Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arturia V7 to V9 upgrade...worth it?

CrossRhodes

For some reason the V7 to V9 update "special offer" I have from Arturia at $349 feels not so special to me when the full price is $599. For those of you who have gone through a few versions of the V collection would you say it is worth it?

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

2 hours ago, Husker said:

I would wait.   They have much better offers.  Black Friday deal would be either $99 or $149 for V7 to V9.

Awesome, thanks! Kind of a head scratcher why they "reward" loyal customers with such a lame "special offer".

+1 on waiting.

If not  mistaken, your V copy entitles you to update to the most current version of Analog Factory, or at very least next version up.    So you can at least get a chance to try out the new synths and see if they work for you - albeit with limited editing. 

Starting from Analog Factory,  I've  cross-upgraded  semi- regularly up to current  V9 only during the usual sale seasons.  Though I've skipped a couple.   Nothing has ever been life-changing. I also have the pre-amps.

This last go around, was primarily interested in the Ensoniq SQ80, Emulator, and Prophet VS .   Wasn't interested in the CS-80 refresh, but the Jupiter update was very good.    Also, wasn't initially interested in them, but  the augmented strings and voices were actually pretty cool and useful.

Arturia offer some nice freebies, and is very good about updates/fixes.  They've overhauled their preset system very nicely.  With exception of the Vox and Farfisa,  not a fan of any of their electro-mechanical stuff -  or the piano.   

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

11 hours ago, obxa said:

+1 on waiting.

If not  mistaken, your V copy entitles you to update to the most current version of Analog Factory, or at very least next version up.    So you can at least get a chance to try out the new synths and see if they work for you - albeit with limited editing. 

Starting from Analog Factory,  I've  cross-upgraded  semi- regularly up to current  V9 only during the usual sale seasons.  Though I've skipped a couple.   Nothing has ever been life-changing. I also have the pre-amps.

This last go around, was primarily interested in the Ensoniq SQ80, Emulator, and Prophet VS .   Wasn't interested in the CS-80 refresh, but the Jupiter update was very good.    Also, wasn't initially interested in them, but  the augmented strings and voices were actually pretty cool and useful.

Arturia offer some nice freebies, and is very good about updates/fixes.  They've overhauled their preset system very nicely.  With exception of the Vox and Farfisa,  not a fan of any of their electro-mechanical stuff -  or the piano.   

Great info thanks! I’ve got plenty to play with in V7 so I will wait for the next good sale to upgrade.

I pay 99 euros on November 2022 for this upgrade, so waiting for a better offer...

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

2 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

You should join the Arturia group on Facebook, where instead of talking about cool patches, tips, and tricks (as it was intended), it's just a constant bitch-fest about prices.

Sounds like maybe you should leave that group lol. 

Its a subjective decision, but in my observation, It seems like a good idea to upgrade at every OTHER iteration, if not every three. These things are always incremental. It just depends on whether or not the changes ring your personal bell.

Some companies are better at it than others; some inexplicably whip out summer sales that trounce their upgrade of the previous quarter. I choose not to live in any one company's orbit. I find it easier (and more inspiring) to have a cross-section. That doesn't mean someone with a Fairlight jones shouldn't go for Arturia's take on it, though. 

• Like 1

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

20 hours ago, David Emm said:

Its a subjective decision, but in my observation, It seems like a good idea to upgrade at every OTHER iteration, if not every three. These things are always incremental. It just depends on whether or not the changes ring your personal bell.

This is exactly my feeling. For 20 years I upgraded Cakewalk DAW's and NI Komplete on an every other update schedule. I do jump in if there is something in an update that I especially want. This year it was PlayBox from NI. Normally $199 and occasionally on sale for $99. I went ahead and upgraded Komplete during the %50 off sale and put that $99 towards a complete, Komplete upgrade. You can occasionally avoid the normal upgrade path and pick up software in special group sales. The NI/Izotope/Plugin Alliance recently had a package deal for $50 that included PlayBox. If I had not already upgraded Komplete... When I wanted to upgrade Studder 2 from Izotope the upgrade from Studder 1 was $99. I found a package deal on Pluginboutique that included Studder 2 and 3 other plugins for $40. I went that route. Shop around and learn the good places for good deals. Plugin Alliance has a nice sell going on that I plan to take advantage of. 

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Definitely not worth it. Depending on your needs, of course! Cherry-pick what you need now, and find a good sale. That's a lot of dough to spend on a collection upgrade if there's not much in it for you regarding the newer additions. Most of them are good, but that's still a lot of dough.

Personally, I think by far the best new addition to the collection these past few years has been the Moog rack-Mount Vocoder emulation, which shoved all of my other vocoders to the side -- though now I must re-compare as I took up Softube on their dirt-cheap vocoder offer last week but haven't tried it yet.

As Cherry Audio did their own Moog Vocoder emulation a bit after Arturia, and I haven't had a chance to compare yet, I can't really say with certainty that the Arturia is still the best. For years, that title went to the Eiosis ELS Vocoder from Farbrice Gabriel (later of Slate Digital fame), but it never made it to 64-bit land.

There are other Arturia Collection upgrade years that I feel had more in it for the fee, but I don't know the specific breakdown of v7 vs. v9 and haven't the time to check right now.

On a side note, there are some amazing gems in the effects collection! I assumed they would be below average overall, but their Neve emulation ended up being my go-to -- by a country mile -- on a recent album project. Nothing else came remotely as close to the analog hardware or had as much flexibility.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager