Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

These Words - Lachy Doley

8 minutes ago, TommyS said:

For the life of me..... I will never understand why a keyboard player wants to sound like a guitar player......... there,, I said it,,,

Because good lead guitar sounds awesome. I grew up like almost every other musician, listening to iconic lead solos like Kid Charlemagne on the radio, playing air guitar, and rocking out in my bedroom listening to the radio.

And then gig life asks us to mimic, well, every damn thing. "Be the horn section"..."Cover the string part"..."Bass player's late and you have a left hand"..."The original has a harmonica solo"..."Don't you have a shakuhachi patch?"

So I think it's just a natural step on the journey to start trying to mimic lead guitar as well. And then factor in the history of Jan Hammer, Tom Coster, and similar.

I don't think it ever does it justice, as no keyboard gets the dynamic response of an actual electric guitar through a tube amp (and the wide range of expression of timbre that you get), but I understand why some go to really extreme lengths to try and sound like it.

Boy I can understand it, playing mostly guitar-oriented music and listening to mostly guitar-oriented music (if I listen to pop/rock) :)  I should by now be quite good at guitar but I have slacked in my learning.  I'd love to play both keys and guitar at shows but at this point it would be quicker to get better at guitar-ish sounds on keys.

I don't even have interest in leads, I just want to play rhythm, and some riffs.  I have maybe one, two solos a night depending on the set list and that is more than enough for me.  Zero is fine too.  

I found his Hendrix cover quite inspirational, and his Foreplay/Longtime cover is great for those who don't want to hear "guitar on keys" :D 

YMMV of course :) 

3 hours ago, ImproKeys said:

Lachy does a really great show. Saw him live last year in a small club. Great musician and superb band. 
I always thought this is how to play the Clav. What do you mean by „guitar“? 😉

+1 on not sure what everyone's expecting from a lead clav, this is what it is.  And yeh there's a lot of showmanship involved but he is the front man so putting on a show is his job, too many musicians forget they're in the entertainment business.  Agree his voice is an acquired taste.

• Like 2

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I admire anyone who tries to stretch the boundaries of their instrument. Just I admire guitarist who sets aside the hat  and the blues scale, and plays some fingerstyle arrangements of piano pieces (or harp, or whatever). I don't see Lachy's playing as an alternative to lead guitar, but rather as taking the clav further. 

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 3

Love Lachy, but that Gary Moore vibe on the clav (both in the lead guitar type playing and harmony/melody) does not make it for me. The last album in general is miles behind his older material, IMHO. All in all, great performer with very good original songs and catalog. Hope to see him live someday.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband