Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New GSI piano for iPad et al.

4 hours ago, CHarrell said:

What's exciting is that their piano app shows potential precedent for their Rhodes to be even better than their Gemini sounds.

I think you're inferring that from this...

7 hours ago, hrestov said:

For acoustic pianos, in iOS the sample are better, bigger, than the Gemini. 

...but the quality of the Gemini Rhodes is not dependent on samples. That one is modeled, IIRC.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

35 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

think you're inferring that from this...

I was referring to that the app (which I bought like half an hour ago, CFX is unfortunately unusable to me, downloading D274 now) is using XXL variants of what's in the Gemini, but I didn't know the Rhodes were modelled.

7 hours ago, CHarrell said:

I was referring to that the app (which I bought like half an hour ago, CFX is unfortunately unusable to me, downloading D274 now) is using XXL variants of what's in the Gemini, but I didn't know the Rhodes were modelled.

Why unusable? The Steinway isn’t so balanced like the Cfx. However also the Steinway is good. 

7 hours ago, hrestov said:

Why unusable? The Steinway isn’t so balanced like the Cfx. However also the Steinway is good. 

Maybe it's me, but it almost sounds like they threw the piano into a transient shaper and pumped up the attack, you get this ugly click on higher velocities. It's present on the D274 as well, but not quite as prevalent. I asked for a refund.

Shame because the actual timbre sounds really nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

New piano in the future: Link

a Bechstein. Probably it will be in just piano. 

In my Cfx I hear a little mechanical noises, but in live I don’t notice them. I take off all the sustain pedal noise. 
The sound isn’t compressed. 
It’s not very far to the CFX in my Cp73. I only have to use a little lighter velocity curve. 

I have all three of the newest pianos (CFX, D-274, C5) in my Gemini.  The fullest and best balanced piano, in my view, is the D-274 however the one i use the most is the C5.  The C5 sits better for rock music.  When i do Billy Joel and Elton John where the piano has to standout I switch to the Steinway D.  I've tried the CFX almost every show but find myself moving away from it after one or two songs; it's not bad but I just find the C5 and Steinway D are more to my liking.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

25 minutes ago, CHarrell said:

Wait am I the only one who experiences the clicks? 😭

I'm using the Gemini module and the pianos are loaded into that.  What are you using for hardware, an IOS device like an Ipad?  It might be your hardware and how it is setup.  I hear none of that on the Gemini hardware.

My cousin purchased a P145 (?) which I think has the CFX piano. He brought it over and I ran both the Gemini CFX and the P145 through my mixer and into my stereo PA.  The tone was almost exact, there were some differences up and down the keyboard but nothing majorly different.  Given that I would have to say that Guido did a great job sampling the CFX.  Here's a case that when they are different I'm not sure which one is off because I didnt have a real CFX in the room to understand which one is actually closer when there is a difference.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

50 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

I'm using the Gemini module and the pianos are loaded into that.  What are you using for hardware, an IOS device like an Ipad?  It might be your hardware and how it is setup.  I hear none of that on the Gemini hardware.

Maybe but they're not entirely the same, and it's not a click in the hardware clipping sense or anything. Again, it sounds like it just has a really pronounced attack.

I am not on Facebook so I do not have access to the original post. From what I gather GSI ( does that mean Crumar ?   ) is offering a version of a Yamaha CFX piano sample at an affordable price. And some are saying it is on par with something like a Yamaha P 145. I would have to comb back through this thread but what is the price and what else would be required to use this with something like a laptop such as cables etc. I failed miserably with trying to install Ravenscroft onto a fairly powerful desktop recently. This whole software sample world leaves me in the dust....

13 hours ago, hrestov said:

The few times I use the Cfx was in mono from only output R. I compare to the Cfx of Yamaha Cp73 and it’s similar. 
And I think that Yamaha Cp73 Cfx is one of the best mono sounding acoustic piano.  

Have a CP88 coming in today (yeah peeps I know 😭), looking forward to trying the R output! I've only ever tried mono using the L.

• Like 1