Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transcription of Hammond Organ Opening Solo of "Blues - Part II" from Blood, Sweat and Tears, 1968 Release

I have recently upgraded my organ rig originally consisting of a Korg BX-3, Digital Version, amplified by a Motion Sound PRO 145. I have now added a Lounsberry Organ Grinder Pedal to achieve the tone made famous by Steve Winwood on "Gimme Some Lovin' " by the Spencer Davis Group in 1966. 

That particular tone is referred to as "frying eggs."

Now I am searching for a transcription of the opening Hammond Organ Solo played by Dick Halligan on the seminal eleven minute "Blues - Part II" from Blood, Sweat and Tears, their second album from 1968.

This particular solo has elements of proto prog rock, contemporary classical and jazz with its extensive use of open parallel fifths plus octave, parallel fourths and dense chording. It also makes great use of plate reverb and flanging effects created by engineers Fred Catero and Roy Halee. In all, an outstanding example of how the Hammond was treated in this time period.

I have been unable to find any information about a transcription of this particular solo and fine work by Halligan. Perhaps the Keyboard Corner Community can offer some suggestions.

Here is a link to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood,_Sweat_%26_Tears_(Blood,_Sweat_%26_Tears_album)

• Like 1

Blues Part II was always one of my favorite tracks off the Blood Sweat and Tears album, and Dick Halligan did a great job playing the Hammond organ on it. It sounds to me like he is using a flanger/phaser on the Hammond organ.

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind that the technology to create classical analog reel-to-reel flanging had been developed and tried some years before. It was later in the 70's that rackmount and pedal devices, at first analog and then digital, were then created.

In the case of the B. S. and T recording, again it was 1968 and the engineers more than likely used plate reverb and reel-to-reel flanging effects.

Please see and read the accompanying link to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging

Count me in as one of the guys that always wanted a transcription of that solo.  Think that it's fabulous.  While we're at it, we need a good transcription of the piano intro to "Does anybody really know what time it is" by Chicago Transit Authority.  The one that I managed to find was way off.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I read the original post. A couple of days later I realize that this melody has been a recurring theme in my mind for the 50 years since I heard it. Just about every time I would start an improvisation using ascending fourths I would reflexively start playing this song. I barely remembered that it was BS&T. 

Our human (and probably mammalian and reptilian) ability to remember musical bits gobsmacks me. 

Very cool-Thanks for posting this!  

On 3/25/2023 at 12:50 AM, dacm said:

Now I am searching for a transcription of the opening Hammond Organ Solo played by Dick Halligan on the seminal eleven minute "Blues - Part II" from Blood, Sweat and Tears, their second album from 1968.

Might be a fun personal project for you?  Sounds like you already have an advanced ear.  There are some new looping -transcription apps out there that are more sophisticated than the methods we've all used in the past. 

I've used Capo fo a long while.  It's simple and clean, with a free version available.  http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/capo/

I recently switched to this:  https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

Has some nice specific EQ things for isolation, and super easy to create cue points for repeating sections - a note or chord at time if desired.   That feature alone sold me.  Also fairly intelligent basic chord recognition.   Because they are unique arrangements,  I typically have to do weekly song  transcriptions  for my Church gig. Then create Finale parts & charts.  The analysis these programs do isn't perfect... e.g  they're often confused by slash or some extended chords.   But can still help save some time, and get you in the ballpark.   I've got lots of holes in my music education.  So for me,  personally transcribing solos/songs has alway given a much better understanding (and retention) of the material.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.