Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things that people write in gear ads that make you cringe....

20 hours ago, elsongs said:

"X, Y, and Z are broken, but u can fix it easily." 

HOW BOUT *YOU* 'FIX IT EASILY' BEFORE SELLING IT?

I guess V and W are out of the equation?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

8 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Not weird at all! I've even had people ask me if I have some specific ones available. Quality reed is ever harder to find as a source material, which makes it ironic that Vandoren mostly now has 9 out of 10 vs. 1 out of 10 good reeds per box.

Some brands are out of business but still loved and/or changed production style and/or source/origin/country. I gave some La Bella reeds to several people recently.

Perhaps there is an unspoken part that is missing from your statement though. Are you referring to USED reeds? I am specifically talking about NIB unused vintage reeds. If stored properly, they can last eons.

"The weirdest I've seen was someone selling old saxophone reeds (used) on ebay as "vintage".  I am not kidding."

Looks like you missed something?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

9 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

"The weirdest I've seen was someone selling old saxophone reeds (used) on ebay as "vintage".  I am not kidding."

Looks like you missed something?

Nope I didn't see that. The parentheses (and the word was not bolded) did not play well with my eyes and scanning. I have cataracts and other visual issues and see a lot of spots so I have to guess or reread a lot these days.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

42 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

Nope I didn't see that. The parentheses (and the word was not bolded) did not play well with my eyes and scanning. I have cataracts and other visual issues and see a lot of spots so I have to guess or reread a lot these days.

I had cataracts and had the surgery a year or two ago. They removed the foggy lenses and replaced them with prescription contact lenses. I went from 20/240 in each eye (no, I am not kidding!) to 20/30. But, I was nearsighted and now I am farsighted. So I must wear readers to see the computer screen with any clarity. 

I did bold and underline the word you missed so you would see it. I've lived one form of visual impairment or another my entire life. You are not alone!!!!!

When I had the cataract surgery I had 3 choices. They could give me sharp close up vision and I would be nearsighted, or sharp distance vision and I would be farsighted OR one nearsighted eye and one farsighted eye. The "one of each" option would cost $3,500, the other two were covered by Medicare. 

I passed on the one of each option, it seemed to me that depth perception could be compromised and it could be confusing. Friends who've had it done corroborate that concept. I thought about it and 2 things crash - computers and cars. But nobody dies when computers crash so I chose the farsighted option. It's wonderful to be able to drive and see what's happening all around me without glasses!!!!!

• Like 1

There's a guy who's been trying to hawk his late Minimoog (13xxx serial no.) in average to good condition.

I'll treat you to the whole thing, courtesy of macOS translation: 

NOTE:

My initial offer of 9,999 EUR has been increased by 250 EUR every month since 08/22 (background: see following text).

A Minimoog, which is unique in several respects, is offered here.

But first:

What is the general supply situation?

Currently (as of the end of April 2022), the average offer prices are as follows:

- Ebay USA: 11,413 euros incl. shipment (here import duty would be added)

- Ebay Germany: currently no offers

- Ebay Classifieds: 1 offer for 10,000 euros

- Reverb: 9,162 euros (price history chart: last stand around 7,000 euros; in December 2021 at 9,000 euros)

The prices mentioned are the average prices of all minis offered on the respective platform.

And their condition?

Devices are offered here, some of which consist only of scratches. And the condition is then still described as "good" to "excellent."

My Mini, on the other hand, has almost no signs of wear.

According to this, it would have to be priced at the upper end of the minis offered on the platforms, i.e. around 13,000 euros.

On the other hand:

The prices offered on Ebay & Co. are of course offer prices, the actual closing costs will be lower. Let's calculate 10%. Then you would be at 11,700 euros.

Then he would have to be refurbished. If you can't or don't want to do this yourself, you will come to about 500 to 800 euros (details on request). If we take the upper end, then a reasonable selling price would be around 10,900 euros.

And the following points are not yet taken into account:

1. Numerous meaningful photos that show the condition in detail; the pictures are bright, everything is exactly recognizable

2. Condition: In contrast to almost all other offers, hardly any scratches, as the Mini was prudent and above all little used

3. Origin: Synthesizer Studio Bonn, Dirk Matten & Co. have worked with Kraftwerk for many years and supplied them with equipment

4. Age: One of the last Minimoogs ever produced

5. Only used for a few years (from 1981 to 1985), unused for almost 40 years

6. The mini never stood on a stage, was only used privately, was never transported

7. Uncrafted, no changes compared to the state of delivery

8. Non-smoking device

In short:

Presumably, there will not be a mini in such good condition in the world that has been used as little as this one. And the price is far from being in the maximum range.

In view of all these points, it becomes clear that an average price for this mini itself would not be appropriate. Nevertheless, I initially offer it for a comparatively moderate 9,999 euros - which keeps it below the pain threshold of a 5-digit amount. Sure, a lot of money. But for such a mini just rather moderate, rather a bargain.

As an interested party, you could now ask yourself:

Why not just wait?

Maybe something similarly good can be found cheaper after all.

This is unlikely:

- Every year the Vintage Minis are getting less.

- And the condition of the remaining ones is getting worse

The condition of mine, on the other hand, remains unchanged:

It is not used.

And it is well and safely stored in the original packaging.

In other words:

- Demand will not decrease, but supply will decrease.

- Prices will therefore continue to rise, as they have in recent years. Especially with such minis in top condition. Their value will increase disproportionately.

- And now there is also the higher inflation, which will continue to drive all prices.

In other words: If you want to buy a mini, then you should do it sooner rather than later, the prices will continue to rise.

Conclusion:

This Minimoog should be quite unique in terms of condition and origin. I don't think anything comparable will be offered again.

I'll note that this is at least his second try; he started his first in April 2022 and reset the price in August. He's currently at 12,250€.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

13 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I had cataracts and had the surgery a year or two ago. They removed the foggy lenses and replaced them with prescription contact lenses. I went from 20/240 in each eye (no, I am not kidding!) to 20/30. But, I was nearsighted and now I am farsighted. So I must wear readers to see the computer screen with any clarity. 

I did bold and underline the word you missed so you would see it. I've lived one form of visual impairment or another my entire life. You are not alone!!!!!

When I had the cataract surgery I had 3 choices. They could give me sharp close up vision and I would be nearsighted, or sharp distance vision and I would be farsighted OR one nearsighted eye and one farsighted eye. The "one of each" option would cost $3,500, the other two were covered by Medicare. 

I passed on the one of each option, it seemed to me that depth perception could be compromised and it could be confusing. Friends who've had it done corroborate that concept. I thought about it and 2 things crash - computers and cars. But nobody dies when computers crash so I chose the farsighted option. It's wonderful to be able to drive and see what's happening all around me without glasses!!!!!

(Not to derail thread... Please PM me if interested in elaborating) Did you mean to say "prescription contact lenses" or just prescription eye lenses? Also, I have read that your brain can make the adjustment regarding the conflicting input which might lead to compromised depth perception. I imagine that depends on whether you focus on one eye instead of maintaining a moving scan using both eyes (avoiding slight fixation and good while driving a vehicle). I have another concern, which is how all of this effects my ability to see and translate that into drawing and painting. Just prescription eye glasses produced distortions. In this context you need more than post-cataract surgery restored clarity and true color perception. Distortion, as in proportions and relationships of planes and shapes, can be impossible to address when you have no way to compare it to reality. Artists squint then relax their gaze. You can remove eye glasses. But the eye lens is always what you see through.

Related if tangentially: I once had specific need for a Mackie Onyx 12. I finally got it on eBay. No mention of Mackie or Onyx in the title or the description. The auction was for a “broken analogue mixer.” One of the faders was missing its cap. Got it for $75. In the old days, guitar collectors  used to get huge scores because a guitar had a broken string. “My expert friend assures me that this can be fixed by a qualified technician.”

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I’ve always wondered about treasures being sold by some clueless people for ridiculously low prices. Stolen items? Or a widow finally gets rid of her deceased husband’s “gadgets” 😀

P.S. This deserves a separate thread or can just be moved to a thread with humor and jokes but in February 2021 when I got Covid and since we were all too scared I made a list with all my music equipment and approximate price that I was ready to text to my wife in case I got worse 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️ Luckily I got through Covid as a rather mild flu for a few days. And luckily I kept that list on my phone and never sent it or otherwise she would have seen the actual price of all that stuff at home she hates kicking around! 😬 I just noticed the list is so much out of date with many synths already sold and new keyboards added in the meanwhile… 😳

5 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I’ve always wondered about treasures being sold by some clueless people for ridiculously low prices. Stolen items? Or a widow finally gets rid of her deceased husband’s “gadgets” 😀

I once bought a Gurian guitar at Salvation Army for $65.00. It had a couple of problems and needed repair but overall very playable and handmade by Michael Gurian and a small, select crew of luthiers. I decided not to have it repaired and sold it as-is with a full description on eBay for just a bit over $1,300 once the auction was ended. Thrift store stuff is safe, not hot. Nobody will steal something and donate it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

This is why I stopped wearing contacts a few years ago, as I don't use visual correction on the computer (this MOSTLY works, except when on the screen for huge numbers of hours such as when doing overtime or this week when doing taxes, then my eyes start fogging and seeing spots and other problems too numerous to list). It seemed silly to wear contacts only to have to put on corrective near vision eyeglasses for computer work, which is where I spend so much of my day (although not as much as pre-COVID).

After moving into this house last year, I misplaced my scissors and searched for a month. During that time, I consistently looked where they actually were, but didn't see them! Only when I got on a stool to dust the tops of my kitchen windows and was looking at the window divider from above vs. dead-on, did I spot them. It kind of scared me. I don't like driving at night (or driving period), as a result. But cataract surgery may be soon, once I find an eye doctor here (I haven't been seen in years), who is covered vs. out-of-pocket (a big problem for dental and eye work here, as my company is RI based, so there aren't many in-network choices here in VA).

Sorry for getting off track there, but given the vintage of a majority of the forum members, it probably is relevant enough!

My bandleader came to rehearsal today with a Facebook Marketplace find: a Squier 2004 rare Telecaster with the original super-narrow P-Bass headstock style, humbucker in the bridge, and something more akin to a Strat pickup in the neck, along with a five-way switch (as I recall). $60, as the seller had it in the closet for 10 years and didn't know how to play. The usual story: "my boyfriend gave it to me". I usually don't believe those stories, but he's pretty sure she was telling the truth. It plays great! It even came with a quality hardshell case that on its own would cost $120 new!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CyberGene said:

But really, what difference does it make?   The universe is 6 billion years old and the concept of money is only is only 5000 year old at the most.

Memory is only about 60 years old, so who is going to care?

• Haha 3

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 4/14/2023 at 11:09 PM, ABECK said:

"Only a couple of keys exhibit red glue issue.....easy to fix."

Hee hee this made me laugh big time.

All keys will be affected as the red glue is going to do the same to 76 keys as it would to one.

Even if all the weights havent fallen out the goo has turned to mucus and only holding weights on by virtual vacuum. Hee hee

I have two Roland XP-80s with said affliction to restore. I can tell without looking under the keys that all keys are affected simply by counting the huge number of key weights that have fallen out / off.

I hope i have collected all weights but over the years some may be lost even before my ownership. Who knows till I restore them. One is hardly used and in its box and the other a heavily gigged one which might become unweighted offering up any weights to the boxed one)

Easy to fix is another laugh as Ive read removing the goo is time consuming and apparently has frustrated many punters.

Once i move house ill set them up side by side and restore.

• Like 1

The unknowledgeable ex-mate claims can be legit. I am just one person in billions and I never buy used, (FD I have purchased two guitars used in my lifetime but I generally buy everything new), but I have been close enough to two such opportunities to know they exist.

7 hours ago, CyberGene said:

They might not be clueless. Unless a person really needs the money, low prices and a quick sale might be just the right thing. 

A similar discussion about the value of such items came up recently in my family. I figure that a piece of gear is only worth money if you want to go to all the hassle of selling it. One of my brothers died several years ago and left behind a collection of hunting rifles, some new and some vintage. He knew that he was dying and could have gotten rid of the collection himself, but he left it for us to deal with. Initially, I was not the one tasked with finding homes for the guns or selling them, but it looks like that job might become my responsibility after all. I don’t care at all what they are worth; I would just want them out of my life asap. I know that there are options such as auctions and such, but here in Canada I would have to go through all the hassle of acquiring a gun license. These items are of no importance to me and I know that I can contact our police and they will pick up the items for disposal. Doing such a thing would piss my late brother off, but he had his chance to do the deed his way and left it to the family instead. We already did our bit to honour him by tending to his palliative care in his home. The collection is just stuff. 

Subsequently, I have informed my wife that if I should die suddenly, she need not worry about selling my gear at market value, or any such thing. She could throw my stuff away or (hopefully) give it away. I smile to think of what such an ad for free musical gear might look like. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Piktor said:

They might not be clueless. Unless a person really needs the money, low prices and a quick sale might be just the right thing. 

I'll second that.   When I sell used stuff on Craigslist or similar, I always price it low.   If I sell it to the first person that shows up, mission accomplished.    If I was dead broke, things might be different, but I'm not. 

13 hours ago, Piktor said:

A similar discussion about the value of such items came up recently in my family. I figure that a piece of gear is only worth money if you want to go to all the hassle of selling it. One of my brothers died several years ago and left behind a collection of hunting rifles, some new and some vintage. He knew that he was dying and could have gotten rid of the collection himself, but he left it for us to deal with. Initially, I was not the one tasked with finding homes for the guns or selling them, but it looks like that job might become my responsibility after all. I don’t care at all what they are worth; I would just want them out of my life asap. I know that there are options such as auctions and such, but here in Canada I would have to go through all the hassle of acquiring a gun license. These items are of no importance to me and I know that I can contact our police and they will pick up the items for disposal. Doing such a thing would piss my late brother off, but he had his chance to do the deed his way and left it to the family instead. We already did our bit to honour him by tending to his palliative care in his home. The collection is just stuff. 

Subsequently, I have informed my wife that if I should die suddenly, she need not worry about selling my gear at market value, or any such thing. She could throw my stuff away or (hopefully) give it away. I smile to think of what such an ad for free musical gear might look like. 

Having dealt with a bandleader's estate a few years ago, I can relate, but I was also trying to do the best I could for his daughter's sake, and it took over my life for four months. These days, the "time is money" mantra is more powerful than ever, and I take huge losses on almost everything I sell anymore. I only resent it when someone else with a bad condition identical item and no description comes in at a way higher price. I put a lot of time and effort into writing highly descriptive and informative ads.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 12:22 AM, NoLights said:

I love it when someone says “comes with power chord”. 

Reminds me of the old department store advertisements selling audio equipment back in the 70's and 80's. Often in the list of specs it would say...."features volume control"

I also saw somewhere once, a real audio amp that had a graduated volume knob that really did go to "11"!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

On the other hand, I always appreciate it when they mention they STILL have the power cord, as most don't! And for stuff like Nord, that can be a PITA as you can't just run down to the hardware store to buy one that works.

19 minutes ago, Mark Schmieder said:

And for stuff like Nord, that can be a PITA as you can't just run down to the hardware store to buy one that works.

Is that right? The older Nords use a figure-8 C7 plug, and the newer ones use C13 ("kettle plug"). Both are common in UK and Europe - are they rare in US?

This is one advantage of internal power supplies - an external PSU can be much harder to replace.

Regards, Mike.

7 hours ago, Baggypants said:

I'm going to be selling a CZ1000 this thread is absolute gold. I'm going to be putting all of it in.

Remember "All-new" means nobody knows how it compares. "Acclaimed" means it's the same old crap.

Cheers, Mike

No box, manual or power cord. (Otherwise, swiped off of a stage when no one was looking.)

Trumpet. Excellent condition. Just look at the pictures. (Picture reveals patches of rust and a dent in the center valve casing.

Made in the same factory as ...

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

10 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Is that right? The older Nords use a figure-8 C7 plug, and the newer ones use C13 ("kettle plug"). Both are common in UK and Europe - are they rare in US?

This is one advantage of internal power supplies - an external PSU can be much harder to replace.

Regards, Mike.

Remember "All-new" means nobody knows how it compares. "Acclaimed" means it's the same old crap.

Cheers, Mike

Not used much in the USA but I suppose a hard search would find one. I would never buy another Nord again after my first three, as I had too many gig disasters as they come out so easily, then there's the long reboot time. 

At any rate, my real point is that most people seem to throw out the box when they buy something, with the power cable and user guide. I'll never understand it, but I suppose it has to do with family upbringing.

Right now, I am seeing WX5's go for wild variations in price, with no relation to what is included. People are independently selling the WX cable for $100, not to mention AC adapter gouging! Usually when people are missing parts it's just sloppiness, but some people cannibalize everything into separate ads to try to maximize profit.

Years ago, I was looking for a Roland A-80 controller (88 weighted keys), I already had an A-50.   I loved that thing, gigged with it for many years.  (This was just before the start of the era of decent lightweight slab pianos).  I wanted a matched set, A-80 at home, A-50 on gigs.

Anyway, I saw an A-80 on Craigslist.   I phoned the guy up and asked about the condition.  I think I said something like "So, what condition is it in?  Is it beat-up, is it in mint condition, what?"   ( I think I used the words "mint condition" which to normal people means original condition, as in "almost perfect".  It originated as a coin-collector term)    So, the guy glommed onto "mint condition" - "Yeah, it's in mint condition".   I think I said "Are you sure?   It's a pretty long drive out to where you are..."     "Yep, mint condition".    So I drove out to see it, a 45 minute drive each way.  The thing was beat to s**t, naturally.   I was so pissed.

I guess the moral of the story is, "mint condition" may not mean the same thing to the seller as it does to you....

2 hours ago, Floyd Tatum said:

Years ago, I was looking for a Roland A-80 controller (88 weighted keys), I already had an A-50.   I loved that thing

Anyway, I saw an A-80 on Craigslist.   So the guy glommed onto "mint condition" - "Yeah, it's in mint condition".   I think I said "Are you sure?   It's a pretty long drive.

Hee hee.

Still chasing an A80 I'd imagine. Their thin on the ground. 

Ahh... so youre prepared to view in person.

Then Have I got a deal for you.

just a short flight to Australia for you my Craigslist friend. 

You can have mine.

"Mint condition you ask?"

Well it comes with a pack of Minties. Cant get any more mint than that. An Aussie delicasy.

Whats that the synth guys say "minty fresh"

Doesnt your Sweetwater shop supply sweets with each purchase. Here you get an Aussie sweet.

• Haha 1