Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Surprisingly special gigs

I’ve mentioned at least a couple times that my brother is in a long time popular covers band in Eastern Iowa. He’s been doing it since college (late 80s) and 10 years ago they got inducted into the Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (I know … big fish, small pond…but our mother was very proud :) ).  A typical gig for them is a  a couple hundred people but they play summer events where I’ve seen many thousand.  Mostly brewery, winery gigs (early hours!) these days.  Anyway in the last couple years they started doing a few shows at this farm where the owners take nothing, give all the cover to bands, BYOB.  Today weather was threatening so they moved it into the barn.  Very small crowd (20 people).  But the acoustics were fantastic (best I’ve ever heard them in 30 years ) and the 20 audience members were enthralled. Brought tears to my eyes even though I’ve heard these songs hundreds of times. And they had a blast (and won’t make squat)

So in that spirit, let’s hear about your unexpectedly joyous gigs. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Not joyus but unexpected for sure: in a juvenile prison some years ago. Guys there were up to 19 y o. and it was a very strange experience to say the least. 

At some point a guy came along with his entourage, checked our band, stayed for a while and left the gig in the middle of a song, having his entourage following him like a classic capo dei capi.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Played a wedding in Northern Ontario for an NHL player. I went in with the lowest of expectations, but everyone was genuinely receptive, respectful, knew how to party hard, and it stands as one of the best wedding gigs I’ve ever done.

• Like 2

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

So... this was as a DJ (and if that disqualifies me please don't read on) and just last summer. A couple of young guys contacted me about doing an 80s night (and probably why I was contacted because I'm well over 65 😄) in a mothballed Wendy's hamburger joint they converted into a bar. Wendy's closed it during the pandemic and it was just sitting there unused, so they got a sweet deal on a lease. Nothing had ever been done in there before. This is going to suck I thought, but reluctantly agreed.

I started in the outside seating area -  which was also incorporated into the bar - to no one. Drinks out there were being served from the drive-thru. Gradually it it built and built and built until you could hardly move. We got a visit from the local police at 11pm about the noise, so with help I quickly moved inside and went until 2am. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bill H. said:

So... this was as a DJ (and if that disqualifies me please don't read on) and just last summer. A couple of young guys contacted me about doing an 80s night (and probably why I was contacted because I'm well over 65 😄) in a mothballed Wendy's hamburger joint they converted into a bar. Wendy's closed it during the pandemic and it was just sitting there unused, so they got a sweet deal on a lease. Nothing had ever been done in there before. This is going to suck I thought, but reluctantly agreed.

I started in the outside seating area -  which was also incorporated into the bar - to no one. Drinks out there were being served from the drive-thru. Gradually it it built and built and built until you could hardly move. We got a visit from the local police at 11pm about the noise, so with help I quickly moved inside and went until 2am. 

Serving alcohol from the drive-thru to walk-ups right?

I would not be surprised if the cops showed up and didn't notice you serving alcohol to people driving up in cars though. It is part of their training and job duties but cops are just people with flaws like all of us. I was walking down the street one afternoon and observed a police car almost hit a woman pushing a baby stroller in a pedestrian crossing. The driver never saw her and she was at least 10 feet away from the curb well into the street. I learned by experience that you should lead the way when using a dolly after almost nailing someone in the legs as I entered a doorway dolly first. I believe it would be safest by leading the way into the crosswalk with a stroller. The stroller was out in the street leading the way into a danger zone of traffic. The mother also assumed the police car would stop and had time to gauge the car's speed before she entered the crosswalk. There are flaws on all sides. I have also observed a "mother and parent entitlement" mindset with people expecting the world to bow for them. You open a can of problems when you deviate from being an equal among billions wherever you are and whatever you are doing.

The drive-thru alcohol dispenser reminded me of when I was in my 20's and I ordered a beer to go with my lunch take-out order. Chalk one up for being naive. When you are a law abiding kid you don't think like a criminal. It is like people who do not routinely speed getting ticketed the one time they speed because they don't know all the things to look out for enabling them to get away with it. I wasn't going to eat and drink on the road. Eating in my car was no different than consuming lunch outdoors at the sandwich shop's tables, except that drinking the beer in my car would be illegal ( sigh ).  But the guy felt that because I even asked it gave him permission to be a totally rude duck-head instead of just saying "I cannot legally do that."

My favorite recurring gig in recent years was at an old historic general store. The front door is right next to where the band has to set up, and there is no stage except for setting the drummer up in the front display window. The place holds 50 to 75 people at best, but when we played there the crowd was always considerably larger.

The audience's energy was what made that special. People partied hard and were very appreciative.

rgs2.jpg

• Like 2

Moe

---

When living in northern Colorado I gigged steadily with a country band for close to five years.  One treasured gig near the end of my time there was for a very loyal fan, and a few of her friends. She had been wrestling with a long-term illness since we'd met, but was nearing the end of her life. Originally the band planned to do an unplugged concert at her home, but that shifted to a hospice facility. So we ended up playing a small set of material with lots of vocal harmony over a speakered digital piano and acoustic guitars. One of my most memorable gigs, ever. RIP, Paula!

• Like 3
  • Love 4

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Though it has not been true in every instance, most often my experience has been that the more money a gig pays, the less enjoyable it will be to perform. New Years Eve gigs are particularly guilty. Though the converse has not always been true, sometimes the humble gigs have struck me as surprisingly enjoyable. Impromptu performances, unexpected guest appearances with musically empathetic performers, etc. Sometimes when the joy of making music was able to supersede monetary expectations, I have had my strongest musical moments. 

My dad’s father was an immigrant coal miner/fiddler. I have an old promo photo of him in spats. He used to play fiddle gigs at weddings and such, long before amplification was the norm.

In the middle of my stint as a uni student I was desperate for employment and I took on a series of gigs as a sub with a kind of hoaky old-time dance band. The band members were salt of the earth nice guys and, during that economic downturn, any well paying summer job was hard to find. The small town band played mostly even smaller town gigs. Once, while we were playing in a remote community hall, the power went out in the middle of set one. We decided to try going very old school, all the way back the days of my grandfather. We cobbled together an all acoustic rendition of the band. I had to wash dried puke off of the community hall piano. (Sheesh!) The drummer applied towels to his drum heads. The singer made a megaphone out of an empty bleach bottle. The tenor sax player was set. The bass player drank beer while I hammered away with my left hand. A gas power generator gave us enough power for minimal lights and away we went. The crowd loved it. Nothing about the gig was “cool”, but I really enjoyed making people who attended happy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As our band gets more into higher-paying "corporate" gigs, I am finding that to be true as well. You become wallpaper basically, and the load-ins and other hassles increase.  Makes me really wonder why these places/events hire bands at all, not that I'm complaining.   In pre-AI days, I'd think a DJ makes more sense, and now....someone is going to come up with an "AI station" where like a jukebox you can pick a singer to cover any tune from a big list. Have Paul McCartney sing Guns n Roses or whatever. Patent pending! :) 

It's not "joyous"--mainly because it hasn't happened yet!--but we have a "special" gig coming up.  I read the description relayed by the singer and thought it was a typo.  We have several hours where we can load in for a corporate event, including bringing our own PA--for a one hour show.   Our setup will take as long as we play (though we can do it more quickly in a pinch).  We are getting paid more for this (by a fair bit) than most of our 3-4 hour shows.  Odd.   Honestly once I'm set up and playing I don't want to play only for an hour!  :) 

• Like 2

Does bittersweet count?  A terminal cancer patient's family organized a Celebration of Life party and we were the band.  Her final wish was to have a big party and see all her loved ones have a blast.  We were more than happy to supply the soundtrack.  And we played our hearts out for them.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Mine was definitely the show I attended in Adelaide that was part of Roger Waters’ “Us and Them” tour in 2018.

TL;DR - I expected to be bogged down analysing the performance, instead I was emotionally swept up.

The context here is that for years I have played in a touring Pink Floyd tribute.  In 2018 when Roger blew through Australia I had been in my band for six years.

I have spent thousands of hours with my head in Pink Floyd’s music.  Thinking about sounds, song structures, lyrics, meanings, themes and countless facts about the original band and its members.  For me, all of these are non-negotiable requirements of my job.  I’ve also studied myriad live performances of this music by Pink Floyd, Roger, David Gilmour, Nick Mason and pretty much every tribute artist I can find who has a clip on YouTube.  These days I force myself to do this, I’d be lying if I said I always find it enjoyable, but for me it is an important task.

When Roger arrived I was not intending to go to the show.  I figured I’d just be sitting there picking the songs apart and generally bringing down the mood of everyone around me with my over-analytical approach to the music.  However I did go, and what changed my mind was the simple fact that he was selling last minute seats at $75 per person (which is less than what we charge these days).  For that price, it was madness to say no, so I went.  I also took my sons who were then 18 and 14 years old.

What I severely underestimated was the power of Roger’s presentation of Pink Floyd’s music, and also his own solo songs.  The man clearly still has fire in the belly, and whether or not one agrees with his politics, when it comes to delivering his music on stage - he gives it everything he has.  I was reminded why so many people around the world are so enamoured with Pink Floyd, the show was simply stunning in every respect.  

My 14 year old was reduced to tears when Welcome to the Machine was played, and I became similarly emotional when the Battersea Power Station rose up from the floor of the Adelaide Entertainment Centre in front of my eyes.

It was the most stunning concert I’ve ever been to, and probably that I’ll ever go to.

I learned a lot about how a show should be presented that evening, and was reminded of the power of great music delivered with passion.  I also was reminded of the benefits of parking our own cynicism and allowing events around us to fully work their way in to our psyche via our senses.  Being able to share that experience with my kids (who were equally thrilled with the experience) was one of the best moments of my life.

Thanks for the $75 tickets Roger!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Had the privilege of playing strings and brass on keys 2 with the Former Ladies of the Supremes when they came thru Dubai a few years ago.
Doing real sight reading is not a thing most do around these parts, so I was lucky enough to do three nights with them.

Such lovely lovely talented vocalists - and, what a presence they had! To be vamping a few feet away on the small stage of the QE2 while they told stories of writing and singing with Diana, Tony Orlando and Dawn, Stevie Wonder et al was just a total pleasure. So much respect to be in the presence of these three amazing women. Such pride and passion in their performance… it was impossible not to be inspired.

Goosebumps all night. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Ladies_of_the_Supremes

• Like 2

As far as surprisingly special shows I've seen: Weird Al Yankovic. I'd been a casual fan for years (because what's not to like about Weird Al?) but not a diehard or anything. But the summer of 2010, I was home on break from college, and the local newspaper was doing a mail-in sweepstakes for free tickets to see Weird Al at the theater downtown. First prize was two front row tickets and a meet-and-greet. Second prize was two second row tickets and a meet-and-greet; this went all the way back to about the tenth row. I thought to myself, "how many people who read the newspaper in Reading, PA are going to actually bother to mail in for tickets to a Weird Al concert?"

So I wound up in the fifth or sixth row with a buddy, and let me tell you: I never would have gone to that show if I had to buy the tickets, but after seeing Al once, I will go see him any time he comes around. He sings like an angel, he plays the hell out of the accordion, his band is absolute fire, and they put on SUCH a performance (costumes! acrobatics! video screens!). After the show, we did get a quick hello and photo op with Al, who is very polite but very quiet and shy. My friend did wind up talking shop with Al's longtime guitarist, Jim West, for about half an hour. What a great night!

Screenshot2023-05-18at9_26_33AM.thumb.png.8fd188c3ff76b6882eb53039e5a725a2.png

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Many years ago, my eldest son was in junior high (prime Weird Al age) and begged to go to a show.  So (on my wife's birthday no less), the family drove to Davenport for the show.  Not only one of the more memorable concerts I've been to, but also one of our favorite family memories.  My younger son was 10ish and had never seen a spectacle like this (big screen videos, lasers, fog, etc) and his eyes were like saucers.  Making me smile just thinking about it.  

• Love 1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Saw Weird Al at a State Fair free show when he first hit it big. He was great. You could tell he just really enjoyed playing for people.

My story is also as a DJ. I had done my full time bit, decided to go back to school for a degree, and on top of that, lost my big rig in a fire where the band was practicing. Insurance did not quite cover what I owed on the rig. So, I was DJing to help with college. (Late 1980's). Got a New Year's Eve party at a country club for horse farm owners. Someone else booked it and paid me to do it. But, it was still decent money for a night's work. The dance was a benefit and the crowd was very rich so everything had a charge. Cheapest thing there was a little glass of soda for $5. I stayed away from the food and drink. Well, two things happened throughout the night. Two college age girls who would request songs noticed that I was not drinking anything. They must have knows that I was not about to pay those prices because they started bringing me drinks and snacks whenever they would request a song. They were very sweet for rich girls. The other thing was I had to deal with a drunk that kept wanting to talk on the microphone. After the second time I knew it was going to be an all night ordeal. I had two uncles who were alcoholics so I also knew how to handle him without embarrassment. I gave him his time on the microphone and when he left the second time I put the mic away. When he came back the third time I told him the microphone had quit working and I was having to finish the show without a mic. No one really wants to hear the DJ anyway so that was fine with me. After the dance one of the horse farm owners came up and said "We are sorry you had to deal with that, but you handled it very well. Here is a little something extra. We hope you will come back next year." He gave me an envelope with a $300 tip. For someone that had lost all music equipment in a fire and was going back to college, that was major. I left with a greater appreciation for horse farm owners, and their daughters.

• Love 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 5/14/2023 at 10:23 AM, o0Ampy0o said:

Serving alcohol from the drive-thru to walk-ups right?

I would not be surprised if the cops showed up and didn't notice you serving alcohol to people driving up in cars though. It is part of their training and job duties but cops are just people with flaws like all of us.

Yeah there were barricades to prevent cars from driving up. The drive through windows of the Wendy's and the area around them were incorporated into the outside seating of the bar. During the pandemic, the OLCC (division of the state that controls liquor licenses) in an effort to promote outside seating greatly relaxed it's conditions, and these young club owners took advantage of that with a large outside seating area about twice the size of the indoor bar. 

This former Wendy's is a stand alone structure in front of a strip mall with a Motel 6 on one side and a Hilton Inn about a block away. I've worked enough outside gigs to be very careful with levels, and walked over to the Motel 6 to make sure the music wasn't getting over there. The noise complaints came from a mobile home park from across a nearby interstate! I was amazed they could hear it at all above the traffic noise, but I guess they did. 

I did another gig in there last night - but inside. They do amazing business because it's in a high traffic area with a number of large apartment complexes within walking distance nearby.