Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whatever happened to Ultimate Apex stands?

8 minutes ago, mate stubb said:

I have an old USS stand laying around if anybody wants it. Not sure if it is an Apex or Deltex.

I imagine you are some distance from me (UK)....

• Haha 1

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

1 hour ago, Paul Woodward said:

Anyone ever gigged with this? I am assuming it’s the Ultimate V Stand Pro…

Call me crazy or extra cautious, but I'd be putting a strap or bungee around those 2 upright legs for added security for sure.

Old No7

• Haha 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

2 minutes ago, Old No7 said:

Call me crazy or extra cautious, but I'd be putting a strap or bungee around those 2 upright legs for added security for sure.

Old No7

Apparently it takes up to 68kg. Scary eh?

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

On 3/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, zephonic said:

All of this on mine, too. 

Mine, too ( I do still have the adjustable plastic piece at the bottom, though).

But all of this just adds to its charm.  🙂

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

17 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Another option for me is to take the Stagg keyboard table from my office/studio which the Korg Grandstage is sat on and buy the extension arms, then get a cheap replacement for the office where it’s currently hidden under an electric standing desk.

447084F0-56CB-4A56-AB3B-AF665EE7683D.jpeg

I've been using the On-Stage KS7150 Platform Style Keyboard Stand and occasionally the On-Stage KSA7500 Universal 2nd Tier along with it for a number of years now, instead of my venerable Apex, and I've grown to really like the stability and ease of setup with the platform stand. And as I mentioned recently in another thread, when transported upright on a Rock 'n Roller cart, the legs straddle the cart perfectly. The only drawback with the 2nd tier is that it uses up both of the square holes in the platform, so I can't attach my mic boom like I do when just using the platform alone. But a clamp situation, like you have pictured here, would fix that problem. As long as you trust the clamps.

• Like 3

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

10 hours ago, TommyS said:

Anyone remember that electric powered stand you could raise or lower with a switch?  Saw the original ad in Keyboard Magazine years ago........

K&M still do a powered table type stand…

43BADF5E-85DA-4350-9159-D3C8D8BFC5BB.jpeg

21 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Yes. Run away!   Possibly ok as a seated single tier, if you don't plan on gigging with it.  The 2nd tier is frightening.   Because of the way the entire stand wobbles,  it is ideal if you plan to incorporate bobble heads in your live show.  😃    Quicklock has a similar V-stand  I use for my organ rig.    Heavy,  but very sturdy.   But the 2nd tier is also another nightmare.   https://www.quiklok.it/en/quik-lok/qly40

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

13 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

I've been using the On-Stage KS7150 Platform Style Keyboard Stand and occasionally the On-Stage KSA7500 Universal 2nd Tier along with it for a number of years now, instead of my venerable Apex, and I've grown to really like the stability and ease of setup with the platform stand

Sorry- guess I'm overly active on this thread because recently had to do a deep dive upgrading my stands.  I'm a fan of the K&M for hit and run stuff.  But also have the KS7150 which I concur is great and super secure.      OnStage has a new lessor known 3 tier upgrade to that (too high) universal 2nd tier.  Bit more expensive, but super strong and much more adjustable.    All of their accessories  (mic stand etc.)  can be mounted to it. I showed it in this thread:    

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Back when I worked at a local music store, we got that V-Stand right after it came out--and one of the adjustment pins snapped on it, even with a Triton LE88.  We looked at each other and said we'd never order another one.

• Like 2

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

13 hours ago, obxa said:

Sorry- guess I'm overly active on this thread because recently had to do a deep dive upgrading my stands.  I'm a fan of the K&M for hit and run stuff.  But also have the KS7150 which I concur is great and super secure.      OnStage has a new lessor known 3 tier upgrade to that (too high) universal 2nd tier.  Bit more expensive, but super strong and much more adjustable.    All of their accessories  (mic stand etc.)  can be mounted to it. I showed it in this thread:    

Nice!  I highly recommend using some strong liquid thread lock on all of those thumb screws on the legs. Rattling around in the vehicle will loosen them without you ever noticing until it gets really loose. In fact, I use it on any piece of gear that has screws that can loosen, even rack screws. About $8 at Home Depot.

Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 0.20 fl. oz. Specialty Glue 209728 - The Home Depot

image.thumb.png.5ca8915b96c224dc90175c319641f251.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 12:35 PM, obxa said:

But also have the KS7150 which I concur is great and super secure.      OnStage has a new lessor known 3 tier upgrade to that (too high) universal 2nd tier.  Bit more expensive, but super strong and much more adjustable.    All of their accessories  (mic stand etc.)  can be mounted to it.

Do you happen to have that model number? I couldn't find it on Sweetwater or this page:

https://on-stage.com/products/search/catalog?search=tier

6 hours ago, Synthaholic said:

Do you happen to have that model number? I couldn't find it on Sweetwater or this page:

https://on-stage.com/products/search/catalog?search=tier

Yes- it's: https://on-stage.com/products/view/13522

Price has shot up a bit to around $140.00 but Full Compass has a return B-stock

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/619113-on-stage-ksa8500-restock-item-deluxe-keyboard-tier?dfw_tracker=36058-619113&gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_qgBhDFARIsABcDjOf6O1w0_l69yROvotraSEt7zXQmgZeodF5ILroyTDg77RofT2kIq6oaAu7qEALw_wcB

Ignore any reviews on Amazon, I  confirm 100% it fits & works with the  7150.   Please let me know if you need any more info. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thanks for all the advice guys, after much research I decided I needed to ditch the heavy/bulky X stand and get the smallest and lightest setup I could but one that could still take 30kg plus of board and provide sitting or standing options with space for pedals etc. And one that would be easy to set up....seemed a bit too much to ask...

So, I settled on the K&M 18880 and 18881 extensions. I believe the whole set up is less than 4kg yet capable of supporting up to 50kg and I know K&M make good stuff.

Got the lot with delivery for just over £130. Stand due any day, extensions on order but no rush.

Quick question. would like to get a cheap bag to keep these in for easy carrying/avoid scratches etc. Anyone know collapsed dimensions? they seem to be missing from the website; they just have minimum/maximum sizes that can be accomodated. Seems to be around 630Hx400D but I think the base is wider?

Thanks in advance.

image.png.c04d03d7368d8dd623ac28c477e3d33f.pngimage.png.cd7a307c4dc7c150bae0e62be9e086b6.png

Seems the best people to ask are K&M direct, awesome service.

I think a bag 600x1200x10 would be big enough to leave this set up with the extensions in place for a standing setup in seconds 🙂

image.thumb.png.2f49a5b37e5bf0b68ef4511144ba0297.png

I was at the 1986 summer NAMM show at McCormick Place, and USS was giving away an APEX a day for whoever could set it up and tear it down the fastest. I tried but was too slow.

~ vonnor

• Like 2

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

On 3/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, Paul Woodward said:

E65972EB-4ED3-49D9-9F81-12466BB2679F.jpeg

I've gigged with V-Stands for years (original VS80 and current VS88) - both as a bed for an 88 and my current Forte 7 / Kronos 2-61 rig in the Journey trib. I will say that the 2nd tier is a 100% fail on this stand, which is why I modified mine by cutting the metal just above the curve. This moves the top keyboard away from the player enough to still see the bottom keyboard screen, but may be too far away for someone with a short torso and/or arms. Also, I'm 6'1".

Stability has never been a problem for me, but I also don't generally pound too hard on my boards, I just turn up my IEM mix 🤣 I won't say that the stand is 100% solid, like a QuikLok WS at its lowest setting, or the Solid Stand in my studio, but the slight movement doesn't bother me much.

See attached pics of said rig with CP88 bottom / Kronos top and Forte bottom / Kronos top.

274888519_10162467498662524_3988217860371470562_n.jpg

289780976_10162717895727524_1286691859002954251_n.jpg

12719280_10205850728563479_8568728961556763479_o.jpg

274981010_10162467502217524_4392494769998805921_n.jpg

• Like 1

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

It sometimes take a while to find the right page, but ultimately I find that K&M's own website has very complete specs.

That has saved me a number of times on items that I have gone back and forth on, and helps de-obfuscate errors on web store sites.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

K&M 18880 stand arrived today and I thought the box was empty 😉 Seriously light but once set up I put my weight on it (and I am 100kg) but no flex at all so it will be fine with a stage piano.

Will give it a try with the band next week and the Korg Grandstage then with the YC61 on top when the extensions arrive. Im pretty happy with it though and 2.5kg? amazing.

53 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

It's a fan favourite at KC, that stand.

Cheers, Mike.

I can see why 🙂

Anyone know of a cheap alternative to this in the UK?

Ridiculous price but its about the right size (600x1000x150). Or can anyone think of another category of gig bag that would fit. its just to keep the 18880 stand and maybe a folding stool in. This is far too much just to carry a set of stands.

image.thumb.png.27612a8c1db15761afed796458e15061.png

Since I am the purveyor of stands, both factory and customized (by me), I just ordered that K&M 18800E and a 2nd tier

The raising and lowering is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

It'll be here Monday.    I'll have a thread about it at some point

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

27 minutes ago, EscapeRocks said:

Since I am the purveyor of stands, both factory and customized (by me), I just ordered that K&M 18800E and a 2nd tier

The raising and lowering is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

It'll be here Monday.    I'll have a thread about it at some point

I have had an electric desk in my little office for years. Only way I can get a piano in there and still work. Note. this video is before the room was furnished, its much tighter in there now 🙂

I imagine the stand you ordered works in the same way but with the Omega style frame rather than a large tabletop.

• Cool 1

K&M stands usually look "similar" to more common brands online, until you order one and wonder why you waited so long to spend that extra $15 to $25 on lifetime quality and robustness as well as superior ergonomics regarding adjustments. I've never needed their Apex-style stands, but I have several others, and of course they're my ONLY source for mic stands.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

17 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Anyone know of a cheap alternative to this in the UK?

Ridiculous price but its about the right size (600x1000x150). Or can anyone think of another category of gig bag that would fit. its just to keep the 18880 stand and maybe a folding stool in. This is far too much just to carry a set of stands.

Totally low rent and tacky:  when I was using an On-Stage double tier Z stand, I bought the largest canvas type laundry bag I could find on Amazon to tote it.  Which incidentally, I've now re-purposed for the K&M.   I think it was under $20.00  Drawstring top and tear-proof.  Bandmates always joke and ask where I'm planning on burying the body. 

I guess it'd be nice if it came in black.  Only use it on road gigs when my stuff is getting tossed in a trailer or bottom of a bus;  so don't really care what it looks like.  For local car gigs, I don't bother. 

Ironically- long after I retired the Z-stand,  I found it's On-Stage KSB-6500 carry bag super cheap.  It's turned out to be very gig-useful to carry weird shaped odds and ends that don't fit in my cable box.   Use it for my Gibraltar throne, Ipad & laptop stands, and mixer.   Plus top tier to my KS7150 when using that stand, or the actual 7150 when doing solo.

Might be something to consider if you need a utility bag.   https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStdBag--on-stage-stands-ksb-6500-bag-for-z-stand

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will look into this. So far I have found display board bags to be a good size, but they are getting to be almost as expensive as the K&M. Having measured the stand and a folding stool, that K&M is almost m perfect with some wiggle room so may have to keep an eye out for a used one if none of the others work out.