to Montage M owners - a Librarian and Editor, but also THE FULL MONTAGE M IN VST FORM. Now that, I can afford. 

I have gear. Don't we all? Some is old, some is new. Ask me what I've got and I'll tell you. 

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/montagem/index.html

"EXPANDED SOFTSYNTH PLUGIN (E.S.P.) (COMING EARLY 2024)

A game-changer for musicians, the Expanded Softsynth Plugin (E.S.P.) replicates the MONTAGE M in your favorite Digital Workstation (DAW). Free for all registered MONTAGE M owners, E.S.P. allows you to create, edit and mix MONTAGE M Performances anywhere you happen to be – without the hardware – offering an unprecedented level of stage and studio integration. We are planning on releasing E.S.P. in early 2024. The first version will have all the MONTAGE M sound while being limited to basic editing. The full version will be available in Summer 2024."

Weight is slightly lower than the Montage and Motif XF for the 88 at 61.9 lbs.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

From Blake's Take...

A massive expansion of AWM2 elements within a single Part, from 8 to 128...In the original MONTAGE an AWM2 Part could have up to eight Elements...But MONTAGE M dramatically increases the power of AWM2 by offering up to 128 Elements per Part....Here’s the perfect example. Below is my favorite all-around grand piano Performance, “CFX Concert”. In the original MONTAGE, CFX Concert is comprised of four Parts to make it so dynamic and expressive, and there are a total of 18 elements across {the Parts}. In MONTAGE M all those elements can be assigned to a single Part.

That's quite a change! I had guessed that the increase to 128 Elements was a result of now being able to enable up to 16 Parts of 8 elements each (extending the Montage concept of "multi part single instruments"), but while they did indeed up the keyboard controllable Parts from 8 to 16, they actually now allow you to put all those previously "multi-part" Elements into one Part! I guess that means we can forget about the confusions of "multi part single instruments" entirely, including faders that oddly control "pieces" of sounds when you don't expect it. This looks like a really nice improvement.

A while back, I had hypothesized that maybe the reason they stopped you from being able to arbitrarily assign any MIDI channel to any Part was related to the fact that multiple Parts could require some kind of fixed relationship to each other (MIDI-wise) in order to function correctly as single instruments when needed. And now that I see that the fact that they are finally letting us assign MIDI channels arbitrarily is, in fact, coinciding with the end of needing to use multi-part single instruments, I'm feeling that maybe I was on to something there!

• Like 2

It sounds like...a Yamaha! Even the demos of the new AN-X engine don't sound radically different to my ears. 

But it's a good update. I really like the layout of the Montage/MODX and this latest M. They did a great job on the UI, IMO.

• Like 1

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

This thing looks like a beast - major props to Yamaha for keeping ALL the Motif XF presets still - with the incoming E.S.P. plugin version, that means I could finally have my pipe dream of a DAW-integrated version of all my XF patches! Curious whether there's a good way to control that 9th drawbar since there are more than 8 elements now. Glad they improved the leslie sim!

I seriously wish they had the polyphonic aftertouch on the 6/7 though - I feel like a synth-focused person that would really use the poly-aftertouch would be looking at the smaller sizes rather than the 88. My only other complaint is that I wish they'd managed to shave maybe 15 more pounds off the 88 - although I don't know how possible that would be. I am already a bit underwhelmed at the thought of going from my 29lb PC4 to a 43lb Nord Stage 4 in the future, but I think that's about where I want to top out for a gigging 88-key keyboard. I can deal with heavier if it's smaller, but one of the biggest reasons I don't gig my Motif XF8 anymore is that once I add the case it's around 100lbs and no longer really a one-person gig rig IMO. The huge size makes it a problem even with a cart.

My big question at this point is whether the polyphony numbers are 128-note stereo like the previous Montage or 128-note mono like the older Motif series. That isn't particularly clear from the current documentation. If it's essentially 2 256-mono AWM2 engines that would be totally awesome. If not, then we actually got a polyphony reduction from the previous Montage where you had the full 256 mono polyphony available for all the factory and all the user sounds alike.

6 minutes ago, zephonic said:

But no mention of the virtual Montage yet?

go to 25:15 in the video in the post above at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/186480-rumors-yamaha-montage-successor/page/8/#comment-2970183

• Like 2