Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Olympics discussion thread

Just wanted to say is congrats to Phelps and The US Woman Gymnastics team for the victories.

It really is shameful for NBC to portrait the woman's team as disapointing for them bringing home Silver. Uh Hello?? Silver is not a disgrace. Romania has been living gymnastics as a lifestyle since the days of Nadia got perfect 10's. No shame loosing to them.

And this thought that Phelps is somehow anything but a magnificent and incredible winning athlete is just stupidity. Mark Spitz, never heard his name come out of Phelps mouth, but I sure heard the story hungry journalists say it about 358 times! Phelps kicked ass, and is still kicking ass in this thing, just imagine if we'd never heard the comparison how the public would feel about Phelps. Go on and get your medals brother!!!

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by nursers:

Aussies will get more medals in Swimming than the US

Thanks to Alex Baumann, the Canadian swimmer and current CEO of Queensland Swimming in Australia, responsible for breeding the greatest swimmers in Aussie history.

On the music thing....

Was that the Polyphonic Spree in the opening ceremony???

I hear they are cool!!! Opened up for Bowie on a leg there...

And Bjork also sang in the opening; awesome choice if you ask me.

Both acts seems "world-y" to me.

Nooo... the Great British Badminton duo of Nathan Robertson and Gail Emms were narrowly beaten in the mixed final. Definitely the highlight of the games so far for me but such a shame we didn't get the gold.
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by Jeebus:

Aussies will get more medals in Swimming than the US

Thanks to Alex Baumann, the Canadian swimmer and current CEO of Queensland Swimming in Australia, responsible for breeding the greatest swimmers in Aussie history.
Hmm that might be a LITTLE bit of an exaggeration. Oz swimming head coach until last year, Don Talbot, gets a lot of the credit. Thorpe is from New South Wales so no Queensland influence there either ;)

The performances of the aussie swimmers is due to more than a decade of solid funding and support.

And apparently, it didn't help!

Other Olympic thoughts:

Belated congrats to Paul Hamm on his Gold Medal win in gymnastics. Was tickled for him. Was even more tickled trying to imagine his voice on helium!

And congrats to the men's swimming team. Even though after seeing all those semifinals, MY skin was getting pruny.

That Khorkina stick bug must have thought shitty attitude was worth 9/10's of a point. Even if there was a gold medal for congeniality, she threw herself out of contention for it long ago.

My wife is beginning to get tired of watching women's beach volleyball. Actually, she's getting tired of ME watching women's beach volleyball!

Aren't the women track runners awful slow this time around?

Fancy that...after joking about it with my daughter, I found out badmitton IS an olympic sport!

Sometimes it's easy to spot who ISN'T going to win gold. Just listen for who the announcers say they think WILL!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by whitefang:

Other Olympic thoughts:

Belated congrats to Paul Hamm on his Gold Medal win in gymnastics. Was tickled for him.

Well, technically, he won.

"For instance" is not proof.

:confused:

I thought we did ok, given we're a country of 22 million people...

All kidding aside, I look at it this way...

In the four years between each Olympic games, I surmise about 10,000 athletes bust their humps in order just to get to the try-outs. At least in this country. In the end, maybe 15-25 make it to the games. Just for one event. To me, that means the lot of them are ALREADY winners. And that the one who comes in dead last, be it running, swimming, diving...whatever...is STILL a far better athlete than 10,000 other people.

Yet, there are STILL athletes who come to these games with the attitude that any medal is theirs just because they showed up. Like Svetlana Khorkina.

In earnest, I'd have to say the Australian team put up VERY good effort. Much of the time, the bar they set was the one to top. And the topping of it wasn't easy. I'm pretty sure all those who competed against them, regardless of the level of success, would agree.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

My wife is beginning to get tired of watching women's beach volleyball. Actually, she's getting tired of ME watching women's beach volleyball!

...[/QB]

no wonder... :love:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/2692142

Misty, play for me ... and Kerri, too

Sam Kellerman / FOXSports.com

Posted: 1 hour ago

I confess that I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to women's beach volleyball. In fact, I know only one thing about the sport that it is the supreme aesthetic experience available on planet Earth. Whatever women do to prepare their bodies for beach volleyball competition, it sculpts them into a shape that pleases the eye at least my eye. What's more, at least one chick is sprawled out on the sand at the end of almost every point.

The version of "America The Beautiful" they play at each US medal presentation is very cool. The chords at "America, America, God Shed His Grace On Thee" are a little different but not too far out there. Anyone know who did that particular arrangement?

If anyone read this, it was a test and as you can see... got no response.

GY

Women's hurdles, one girl falls into another girl, who is supremely pissed cuz it knocked her out of the race. They said she could file a protest but nothing happened. You train for years and somebody knocks you out. That seems grossly unfair. :cry:

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Mainly because all the ambition I have at the time is to sit and stare at the monitor/TV when I turn on the TV box I've caught a lot of mens and womens soccer games of which I've never watched or knew nothing about (still know very little about) but I think I'm hooked on it. It's an amazingly fast and

stimulating game. I'll have to dig into it more.

It managed to make some seeming endless depressing and fruitless composing-wise days more bearable.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I turned on the TV at 2 am and it was beach volleyball - then again at 7am - beach volleyball - then again at 2pm - beach volleyball :mad:

This was how our mad TV stars Roy and HG currently doing their TV show The Dream live every night from Athens recently described the current medal count at the games so far in their perspective.

it goes like this:

New Zealand has a population of 4mil and has won

2 gold - 0 silver 0 Bronze.

If New Zealand had the population of Australia (20 mil) it would have won

10 gold 0 silver 0 Bronze.

Australia has won 16 gold 11 Silver 15 Bronze.

If Australia had the population of the US (280 mil) it would have won

224 gold - 154 Silver 210 Bronze.

:D:D

Cheers

John

No excuses?

NBA commissioner David Stern told reporters.

"A group of great basketball players came to Greece ... This roster would be the envy of any of the 30 general managers in the NBA. I offer no apologies for this team."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=6093978

"The U.S. for the night shot just 41.6 percent from the field and was 3-of-11 (.273 percent) from 3-point. Argentina made 32-of-59 shots for 54.2 percent, and was 11-of-22 from 3-point."

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2004/04_moly7.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2004/08/27/2002017926.jpg

http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/mdf677817.jpg

Yay, go Brits! We did quite well in the medals today I see. Kicked the USA into silver in the 4x100m men's relay..... :)

I have been watching the Olympics in HD (channel 9425 on DishNetwork) on my new DVR921 receiver. The coverage is a day behind, but they are showing much more action....and it's AWESOME in HD!!! :thu:

Anyone else been watching it in HD?

:DTR

Originally posted by WFTurner:

I've caught a lot of mens and womens soccer games of which I've never watched or knew nothing about (still know very little about) but I think I'm hooked on it. It's an amazingly fast and

stimulating game. I'll have to dig into it more.

William, if you get the chance you should watch Arsenal play. They are the English football champions and are currently on a 44 game unbeaten streak. They really are a joy to watch - so smooth and elegant, their players seem to have a telepathic understanding of what each other is about to do. Best of, you can clearly see how much they enjoy the game and how pleased they are for each other all the time. 16 goals in their first four games this season, they're gonna take some stopping.

I see that USA track and field won one quarter of the total USA medals!! Niiiiice!! :D

I always said week 2 of the Olympics was like USA magic! It's really too bad about Marion Jones though. She had a bad day of all bad days ending with that 4X100 final..

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived