Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Servicing KB Gear--Going Under the Hood

ProfD

I'd imagine there are quite a few electronics tinkerers and DIYers around here. 

Anybody else feel comfortable opening up their KBs regardless of whether or not it's still under warranty?

Feel free to share how much you're willing to do from battery replacement (old school) and circuit board repairs to swapping out memory and hard drives or working on the key assembly.  

If/when I've ever had an issue with a KB that I've owned, I've been totally comfortable with going under the hood for most anything.

Even with newer KBs, my electronics curiosity will usually lead me to pull out my screwdriver and take a peek inside anyway.😁

Despite that manufacturer warranties that threaten to be voided if a screw is removed, today's technology is easier to swap out parts. 

Before the proliferation of USB drives and SSDs, the manufacturers didn't have a problem with memory upgrades. 

In fact, some manufacturers (Dave Smith Instruments) will send certain replacement parts to user who are comfortable with doing the work themselves.  

Speak up if you're in the camp who puts a KB on your own bench before dropping it off at a repair service center. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Back in the '90s, I replaced the battery in a JX-8P and DX7IIFD. I may not be as brave these days, LOL. I've also replaced countless keys and cleaned the keybed contacts on numerous keyboards. I've done mild Hammond/Leslie repairs.

The most recent "modern" repair I did was replacing the LCD display on a Nord Stage 2 EX. I had some help from a Nord expert on the phone. It wasn't all that bad, though some of the disassembly and dealing with teeny weenie screws was a bit unnerving.

I don't have many local people that can do these things for me, so I'll try a DIY effort before shipping something off for weeks.

I work on electronics for a living as well.  Like threadslayer, tinkering with keyboards (and computers, etc) as a youngster predates any formal training or education.

I would say, as with anything, you should weigh the pros and cons before taking on a repair project.  First consideration would of course be: is it in warranty or within the return window from the vendor?  Then there's the value of the instrument.  If it's a keyboard worth $500, then a fix that will cost $250 in parts and several hours in labor probably isn't worth it (in my opinion...pending any sentimental attachment)

As far as the process, I would say preparation and being detail oriented are the two keys.  Take pictures, document the disassembly step by step (so that you can reassemble it in reverse order), catalog all the hardware and put them labeled bags indicating where they came from.

As cliche as it sounds, the right tool makes all the difference!  Get an electronics tool kit, with all the various micro size bits and screwdrivers you might encounter.  You'll save loads of time and frustration.

Also, as a tech by day, I'd be remiss if I don't mention ESD concerns...not saying you necessarily need to wear an ESD jacket or wear a grounding wriststrap (although those things are good!)...but at the very least, try to be smart about it.  Handle circuit boards by their edges, don't drag your feet across the carpet, etc... note: drier environments are more susceptible to ESD than more humid areas.

• Like 1

As an Electronics Technician in a previous life (1979-1983) I have no problem modding my keyboards. I've added internal power supply to Keylab 88 and Fatar Studio 1176, installed a 2nd HDD to a Kronos, Not as invasive as what Markeyboard does though (whatever happened to him, anyway?).

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

25 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Not as invasive as what Markyboard does though (whatever happened to him, anyway?).

He's doing very well and still absolutely the man when it comes to repairing electronics.😎

• Like 2
  • Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have always repaired my own instruments. In fact, last Friday night a key on the bottom manual of my GSi DMC-122 stopped responding to velocity. I happened to have a spare keybed and proceeded to disassemble the DMC-122 and switched out the keybeds. The DMC-122 is really designed well structurally although to get to that lower keybed, the upper panel, mid panel and upper keybed have to be removed. I've also replaced the contact strips and on many keyboards, replaced bad pots for PB and MW, etc. Fact is I trust myself to work on my equipment more than anyone else.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

As a practicing EE since the late 70's I cut my teeth soldering prototypes in labs as part of my profession, as well as for a hobby (remember Heathkit TV's and Dynaco stereo kits?).  Back in those "pre-surface-mount" days, components were larger (discrete caps, resistors, inductors, and even IC's were on 100 mil centers!)  Even connector pin spacing was nice and (relatively) large compared to today's ribbon cables.

Speaking of keyboards, in the late 90's I replaced every leaking electrolytic capacitor in my "analog" Korg BX-3 organ, and restored it to factory specs after it was starting get wonky when the caps leaked their electrolyte onto the PCB's.  In addition to replacing about 35 capacitors (if memory serves) I also had to rebuild (bypass) some PC board traces that were corroded by the electrolyte.  Luckily Korg only used 2-sided PC boards in the  80's BX-3, and the repairs were fairly obvious, and trivial!  

I wouldn't hesitate to open up any instrument that I own.  When I received a Hammond XK-3 in shipment a few years ago it had an issue that turned out to be a loose connector, probably jarred during shipping.  I don't think I'll be repairing any surface-mount components on my workbench these days, but in all honesty, integrated electronics have become incredibly reliable over the past couple of decades, so most repairs these days involve mechanical connections wearing out/breaking loose of boards, etc.  In fact, I have a power connector for my Hammond SK-2 sitting right in front of me, waiting for me t open up my SK-2 and replace it (the one in the keyboard works, but the center is broken loose).  Eventually I'll get around to it.......

Lou

I always did repairs and mods on my keyboards. I guess it all started with my very first horror "synth"... :freak:

drywdivtycuj7o1uo7sv.jpg

...then on many of the other instruments I owned with the years. Amongst others, I cut a C3 so it can be a bit less horrible to carry, repaired/modified a Jupiter 4, maintained my Mellotron M400S to stay top notch, which included a secret mod - adding a 3,5 W lightbulb constantly on inside the case to keep humidity away. I also remember fixing the famous dreaded power supply problem common in many Kurzweil 1000/1200 series, creating software mods for the PC2X, etc. I think the mod I enjoy the most still today (which was very difficult) is my Kronos screen that that can be moved up and much more in my face when I play sitting down (or simply put back at its normal position after). It still saves me tons of head/neck/back aches when I work several hours creating programs or multisamples at the keys, etc. I like the slight improvement in sound and control between those two machines pictured here. :wave:

K7-side.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Over the years, I've done a lot (not all) of my own simpler repairs, starting from when my Dad and I replaced one of the three oscillator boards in my very first "pro" keyboard, a Fender Contempo organ; to replacing key contact springs in a Univox Compac Piano; to replacing tines and tuning a Rhodes 88; to adding a panel-mounted tuning pot on an Arp Omni; to replacing the keyboard assembly on a Roland JD-800 (red glue problems, don'tcha know); to replacing pots on my Fantom X7 and Yamaha S70XS; and replacing key contacts on several different boards...

I balked at servicing the keybed on my Yamaha S70XS, though, in the interests of time, knowledge, proper lubricating materials, and -- well -- skils. (I wish that guy was still in business!)

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

On 8/9/2023 at 8:39 PM, K K said:

I always did repairs and mods on my keyboards. I guess it all started with my very first horror "synth"... :freak:

drywdivtycuj7o1uo7sv.jpg

I had one of those when I was a kid. I think it is still buried deep in the basement along with several modules for a PAIA 4700 that I built.

• Like 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Since repair in the Middle East is about non-existent… I've took many things apart. It's just easier than sending stuff away for crazy prices and it coming back not much better than when it left. Yamaha stuff here (therefore, some Korg stuff (keys etc.)) is ok to come by and the guy in the spares dept. can get anything quickly with a Yamaha part number. Korg, I had to really try to get spares - Korg UK were excellent. Not done much Roland stuff, but, again they've been great in the UK since the 90s. I hope they still are. 

Don't mind experimenting with, and breaking my own boards, but, gotta be much more diligent with other peoples gear!

My work on them is usually replacing keys, but also easy re-soldering crappy DC jacks, audio connections/replacing boards, pots, screens etc.
Replaced a USB jack on my X32 Rack's expansion card not so long ago which was a bit fiddly with my eyes getting worse after passing 40-something! Was actually working on the mixer's PSU and shoo-ed the cat away, she ended up behind the desk and landed on the USB cable that was still plugged in haha.

Was good practise. Replacing the USB jack on an iConnectivity Audio2+ was much easier because of that necessity.

I've ruined a few things, most notably the time I re-sprayed my Triton Extreme. Dropped the touch screen putting everything back in, and pulled off its flex cable. I was gutted, but learned it's SysEx capability quite quickly hehe! Definitely fixed more than I've rendered useless. I count that as a win. 

Just read @The Real MC's post. I did take apart an AC30 once to replace a couple of bits, slipped with a screwdriver and all 130kg of me ended up in a different room of the house in a split-second. Those caps are BIG! Amp is still working as far as I know, and I'm here to tell the tale. Scary, though. Learned a lesson, and am far more patient these days.

Not in the slightest.  I'm reconciled that at this point in my life, I'll never be "handy".   I have my strengths, but fixing stuff isn't one of them.  

I've taken a few keyboards (somewhat) apart over the years, generally to try to clean a key contact.  It causes me a lot of stress and frankly I've never had success making anything better.

I have an issue with my Modx7 right now.  No idea how serious it is.  Not even sure it's worth the cost of taking it in,but it's not doing much for me right now so I probably will.

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

Not in the slightest.  I'm reconciled that at this point in my life, I'll never be "handy".   I have my strengths, but fixing stuff isn't one of them.  

I have an issue with my Modx7 right now.  No idea how serious it is.  Not even sure it's worth the cost of taking it in,but it's not doing much for me right now so I probably will.

Being handy is not for everyone. 

Paying someone else to do a job(s) helps the economy too. 

Get that MODX7 to a repair shop.  It's had that issue for long enough now. 🤣😎

PD

It has...but I haven't been using it, honestly.  It still works in mono, and most of my gigs are mono.  It's job has been to be in the back of my car "just in case" since I'm only using one keyboard.

However--if I get my duo project off the ground, I'm planning on using it for rhythm, at first at least.  And stereo would be great as we'd be using EV Evolves as both monitors and mains.  So yeah I need to get moving on it.  

I am both handy and brave in inverse proportion to how critical something is to my rig, and/or how expensive it would be to replace. When my NS3C had the dreaded "mod wheel issue," I searched out instructions for fixing it myself, opened the board up, got the soldering iron hot, pulled out the "good solder," checked the instructions again and then again, and then...chickened out. Closed it all up, put it in the car, and paid "the guy in town who fixes things" a healthy rush fee to get it fixed for me, and gigged with it that very night. Cost of replacement was unfavorable compared to the cost of being a p%#?y.

But most anything else--amps, pedals, car engines, recovered alien bodies--I have no problem opening up and fixing myself, and hate asking others to do it for me. I am a proud Youtube-Certified Repair Technician TM for most anything that can be opened up. But I'm way more ME than EE. I will build, open, repair, or mod almost anything, but I can do almost nothing that's purely an electronics job. Though I did just open up my Mazda's center console and slice off the ribbon for the touch screen, to cast the demon that had taken it over into the depths of hell forever. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I was rather brave as a kid: I started my adventure with synthesizer by building a very simple one when I was about 15, with the help of a friend who was an electronic little genius. It was a project from a magazine, modified by ourselves (mostly him). But later, when I started investing a lot of my earnings in expensive instruments, I become a coward when it came to put my hands into them. It was the time of the big analogs of the 80s, and just looking at the innards of my Rhodes Chroma, for example, sent blasts of fear down my spine. But I loved to watch the tech in action, always learning something.
Today, I have opened most of my gear, but when it comes to soldering, I just don't trust myself, especially modern stuff that's so miniaturized. So I can have a look, reset cables, clean, changing a few things, maybe solder something in the power supply department... but for soldering in critical places, I usually go to a pro.

Many years ago, there was something loose rolling around in my D-70. I was fearless and decided to open it up and remove it myself, which I did successfully. And then I bricked it.

Now I’m not so fearless.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

As I am working with electronics since I was 9 (and now I am 55), it was not surprising that my first synth, a Yamaha SY77, was bought as a unit in need of care and immediately taken apart to be fixed. That was in February 2018. Since then I have worked on some other gear bought purposely faulty (as the Yamaha MOX8, several SY77, DX11, some rack units, etc) and other gear which has failed (as my Behringer K1800FX). I have even fixed gear for other people, as a side work of my main repair work.

So, definitely, yes, I am all in on servicing KB gear 🥳

For the repair-inclined, here you have some of my music gear related repairs:

My first SY77 repair

My K1800FX repair

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

For the repair-inclined, here you have some of my music gear related repairs:

My first SY77 repair

Brotha Jose...excellent work. Totally enjoyed the repair walk-through.👍🏿😎

PD

I've repaired lots of keyboards but my own Ni Komplete 37 with a non-working mod wheel (not the wheel itself, but the electronics) had my ass handed to me. I'm positive no human assembled those boards. One project I plan on sometime in the future is swapping out the 1/8" input monitor jack on my NS3 for a 1/4" jack, or just adding a 1/4" jack somewhere. 

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I've been using Yamaha keyboards for a long time. If one of my keyboards was under warranty I would take it to a Yamaha certified repair shop. I have worked on my Yamaha Genos keyboard and previous keyboards once the warranties expire. I recently replaced a button that became loose and also a few contact strips on my Genos. I have been working on computers for 20+ years and electronic keyboards today are basically computers with a series of keys, buttons/sliders, etc. I feel pretty comfortable fixing any issue that might pop up. Although, I can fully understand why some keyboardists would rather take a hands off approach and let the manufacturer handle things, even if the warranty has expired. To each his own as they say.