Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iLok…*#%%

Ravenscroft275 now appears unusable on my new MacMini. VI Labs login and downloads went smoothly, but iLock is hanging things up. Apparently my old password didn’t work, and even after confirming a new one the login didn’t work - due to the original email address being ‘invalid’. So the original account was never logged into.  Meanwhile I set up a new account (one option offered on iLok’s site). That went smoothly, but then when I attempt to authentic Ravenscroft 275, I get this message, “Another user already registered this serial number”. What the squat?!

Considering iLok’s abysmal support history among the group - since I joined in 2009, is it really worth the time to go down this rabbit hole, or should I just find a quality software piano that is ‘iLok free’. I’ve owned one other iLok required piano since 2010, and don’t even use it - due to attempts to deal with the same crap. Maybe it’s time to cut the VI Labs pianos loose as well…It’s not like them or Synthogy have been a money-maker here. 

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Hi, yes, yes. We all are terribly tired of iLok.  

However, do a support ticket through the iLok website for a password reset on the account you have registered your software to.  They will get back to you.  Not quickly typically, but they’ll respond. 

https://help.ilok.com/faq_account.html

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

iLok is one of the reasons I dropped Pro Tools and went to Logic (not the only reason obviously, and I did love Pro Tools but the subscription model added to the impetus to move). Hope you get a good response from iLok support

3 hours ago, analogika said:

If this is a new Mac mini — did you update the iLok software? 

I downloaded the latest version of iLok’s software. So I’ll be writing up the issue for their support department to review. 
Right now I feel like a law enforcement officer who’s witnessed an epic fustercluck, and now have to go through the drudgery of writing up the report…🤮

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

19 hours ago, allan_evett said:

That went smoothly, but then when I attempt to authentic Ravenscroft 275, I get this message, “Another user already registered this serial number”. What the squat?!

Considering iLok’s abysmal support history […]

Lemme just weigh in here: 

I had an issue where I'd accidentally registered a plugin to the wrong iLok account (they didn't ask for password verification during installation) and didn't notice until MUCH later (like, months or years) because I never actually used the plugin. 🫣

I wrote to iLok support and explained the situation, and they got back within a day and explained that they couldn't transfer the registration to my account — only the vendor could do that. Luckily the unwitting recipient had never authorised the plugin on his system. 

That was the only issue I've ever had, it was my fuck-up, and they responded quickly that they couldn't fix it. 😅

[Edit: I misremembered — Eventide support were the ones who fixed the issue immediately and were super nice about it.]

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Your big mistake was making a new account. You really don't want to go down that road. If you split purchases between the accounts you could end up with a real mess.

I went through this a year or so ago. It was actually quite easy to log into my old account, change the default email address, and move on. Some other companies made it much harder than it should have been, requiring me to verify with email to the old address which I no longer have access to. Now I use computer authentication on my MacBookPro so I don't have to use a dongle, and have my USB dongle in my new MacMini. Do I like iLok? No. Not at all, but it is working for me. I much prefer the NI system, but, it seems like I now have a dozen different software management systems on my computer and wonder what the tax is for that many plugin managers running in the background to make sure I have bought the software I am using.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I finally found the username/password to my old iLok account, then logged on successfully. Since I don’t have the old computer(s) registered to iLok, I do need to request a new iLok license number from the plug-in vendors.  Just sent in a request to VI Labs; will be doing one for Synthogy shortly. 
From studying iLok’s site and my account info, it’s not the most intuitive place to be.  Why not do enter/copy/paste with challenge codes, like Spectrasonics: Soooooo much better!

• Like 1

Because pirates abound and they break the code, sometimes within a day of release.   They’ve hacked iLock before as well, but it’s more difficult. So each software developer has to decide what’s best for them, invest in their own copy protection scheme or lease it from iLok.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RABid said:

And some take the U-He approach, sell to the honest people and don't make it hard for them to use your product, and don't waste time worrying about cracks because those people are most likely not going to buy anyway.

Years ago, two companies that I worked with had draconian copy protection. They decided the cost of the copy protection was too much for products with slim margins, so they went to simple challenge/response protection. They both said eliminating the hardcore copy protection made zero difference to sales. They agreed with RABid's assessment - honest people were going to buy it, and the people who stole it tended to be collectors who weren't potential customers anyway.

My Sweetwater Publishing eBooks aren't protected. Sweetwater asked what I wanted to do about protection and I said don't bother, it's more trouble than it's worth for products that cost $19.95. Fortunately, they agreed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RABid said:

And some take the U-He approach, sell to the honest people and don't make it hard for them to use your product, and don't waste time worrying about cracks because those people are most likely not going to buy anyway.

Well, he does require us to register as users and he provides a code.  Taking the leap of faith that we’ll keep the code to ourselves.  Which I’m sure most do.  It would cost him time, effort, money to have a more complex protection scheme and it would get hacked anyway.  (The Uhe everything bundle is readily available on warez sites with a key generator).  

As I suggested, each developer has to make a decision that works for them.  I know U-he is a fairly small operation (18 people, up from 1 or 2).  So his choice is working for him! 

4 hours ago, RABid said:

it seems like I now have a dozen different software management systems on my computer and wonder what the tax is for that many plugin managers running in the background to make sure I have bought the software I am using.

A common software update mechanism provided as part of the operating system is long overdue. 

Imagine if Apple delivered this for MacOS and insisted all software companies had to use it, no more update managers (only they have the clout and the courage for such a move) . Even I would be tempted to jump from Windows for that. 

26 minutes ago, Ibarch said:

A common software update mechanism provided as part of the operating system is long overdue. 

Imagine if Apple delivered this for MacOS and insisted all software companies had to use it, no more update managers (only they have the clout and the courage for such a move) . Even I would be tempted to jump from Windows for that. 

Well, what Apple would want is for developers to sell through their App Store and give Apple around 30% of the sale. 

There is also the issue of plugins and sandboxing.  “Apps must be self contained, single application installation bundles and cannot install code or resources in shared locations”.  

On 7/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, allan_evett said:

should I just find a quality software piano that is ‘iLok free’.

👍  My initial experiences with ilok were so frustrating I vowed never to buy anything that used it, I don't care how great the plugin is.

Re. a piano, try the Denver Grand or Ivy162, both free and IMO both very good.