Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB microphone for recording piano practice sessions

HI All,

I am looking for a reasonably priced microphone for recording piano, the main purpose being to share recordings with friends and teachers.  It needs to be a significant improvement quality wise from recording with an iPhone sitting next to me on the bench which is noisy and distorted.   It would be really handy if the microphone had a USB interface so I could just use my laptop and avoid the hassle of an audio interface.  Comments or suggestions?

I've been using a AT2020 USB microphone going way back to my guitar days.   Then when moving to piano I got a Rode NT-USB+ USB  and the podcast desk boom stand.   Both I just plug into my laptop and record with and sound is good.  

I had a full recording setup when I got the AT2020 and just wanted some real simple for quick recording for lessons and also for Skype.  Real handy just being able to plug in a mic and and record fast. 

The new 5th Generation Rode NT1 has to be worth  a look......  USB or XLR outputs, and with intergral 32 bit floating point recording giving an essentially 'unclippable ' input with an incredible dynamic range.

See here: https://rode.com/en/microphones/studio-condenser/nt1-5th-generation

Price doesn't look too bad either, for a mic of this quality...

Yamaha - YC61 - P105 - MOX6 - HC2 -- Neo Vent 2

Why use a mic at all?  Unless you have other uses or needs.

I use an iRig Stream to record directly from my e-piano to my iPhone and it works great -- very quick, high quality, with no keybed or background sounds. I just saw it had mixed reviews on Sweetwater, but mine has been great since day 1.

Old No7 

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I like the specs on the 5th generation Rode - having USB and XLR makes for a lot of flexibility.  

I already have a zoom recorder, but I have not tried it as a USB microphone.  It certainly is worth investigating.

Regarding the iRigStream it also seems like a handy device but I need a microphone because I am recording a grand piano.

26 minutes ago, CharlieLosGatos said:

I already have a zoom recorder, but I have not tried it as a USB microphone.  

you don't really need to use it as a USB microphone. Pop out the sd card put it in your laptop and email the files. I do it ALL the time. easy peasy. oh, and it's in stereo.  ;)

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 7:39 PM, CharlieLosGatos said:

HI All,

I am looking for a reasonably priced microphone for recording piano, the main purpose being to share recordings with friends and teachers.  It needs to be a significant improvement quality wise from recording with an iPhone sitting next to me on the bench which is noisy and distorted.   It would be really handy if the microphone had a USB interface so I could just use my laptop and avoid the hassle of an audio interface.  Comments or suggestions?

Define "reasonably priced"

Another mic to consider is the Blue Microphones and to hear one checkout the video of Jeremy Siskind.   Jeremy teaches at Open Studio, local college, and online and uses this setup for all of them.  Below is his most recent video to get an idea what the sound is like picking up speech and his acoustic piano.