Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording of Piano

ART.

Hi there! This may seem like a newbie kind of question but I want to make sure I get it right as I can’t find any concrete explanation to it. As piano isn’t the most portable instrument around, many of my family members haven’t heard me play, or friends, etc. How do you go about recording piano and sharing it to social media without copyright issues or getting your videos taken down or reported? I’d love to put a song on in the background from Apple Music and play along with it and record it and be able to share it for family and friends to see, with NO intention of making any money from it or receiving any credit for anything in regards to the song. Just wanting and trying to share the joy of music and my progress on piano as I go along. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Why not just create a Youtube account and make it private or mark posts to be unlisted.   So only people you tell can find the post so the copyright bots are less likely to snitch on you.   Private youtubes is how teachers I've worked with to exchange videos for lessons so they are available to the whole world to see. 

• Like 2

I read the OP and I was putting together an answer with a lot of legal mumbo jumbo LOL. But then I saw Docbop’s answer and I like that approach better.  So, here’s my version of that. Create a google drive account and share the user name and password with whomever you want. Then put anything you want on there

• Like 1

I've done what Docbop suggests, I wanted to share a version of Sleepwalk that I'd played with family. 

I had zero problems doing it that way and I think it's still up on there. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have posted a number of videos on YT of me playing and singing a cover of this or that tune.  YT marks them with "Copyright Claim" but does not remove them.  It simply says that it cannot be monetized.

I have not done this with background music, though.  They might be more strict about that.  

• Like 1

How YouTube treats your cover song very much depends on the owner of the publishing rights.  Making the video private or unlisted will not change this. The good news is most covers will get through with merely a copyright claim, not a takedown. 

However if you are really risk averse, your best bet is to share it in a private Google Drive, Dropbox or similar file sharing app as @RalphF has already suggested.

• Like 1