Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland KC-990 vs Motionsound KP610/612 ?

Hello,

I need some "real world" experience.

I am in a new search for a keyboard stereo amp.

I used a Motionsound KP500 in the past and still have an old Roland SA1000 (making some trouble now).

Did anyone of you guys compared the Roland KC-990 and an actual Motionsound KP610 or 612 directly?

If yes, what is your resume?

Many thanks,

Markus

• Like 1

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

4 hours ago, M_G said:

Hello,

I need some "real world" experience.

Sorry I don't have experience on either one, but you can simulate "real world" experience of gigging with Roland KC-990 like this: Find something that weights 93 pounds (42 kg). Lift it up and carry around the house a few times.Then lift it to the car and back a few times. Finally, there’s the broken elevator simulaton: Grab the Roland and carry it up and down the stairs. Do that quickly and remember not to take any breaks because in real world you’d be late for the sound check 🤪 That’s how you can simulate real world experience of gigging with the Roland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've never played the 990 (I didn't know it even existed), but I did have a the KC-500 in the 90's. Historically Roland keyboard amps are pretty awful to most here, me included.  I could never get a good sound out of mine with a variety of different keyboards tried. 

As U.Honey mentioned, the weight of the 990 is brutal. I can't imagine it would sound good enough to warrant that purchase when the MS amps are almost half the weight. 

I do have the KP-610, and I am very pleased with the sound and features. To me it competes with PPA speakers, and for me in a 2 guitar band, it's plenty loud and clean. I'm a big fan, although unlike the Roland you'll likely not find it in a store to try out before you buy. 

• Like 1

I've literally just inherited a KP500. Will try it out on the neighbours when I get it home. Came with a bonus Pro-3X Rotary box, too!

I have had the displeasure of using Roland keyboard amps on occasion. How a company that used to be so forward thinking sleeps at night selling those dreary boxes for actual money, I will never know. 

I'm not sure there's one single thing that can be said in favor of a Roland amp versus a similar Motion Sound amp (which, on top of all their other virtues, are made in the US of A). 

The Roland is more affordable.  But so is an anvil, that doesn't mean you'd want to rely on it as your sound system.

Someone will be along here in a minute to 'splain to us why powered speakers are better than a Motion Sound.  Maybe, maybe not, depends on the application.  But at least that's a debatable point.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Disclaimer first- I have a pair of QSC K10's, and Motion Sound KP610s (had the K500 yeas ago), a SpaceStation V3 (started with the V2), a SpaceStation XL and and old Fender 200 SFX, Leslie 3300 and a.... wait for it... a Behringer K3000FX. I have had a variety of mixers/amps/speakers and self-contained systems over the years including a Roland KC500. Even had a Marshall 8015 Keyboard Amplifier in gray tolex.

But to answer your question, for the weight difference alone get the Motion Sound! The Roland KC990 is built like a tank and you pretty much need a tank to move the thing around. The KP610S sounds very good. The stereo separation is better that the KC990 due to the wedge shape of the cabinet but not nearly as pleasing as the SpaceStation. But you didn't ask about that so never mind.

Like Adan said above, a lot of folks love using individual powered speakers like the QSC's, Yamaha, EV, etc. Personally I prefer the sound (and bonus of not needing a mixer and extra cables) when using the Motion Sound or SpaceStation over the QSC K10's.

And now back to the Behringer. Years ago I left this at the Church that I play at. The church is moving so I brought it home. I had a fill-in gig this past Friday and it was closest to the car so decided to take it. It sounded great. Plenty of clean low end and crisp highs. Added bonus, channel 4 can be removed from the balanced outs and just sent to the internal amp/speakers so I had a vocal monitor. The downside is it is fairly heavy. Not as bad as the KC990 but close. And it isn't stereo.

• Like 1

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

4 hours ago, zxcvbnm098 said:

Dave, how does the Marshall sound? I'd never seen or heard of that one! It looks kind of Barbetta-esque? I assume based on the timeframe it came out that it's not exactly a featherweight, but the mixer section looks interesting....

It's been many years ago that I sold the Marshall. As I remember it sounded fairy good. Really the best part of owning it was seeing guitar players faces when they saw me carry it up on stage. Wish I still had it just to be that keyboard player that plays through a Marshall. Then again, I also had a Sound City 50 watt head with an SMF 4X12 cabinet that I played my Moog Liberation through. Ran the Moog through an Electro-Harmonix phase shifter, delay and overdrive. Made for a very aggressive lead sound that would tick off the guitarist. :) Ah the old days of rock and roll.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am