Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

French Onion Grilled Cheese

Found this recipe.  I'm a sucker for a good grilled cheese sandwich; and, as a huge Gruyere fan, I couldn't resist.  

I'm more inclined to use butter on the outside of the bread than mayo, but to each their own. 

2 Tbsp unsalted butter

1 lb Vidalia onions, halved and thinly sliced

2 tsp sherry vinegar 

5 oz Gruyère cheese, grated

4 slices bread, cut no wider than 1” thick

¼ cup mayonnaise, divided

1.     In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the unsalted butter. Add the onions, cover, and cook, stirring once or twice, until the onions are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. 

2.   Remove the lid, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. 

3.   Deglaze the skillet with the sherry vinegar and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Transfer the onions to a medium bowl. Clean the skillet, and set it aside. 

4.   Add the Gruyère cheese to the onions and stir to combine. Divide the mixture between 2 slices of the artisan bread, and then top with the remaining slices.

5.   Heat the skillet over medium heat. Spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise on the top pieces of bread, making sure to cover the edges.

6.   Transfer one sandwich to the skillet, mayonnaise-side down. Press down gently on the sandwich to make sure all points of the bread are touching the skillet. Cook the sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes, pressing down occasionally, until the bread is golden brown.

7.   While it’s cooking, spread 2 tablespoons mayonnaise on the top slice of bread. When it’s ready, flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melty. 

8.   Transfer the grilled cheese sandwich to a plate. Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the second sandwich.

Serve hot, of course. 😊

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Gruyere is my favorite melty cheese, but somehow, I never think to pick any up when I'm at the market so I don't have it when I need it. I'll have to make an exception here, this sounds terrific. I'm with you on the mayo, I don't get it.

• Like 1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

• 1 month later...