Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

? + MAG C1 Organ

ludo

I'm lusting for a MAG C1 organ as my top keyboard and looking for a 73 waterfall as a lower keyboard since i have already 88 weighted keys (Yamaha CP4) . What should i do: a Korg VOX Continental 73 (relative cheap ) or a Nordstage 4 compact (very expensive).

I mostly want to play some lefthand bas and Rhodes on the lower keyboard, i'm not so much interested in acoustic piano sound because of the CP4 i already own.

What you guys think ?

Thank you.

54 minutes ago, Delaware Dave said:

Mag organs are 6 months lead time (minimum, some a year) for delivery.  50% deposit is required.  I passed because of this.

The deposit is much less than 50%. 

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

1 hour ago, Mitch Towne said:

The deposit is much less than 50%. 

That was the quote from Max (i'm staring at the email now).  Perhaps it was a typo on his part but between that and the wait time I passed.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The Rhodes on the Vox are outstanding, you can do a split with bass for your left hand but the bass sounds are limited so it will depend what you want there

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

You don't need a Nord Stage.  I think the Vox has a great Rhodes, the Korg SV2 (or even an SV1 has a great Rhodes and a 73 key size but it's a hammer action, not waterfall), Nord Electro 73 size is waterfall '73 and a great gigging instrument, Nord Piano 5 73 is hammer action, Numa X 73 is hammer action but very portable, Kurzweil PC4-7 has decent semi weighted keys and portable and great Rhodes, too.  And the CP/YC 73s are hammer action as well.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Are they still offering the option to have a Neo Vent installed inside their models as an option for Leslie simulation?

Yes they are. There are many custom options for MAG Organs. 

• Like 1

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Hi Mitch...you seem to know about these MAG organs

From what I recall they are based 

on HX3 technology, correct? If that is the case then what did they ever do about the chorus vibrato issues?

I have been doing some work with Mc Intosh Audio ... who is the service center for HX3 in the states. I did hear an HX3.5 recently....  an I still had issues dialing it in because of the extensive edit screens etc. If the MAG is HX3 based how are they making it work out?

when I inquired with max about the C1 organ he told me that they have moved from 3.5 to 3.6; the FPGA offers much more 'room' for improvements.  I'm sure that the C/V has been improved as well as the internal leslie.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

4 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

when I inquired with max about the C1 organ he told me that they have moved from 3.5 to 3.6; the FPGA offers much more 'room' for improvements.  I'm sure that the C/V has been improved as well as the internal leslie.

Not true.

HX3.5 is the latest version, HX3.6 doesn´t exist at all.

I guess MAG moved from HX3.4 to HX3.5,- the 1st version where a Neo Vent isn´t urgently needed.

HX3.5 has the upgraded FPGA already and was advertised for enough headroom for future improvements already.

Anyway,- the wait time and deposit solution when ordering a MAG is also not my cup of tea.

I passed buying a J.B. Solaris because of that behaviour already.

In my age, when I want something, I want it NOW,- and I prefer to touch/play it before I buy.

:)

A.C.

Carsten Meyer (the HX3 Mastermind) posted yesterday on Facebook that the 3.6 Hardware boards are finished (new FPGA and ARM chip).....

I guess the firmware will need some time......

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

1 hour ago, M_G said:

Carsten Meyer (the HX3 Mastermind) posted yesterday on Facebook that the 3.6 Hardware boards are finished (new FPGA and ARM chip).....

I guess the firmware will need some time......

But no info on keyboardpartner website as also not in the forum.

So, it´s obviously not ready for the market and I don´t believe MAG is using it already.

Any info about improvements and new features ?

A.C.

2 hours ago, Al Coda said:

But no info on keyboardpartner website as also not in the forum.

So, it´s obviously not ready for the market and I don´t believe MAG is using it already.

Any info about improvements and new features ?

A.C.

I've been waiting on a MAG P2 and emailing back and forth with Max on this. The HX3.6 boards have been the current bottleneck in his production getting new MAGs out the door. Yesterday's announcement from Carsten is huge, he's been working on finishing the firmware for quite a while now. Max indicated that he should be getting the HX boards in shortly and will be using them in any new MAGs that he ships out (It sounds like the 3.5 boards are no longer available...)

I did hear an HX3.5 recently and I couldn't hear any discernable difference in the CV.... but I am super picky obviously. Except for the fact that both the Mojo and Key B stuff  has very usable C/V. 

Also had a  chance to play HX3.5 through a real leslie.... now that was impressive.

Its just that there are so many editing parameters on HX3 and I am not sure I am making things any better when I mess with them. Ditto for the Mojo but not as much. I can't screw up the CV on the Mojo like I can the HX3 .

Just curious what the advantage of MAG organ is... To me the Mojo is the one with the best keybed

9 minutes ago, LX888 said:

I did hear an HX3.5 recently and I couldn't hear any discernable difference in the CV.... but I am super picky obviously. Except for the fact that both the Mojo and Key B stuff  has very usable C/V. 

Also had a  chance to play HX3.5 through a real leslie.... now that was impressive.

Its just that there are so many editing parameters on HX3 and I am not sure I am making things any better when I mess with them. Ditto for the Mojo but not as much. I can't screw up the CV on the Mojo like I can the HX3 .

Just curious what the advantage of MAG organ is... To me the Mojo is the one with the best keybed

When listening to these internal Leslie sims on the clone devices it helps to have a pair of monitors or stereo amp like the space station or motion sound.  But comparing anything to a real Leslie amplifier is going to fall short to some extent.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

40 minutes ago, LX888 said:

The Mojo is almost perfect and so is the MAG but the MAG looks soooo much better...

Back to the original topic, as far as 73 note waterfall keyboards go....all I can really think of is the Nord Stage compact, the Nord Electro, the Hammond SK-Pro or SK1-73, and the Vox. Another option would be to go for the MAG C2 and opt for the additional sounds, but that would limit you to 61 keys, and I am not familiar with the quality of those additional sounds that MAG uses. It would be pretty convenient though to have have everything in one keyboard. In your case - I would probably opt for the Nord electro, maybe even an older model to save money knowing the Rhodes sounds will be the same in both older and newer models.

5 hours ago, LX888 said:

I ordered the MAG (specifically the P2) based off of the layout being the closest thing I had seen to a real Hammond organ. I was really looking for the closest thing that I could find to having a "Hammond" experience without having to haul my C3 out on stage. The MAG has all the drawbars and switches in the right spots so I can play it the same way I would play the real thing. I had heard from multiple sources that ordering a MAG with the lighter keybed was much closer to the Hammond feel, but I haven't played it yet to comment on it. Since I placed my order, Viscount has definitely been working on doing similar things with their organ line and they are definitely contenders also - but I'm happy with my P2 order, I like the customizations I was able to specify - specifically for use with my Leslie 122 - and I'm excited to eventually have it in my possession. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, synthdogg said:

Back to the original topic, as far as 73 note waterfall keyboards go....all I can really think of is the Nord Stage compact, the Nord Electro, the Hammond SK-Pro or SK1-73, and the Vox

There's also the Roland VR-730 and Dexibell Combo J7. I haven't played either of them, though.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

9 hours ago, synthdogg said:

Back to the original topic, as far as 73 note waterfall keyboards go....all I can really think of is the Nord Stage compact, the Nord Electro, the Hammond SK-Pro or SK1-73, and the Vox. Another option would be to go for the MAG C2 and opt for the additional sounds, but that would limit you to 61 keys, and I am not familiar with the quality of those additional sounds that MAG uses. It would be pretty convenient though to have have everything in one keyboard. In your case - I would probably opt for the Nord electro, maybe even an older model to save money knowing the Rhodes sounds will be the same in both older and newer models.

I'm not a double manual organ player and if i could midi out the lower manual to another soundmodule or software (keyscape, trillian,etc...) i would definitely opt for the MAG C2 since i like to play lefthand bas (basguitar, synthbas) en Rhodes, Electric piano's right handed.

So yes i'd love to have it all in 1 package if possible.

Again, for me those MAGs look stunning.