Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Something old & something new: pork chops & red beans…with garlic scapes

This past Saturday, I picked up something new at the Farmers’ Market: garlic scapes.  Those are the leaves and blossom of a garlic plant- 100% edible after trimming a little bit of the older growth at the base. 

And we tried the scapes last night, served with oven-baked pork chops and some red beans & rice:

[MEDIA=imgur]a/amqnN2W[/MEDIA]

They were OK, but not compelling.  Flavor was somewhere between green onion and roasted garlic, and not particularly strong.  I also may have overcooked them a bit. 

I want to try them one more time using a different cooking method.  I’m thinking instead of a sauté, I’ll steam them and serve them with a creamy wine/lemon sauce or some kind.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scapes is a new term to me too. I used to grow garlic in my garden and used the tops all the time. I called them "garlic chives" (which turns out to be incorrect) because they kind of look like chives. I'd slice them up in salads, sauces, garlic bread. Basically anywhere that could use a hint of garlic - which IMHO means everywhere.

image.thumb.png.e78d1caf2002b297d723a862047751d9.png

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain