Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two-tier Spider Baby stand?

Has anybody tried a Spider Baby stand with a second tier (sitting playing position)?

I am not clear how much overlap there would be with the lower shelf  as the lower keyboard has panel buttons that need to be accessible.

I also see that for the bigger Spider Pro there seem to be angled tiers. Would they also work for the Baby?

Thanks for any pointer (or photo!).

Yes, the arms between the Spider Pro and the Baby are interchangeable. Regarding spacings, It's no different really to having the full length Spider. You extend the arms out towards you if want to bring the lower board out from under the top, and you can get them pretty close together. The only disadvantage to the Baby Spider Pro is that there's nowhere for the 2nd tier to fold to when you pack it away, unlike with the Spider Pro which is long enough to accomodate both sets of arms.

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I would think that's a pretty big deal (no place for the arms).  If I couldn't tuck away the arms on my spider pro that would make it much harder to carry and transport.  It's the main reason I discarded the idea of a 3rd tier when I was thinking of it--that, and I'm tall and stand so the bottom tier would have been too low.

Iirc you have to take the top off (five screws) before you can slide the arms off.  I can see why they did it, but it limits the flexibility of the stand.  Not sure if the Baby spider is the same.  I suppose some handy person could come up with a quick-connect way to attach the top :)    You might not even need the top, though I use the mic boom attachment and so need the top on there--and in fact had to beef up that mic attachment (I read they improved it in later editions).

I don't really like the angled tier but you can purchase either type.   I always recommend Thomann for K&M, very good prices for the US even with shipping :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I would think that's a pretty big deal (no place for the arms).  If I couldn't tuck away the arms on my spider pro that would make it much harder to carry and transport.  It's the main reason I discarded the idea of a 3rd tier when I was thinking of it--that, and I'm tall and stand so the bottom tier would have been too low.

Iirc you have to take the top off (five screws) before you can slide the arms off.  I can see why they did it, but it limits the flexibility of the stand.  Not sure if the Baby spider is the same.  I suppose some handy person could come up with a quick-connect way to attach the top :)    You might not even need the top, though I use the mic boom attachment and so need the top on there--and in fact had to beef up that mic attachment (I read they improved it in later editions).

I don't really like the angled tier but you can purchase either type.   I always recommend Thomann for K&M, very good prices for the US even with shipping :) 

Yeah it's definitely something K&M should look at. I'm thinking of switching to a seated position on stage, and having to unthread the arms would be doable but a bit of a faff. They surely could make a way of securing both tiers to the column when packed away. And yes, a quick release top to the column would be a good invention. They're quite approachable at K&M, and would probably take on board these suggestions for future products. 

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I have used my baby spider with two sets of arms for many years. It works just fine for sitting and standing as I am only 5‘5“ tall. With the second set of arms installed, it means that the arms don’t fold completely into the slots, but the stand can still be collapsed and fit into a carry bag. I’ve done it for years. 

• Like 2

I had the Baby Spider with two sets of arms.  I would take the top set of arms off and load them into a carry tube along with my boom attachment and put it in the case (I did use an after market lighting equipment case, the original case was too flimsy).  Great system, but just got too heavy for me, now I use the K&M 18880 and 18881, weighs less than 8 pounds!  The Baby was close to 20 with the attachments-

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Another couple of thoughts - I use the "flat" not angled arms on both tiers. Not sure one set of angled would be wise given the vertical play between top and bottom. 

And as DJKeys above notes, forget about the K&M carry bag - flimsy and useless. I had a carry bag made of heavier material, and large enough to handle the stand with both arms (that won't totally retract into the pillar). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, timwat said:

Another couple of thoughts - I use the "flat" not angled arms on both tiers. Not sure one set of angled would be wise given the vertical play between top and bottom. 

And as DJKeys above notes, forget about the K&M carry bag - flimsy and useless. I had a carry bag made of heavier material, and large enough to handle the stand with both arms (that won't totally retract into the pillar). 

Yes agree about the K&M bag. Very poorly made. Instead I use an Onstage Speaker stand bag, which is padded and easy to load in and out of. They’re widely available in the US but seem to have become difficult to get hold of in the UK.

• Like 1

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

20 hours ago, timwat said:

I bought a generic lighting equipment bag that was sturdy and padded.  It lasted 7 years until I sold the Baby Spider.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

• 10 months later...

So I have the Baby Spider Pro, looking to add a second tier...does anybody have a pic of theirs with second tier? I want to see how bad the "folding issue" is...maybe i can DIY some sort of strap to tie it up when folding it. How much larger is the Spider Pro than the Baby Spider? Also, maybe i can DIY and cut the  second arm down to size a little to fit in when folded? I only need it to fit a DJ controller, not a full sized keyboard.

I have a Baby Spider Pro with 2nd tier and have been gigging it for 7 or 8 years, average 3-4 gigs a month with rehearsals scattered in there as well.

I don't have pictures at present but will try to take some later this week and post them up here.

Essentially, I slide the bottom tier all the way to the bottom of the track. Then slide the top tier down to the point that just 1" or so of the top tier's arms are above the top of the column. 

The bad: This means you have to keep the track facing up or the legs will fold down on their own. Obviously, neither pair of arms (top or bottom) retract entirely into the column like when you're only using one set of arms.

The good: The whole thing fits into the Studio Slips gig bag I custom ordered years ago. I find it no more inconvenient in normal gig schlep. 

For your use, I'm not really sure where you would cut to make the overall arms shorter. maybe pull the "expanding" end of the arm off entirely, since you only need the length for a DJ controller? Not sure how much depth you need.

As you may already know the K&M bag they sell for the Baby Spider Pro is worse than useless. It's poorly made, the material is cr*p, and the carrying handles are way too long and very cheap. When I first purchased the stand I ordered the bag, and it shredded on me in a few months. That's when I ordered the Studio Slips bag and it's been aces ever since...and that's several years ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DJFisch said:

So I have the Baby Spider Pro, looking to add a second tier...does anybody have a pic of theirs with second tier? I want to see how bad the "folding issue" is...maybe i can DIY some sort of strap to tie it up when folding it. How much larger is the Spider Pro than the Baby Spider? Also, maybe i can DIY and cut the  second arm down to size a little to fit in when folded? I only need it to fit a DJ controller, not a full sized keyboard.

I just removed the extensions from the top arms (upper board was not wide) and took the arms off completely when I stored the stand it the case.  Then I slid the sleeve down to secure the bottom arms and locked it.  The two top arms take up very little room in the case when removed.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

22 hours ago, timwat said:

As you may already know the K&M bag they sell for the Baby Spider Pro is worse than useless. It's poorly made, the material is cr*p, and the carrying handles are way too long and very cheap. When I first purchased the stand I ordered the bag, and it shredded on me in a few months. That's when I ordered the Studio Slips bag and it's been aces ever since...and that's several years ago.

Thanks! The whole first part of your post was great and insightful, but THIS....HOW DID I NEVER KNOW ABOUT STUDIO SLIPS??? I've always wanted to create custom gig bags for my specific uses. Game changer. Gonna look into it. Thanks!

Nope…couldn’t do that. Besides my precious 2 tier “Invisible Stand” from the 1980’s (KX-88 on the bottom, D50 on top). This is the next best thing - 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/122KS--standtastic-122ks-two-tier-keyboard-stand

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2