Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Busking "proof of concept" any ideas for carting gear around?

Today was the first day where weather conditions and my schedule allowed me to take all my battery operated gear (and gear with a rechargeable AC power supply) out the the backyard and give the whole project a dry run.

Everything worked and sounded very good. I played for about an hour or so and them realized I was running out of steam. Not battery power, MY power. I started to get hot, tired and was running out of ideas to play. 

I'm guessing that stamina will develop as I start to do this on a regular basis. 

I also learned that I will need to invest in some kind of cart to move everything to a location all at once since I had to make two trips to get everything outside. 

Looking at hand trucks, beach wagons, dollies and various carts. What is something that I can drag (or push) around without worrying about my gear falling off? Not too expensive please. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

What gear do you need to transport?

I have found velcro nylon straps work better than bungees for securing gear to carts and the like.

Cheers, Mike.

One or two 61 key keyboards in cases

Boss Cube Street II

Single or double tier keyboard stand

Folding stool (negotiable)

cables

AC power bank

Refreshments (water etc.) 

I live two blocks from the boardwalk and want to be able to take the gear from my front door to said boardwalk. There are ramps to enter the boardwalk as well. 

Eventually I will need to be able to take this transport onto the LIRR and around Manhattan if the cosmos will it. 

Magliner makes a solid handcart that converts into a dolly.  I bought one that fits a 76 note keyboard on the dolly side and has a 1000lb capacity.  Not cheap but you get what you pay for.  I wish I had bought one years ago.

• Like 1

I've used one of these for years, in fact it was my kids wagon and when they outgrew it I added the larger tires (it had traditional solid rubber tires, harbor freight to the rescue with cheap inflatables) and it works great.

These are usually available pretty cheap on craigslist or at yard sales 

https://www.radioflyer.com/all-terrain-cargo-wagon-bundle.html

We used to have this blue folding wagon to take our beach stuff to the (you guessed it) beach. I searched high and low for it this afternoon and cannot find it anywhere, but I'm pretty sure it would be just the ticket. Nice big wheels that can do 360 degrees, adjustable handle for pulling and the whole thing folds up like an accordion. I searched for similar on Amazon and they aren't cheap. 

This one looks best to me so far:

image.thumb.png.580931bfca0e6885e9dbcd9f8d3e25ce.png

Competing concepts are the following: 

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Shifter-300-Pound-Capacity-Multi-Position/dp/B01IFMSKAQ/ref=sr_1_19?crid=71AAJDMJQNNX&keywords=musicians%2Bhand%2Btruck&qid=1684794490&sprefix=musicians%2Bhand%2Btruck%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-19&th=1#customerReviews

and 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4GG2MT/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?pf_rd_p=f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pf_rd_r=V0KPD7TG5NZQ48GHR8Y8&pd_rd_wg=9jCkn&pd_rd_w=r9VM1&content-id=amzn1.sym.f734d1a2-0bf9-4a26-ad34-2e1b969a5a75&pd_rd_r=7ee176ad-23f3-4918-9257-601d6e0da8e8&s=musical-instruments&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

and I have indeed looked into the rock n rollers so there's those too

See the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/185061-rudimentary-question-cart-and-loading/#comments

I've been happy so far with my two-tier Timber Ridge wagon I mentioned there (long open lower level for the long keys, mic stand, etc.; basket on top for the rest). 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

cosco shifter dolly/cart.  60 or $75 bucks depending upon where you buy. THEN... you have to replace the 2 small wheels with some larger wheels from amazon. easy peasy as there are youtubes what and how to do it.   https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Shifter-300-Pound-Capacity-Multi-Position/dp/B00LMH8CCS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16ZIZWF83HO0J&keywords=cosco%2Bshifter&qid=1684811295&s=hi&sprefix=cosco%2Bshifter%2Ctools%2C64&sr=1-1&th=1

spacer.png

new wheels:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXLHBKI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, D. Gauss said:

cosco shifter dolly/cart.  60 or $75 bucks depending upon where you buy. THEN... you have to replace the 2 small wheels with some larger wheels from amazon. easy peasy as there are youtubes what and how to do it.   https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Shifter-300-Pound-Capacity-Multi-Position/dp/B00LMH8CCS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16ZIZWF83HO0J&keywords=cosco%2Bshifter&qid=1684811295&s=hi&sprefix=cosco%2Bshifter%2Ctools%2C64&sr=1-1&th=1

spacer.png

new wheels:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXLHBKI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spacer.png

It's one of the three options I put in my post.  Question: Wouldn't putting larger circumference wheels on the back make the whole thing nosedive? 

11 hours ago, Krakit said:

I will need to be able to take this transport onto the LIRR and around Manhattan if the cosmos will it. 

(I had to look up LIRR)

Personally I wouldn't enjoy manhandling a 4-wheel "flat-bed" truck on and off a train. Two wheels for the win - but you have quite a lot of gear. I think I would go:

- Two keyboards and the stand on a two-wheel dolly, secured with velcro nylon straps (this might be a challenge, based on the thickness of the boards, and you might have to forego the stool). 

- Amp in the other hand

- Shoulder bag with everything else. 

I can get my two boards (one 76 hammer, one 73) onto a 2-wheel dolly, with a bag over my shoulder and a stand in the other hand, and I can haul of that in one trip. No amp (IEMs) and no stool, though. 

Cheers, Mike.

5 hours ago, Krakit said:

It's one of the three options I put in my post.  Question: Wouldn't putting larger circumference wheels on the back make the whole thing nosedive? 

not at all. the orig tiny wheels are useless, but the replacements are basically the same height with a larger diameter.  if you enter an elevator, the orig wheels will get stuck in the crack.   here's how n what to change them vid: 

as for taking on the LIRR, and wheeling around NYC, anything with 4 wheels is a challenge.  while not ideal, you might want to try one of these with a shit-ton of bungees:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J3UHTFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1    really sturdy. large, wide-spaced, curb friendly, 7" wheels (most of the knock-offs have smaller-spaced 5" wheels. ).  in addition to the above cart, i have one of these as well (for NYC gigs) and manage to roll a tenor sax in a case, small gtr amp, guitars in a double gig bag, and assorted other crap on it, ....all wrapped up in trash bags like a homeless person, because it rains nearly every time i have a NYC gig.  ;) 

spacer.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

See the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/185061-rudimentary-question-cart-and-loading/#comments

I've been happy so far with my two-tier Timber Ridge wagon I mentioned there (long open lower level for the long keys, mic stand, etc.; basket on top for the rest). 

I agree that one deserves a look -- and an image too. ☺️

This one has me interested as well, as the space below will easily handle the large hard-sided (meant for a long gun) case for my Hammond SK Pro.

Old No7

Timber Ridge wagon.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 1:09 PM, Old No7 said:

I agree that one deserves a look -- and an image too. ☺️

Yeah, I skipped the image, because the two links I included both had the images. But here's what it looks like filled with gear, from each side.

The top level has...

... tall thin bag with short speaker pole, mic stand, and a stand to put an iPhone/iPad in if I want to get video of the gig

... tall thin bag with Bose PA top unit and PA cables

... red bag with all the keyboard pedals/cables

... Bose PA bottom unit in its cover

... small soft case with PA mixer

... 8" speaker case with powered speaker for keyboards

... 2-tier keyboard stand on top

The bottom level has the two keyboards, plus a bag with spare cables/accessories and our mini-lighting system.

Everything is just laid in, except there's a little strap built into the thing, which I route through the spare cable bag on bottom, to make sure it doesn't fall off.

For a small venue gig, this is complete PA, keyboards, and lights in one trip. Total of all gear is under 150 lbs, so well below the official 225 lb weight capacity. Admittedly, these two keyboards are one of my lightest setups... if I picked the heaviest pair I might gig with these days, that could add about 20 lbs.

If we're playing a bigger venue, or we have a bigger band config, or if I'm doing a separate ceremony/cocktail, I could need more stuff, so a second trip could be necessary, e.g. there are times I might bring a third keyboard and extra keyboard stand, or a dedicated bass amp for LH bass, or additional small PA speakers/monitors. So two trips is still a possibility, but even that isn't bad, and often this one trip's worth would be fine.

ScreenShot2023-06-04at8_27_28PM.thumb.jpg.a7e32307cb86d0bc937232ab11e58dfa.jpg 

ScreenShot2023-06-04at8_27_43PM.thumb.jpg.38172c3d5155efa9abba77ea6e9db24d.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 11 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:58 AM, AnotherScott said:

Yeah, I skipped the image, because the two links I included both had the images. But here's what it looks like filled with gear, from each side.

The top level has...

... tall thin bag with short speaker pole, mic stand, and a stand to put an iPhone/iPad in if I want to get video of the gig

... tall thin bag with Bose PA top unit and PA cables

... red bag with all the keyboard pedals/cables

... Bose PA bottom unit in its cover

... small soft case with PA mixer

... 8" speaker case with powered speaker for keyboards

... 2-tier keyboard stand on top

The bottom level has the two keyboards, plus a bag with spare cables/accessories and our mini-lighting system.

Everything is just laid in, except there's a little strap built into the thing, which I route through the spare cable bag on bottom, to make sure it doesn't fall off.

For a small venue gig, this is complete PA, keyboards, and lights in one trip. Total of all gear is under 150 lbs, so well below the official 225 lb weight capacity. Admittedly, these two keyboards are one of my lightest setups... if I picked the heaviest pair I might gig with these days, that could add about 20 lbs.

If we're playing a bigger venue, or we have a bigger band config, or if I'm doing a separate ceremony/cocktail, I could need more stuff, so a second trip could be necessary, e.g. there are times I might bring a third keyboard and extra keyboard stand, or a dedicated bass amp for LH bass, or additional small PA speakers/monitors. So two trips is still a possibility, but even that isn't bad, and often this one trip's worth would be fine.

ScreenShot2023-06-04at8_27_28PM.thumb.jpg.a7e32307cb86d0bc937232ab11e58dfa.jpg 

ScreenShot2023-06-04at8_27_43PM.thumb.jpg.38172c3d5155efa9abba77ea6e9db24d.jpg

For some reason your pics made me think about this little "cart"...

4564.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

"You live every day. You only die once."

Where is Major Tom?

- - - - -

PC3, HX3 w. B4D, 61SLMkII, SL73, Prologue 16, KingKORG, Opsix, MPC Key 37, DM12D, Argon8m, EX5R, Toraiz AS-1, IK Uno, Toraiz SP-16, Erica LXR-02, QY-700, SQ64, Beatstep Pro