Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Trivia anyone?

bill5

Anyone interested in random trivia, either as just a "here's something I found interesting" or to pose the question as a challenge or see who guesses best (no cheating by looking it up :) )? 

For ex. here's one I just found out which might interest only me but wth: the weasel (aka the "Least Weasel") is the smallest carnivore on Earth, scarcely longer than a dollar bill. It also has, pound for pound, the strongest bite. 

8 hours ago, bill5 said:

the weasel (aka the "Least Weasel") is the smallest carnivore on Earth, scarcely longer than a dollar bill. It also has, pound for pound, the strongest bite. 

This reminds me of a couple of women I've meet in my life... :D

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, bill5 said:

Anyone interested in random trivia, either as just a "here's something I found interesting" or to pose the question as a challenge or see who guesses best (no cheating by looking it up :) )? 

For ex. here's one I just found out which might interest only me but wth: the weasel (aka the "Least Weasel") is the smallest carnivore on Earth, scarcely longer than a dollar bill. It also has, pound for pound, the strongest bite. 

There are tiny shrews that are omnivorous but primarily eat critters (bugs are meat too!!!). 

Both shrews and weasels vary in size. No solid info online about this obscure topic. 

Meanwhile, the Tarheels cut down all the turpentine pines back east and moved to central Skagit county in Washington where they founded 2 small towns - Sedro and Wooley. The two towns grew together into Sedro Wooley. Some of them liked eating the Virginia Opossum so they brought some along and let them go. 

Which is why we now have a range of the Virginia Opossum up into British Columbia and down into Oregon. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

56 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

There are tiny shrews that are omnivorous but primarily eat critters (bugs are meat too!!!). 

Both shrews and weasels vary in size. No solid info online about this obscure topic. 

Okay, here are some interesting facts about shrews:

• Shrews are one of the most voracious mammals on earth and have the fastest metabolic rate of all known animals.
  • Shrews are one of the world’s most ancient predators and have been around for more than 65 million years.
  • Shrews are not rodents, but insectivores, which means they mainly eat insects and other invertebrates.
  • Some shrews have venomous saliva that can paralyze or kill their prey.
  • Shrews are very territorial and aggressive and will fight with other shrews or even larger animals if threatened.
  • Haha 1

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

How about...

Q:   "The best ballad ever written" according to Peter Frampton?

A:  "Whiter Share of Pale" by Procol Harum

Per Rick Beato in an interview he did with Frampton.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

57 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Just read that a day on Venus is longer than a Venus year. Weird or what? 

Yep... revolution is shorter than the rotation.    For the moon, it's the same, which is the reason why we only see one side - and the term 'dark side of the moon' is often miscontrued since dark means 'not visible to us', and not that it's always dark. 

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

6 hours ago, TommyRude said:

• Shrews are one of the most voracious mammals on earth and have the fastest metabolic rate of all known animals.
  • Shrews are one of the world’s most ancient predators and have been around for more than 65 million years.
  • Shrews are not rodents, but insectivores, which means they mainly eat insects and other invertebrates.
  • Shrews are very territorial and aggressive and will fight with other shrews or even larger animals if threatened.

I grew up in an immediate family with two shrews and an aunt and grandmother who were the shrews of all shrews.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Right but what about least weasels, which vary considerably in size and are often much larger than shrews but not always. 

Everybody loves shrews, lots of great info about them. Friendly little buggers too... 😂

2 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

They recently monitored a bird (a bar-tailed godwit) who flew from Alaska to Tasmania (8425 miles) non-stop in 11 days setting a world record October . HERE

Not carrying coconuts, apparently. So unimpressed.

There is a seagull-like bird known as a fulmar. They store a pouch of triglycerides and waxy oil which they can spit at an enemy if threatened. Reportedly, it has a horrific stench so unbridled, you'll beg for death if it gets on you. I ❤️ NATURE! 

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

51 minutes ago, o0Ampy0o said:

I grew up in an immediate family with two shrews and an aunt and grandmother who were the shrews of all shrews.

I had an aunt who was so puckered at both ends, it sounded like someone was making a balloon animal when she walked by. Gin was her cologne.

In a big Foghorn Leghorn voice, I once said "When you enter th' room, I loooong, I say I loooong for death!"

Being humorless, she said "That's a terrible thing to say!"

I said "You should hear what I'm holding back. Its about to melt my damned zipper!" 🤭

• Haha 1

~ Groucho Marx    

3 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Right but what about least weasels, which vary considerably in size and are often much larger than shrews but not always. 

Everybody loves shrews, lots of great info about them. Friendly little buggers too... 😂

Sure, I can help you with that. The least weasel is the smallest member of the weasel family and can vary in size depending on its subspecies and location. The average length of a least weasel is 114-260 mm and the average weight is 29-250g. Some least weasels may be larger than shrews, which are small insectivorous mammals that range from 30 to 160 mm in length. However, some shrews may be larger than some least weasels. For example, the giant otter shrew can grow up to 420 mm long.

Would you like to know more?

• Haha 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Just now, TommyRude said:

Sure, I can help you with that. The least weasel is the smallest member of the weasel family and can vary in size depending on its subspecies and location. The average length of a least weasel is 114-260 mm and the average weight is 29-250g. Some least weasels may be larger than shrews, which are small insectivorous mammals that range from 30 to 160 mm in length. However, some shrews may be larger than some least weasels. For example, the giant otter shrew can grow up to 420 mm long.

Would you like to know more?

Absolutely splendid, thank you!

Not gonna have either of those critters hanging out around here, just sayin'. 🙂

18 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Absolutely splendid, thank you!

Not gonna have either of those critters hanging out around here, just sayin'. 🙂

hey Kuru, people may have different opinions about least weasels. Some may admire their agility and adaptability, while others may dislike their voraciousness and invasiveness. Some may find them cute and fascinating, while others may find them annoying and destructive.

According to a recent study by scientists in Georgia, North Carolina, and New Mexico, the number of least weasels harvested annually by trappers has declined by 87-94 percent over the past 60 years. This suggests that either least weasels have become less abundant or less desirable as a source of fur.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

1 hour ago, TommyRude said:

hey Kuru, people may have different opinions about least weasels. Some may admire their agility and adaptability, while others may dislike their voraciousness and invasiveness. Some may find them cute and fascinating, while others may find them annoying and destructive.

According to a recent study by scientists in Georgia, North Carolina, and New Mexico, the number of least weasels harvested annually by trappers has declined by 87-94 percent over the past 60 years. This suggests that either least weasels have become less abundant or less desirable as a source of fur.

For me, it's more about not wanting the responsibility of owning pets (or, pets owning you!). 

I've had dogs and cats, I loved them and took care of them. At this point, I'd rather be pals with other people's critters. 

One's desire for pets can wax and wane, since the physical upkeep and emotional elements call for commitment. If you've had a dog for 10 years and one day, you wake to discover that they assumed room temperature overnight, you don't tend to jump right back into the pool. The dough takes time to rise on the idea. Some people get their fill and that switch never flips again. Its an interesting thing to observe.

I like to think I'm doing okay because most animals take to me pretty easily. I see it as a badge of pride, since animals have no real artifice. They'll MESS with you, but that's a different thread.

I had a friend who owned 2 ferrets and a lab rat. I found them to be companionable, as many animals are when treated well. However, he threw a glass of lemonade on me when I reminded him of how people tend to choose pets who look like them. 🐀 :D

• Like 1

~ Groucho Marx    

It's a sad day when weasels win out over the BEST DAMN HAMMOND ORGAN BALLAD EVER WRITTEN.

Not that I'm opinionated, or anything... 😉

(Likely just fed up from a rough day at work..........  Don't take this rant TOO seriously.......)

Old No7

• Haha 2

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

We did get a bit far off on the weasels lol

How about a musical one: what was the number one Billboad hit in 1969?  (Hint: not a Beatles tune. In fact, surprisingly, the Beatles didn't have a hit in the top 20 that year)

1. Did you know ants are mathematical? I asked a few people I considered intelligent. They said ants utilize pheromones to find their way home. I was thinking along those lines. That is a bug thing. However scientists have demonstrated otherwise. Altering their legs the ants with shortened legs stopped short of home. Ants with lengthened legs overshot home. They count the steps out and back.

2. Anyone here open to paranormal experiences?

Probably everyone has some familiarity with the concept of telepathy. There are variants I did not know existed until a few years ago. There are telepaths. There are empaths. There are tele-empaths. I am tele-empathic. Within this context there is something called a "door" which is the opening you are particularly sensitive to. In my case it is sexual. Chances are the tele-empathy I experience is going to involve someone unable to keep their sexual interest hidden.

I am typically in some public place minding my own business when I soak it up like a sponge. You just go about your life and someone you are not aware of calls attention to themselves before you know they exist. Initially I may mistake a feeling as my own but in split seconds I go from being blindly drawn to locate the source to comprehending what is taking place. Many times it ends with me looking blankly at someone as things come into focus and they quickly shut down and get embarrassed. They have no idea what I am sensing but they feel exposed.

Generally, I have been able to hear people thinking or feel what they are feeling since I was in my teens. I probably did it all my life but that is when I became conscious of it. Most people think they keep their guard up. Just about no one in the Western World really believes anyone can hear them thinking. They are secure in that belief. Mix in sexual attraction, they are caught up and it slips out before they realize. The nature of telepathy and empathy is that they are so pure and close to you that they can feel like your own and at first it is hard to discern between you and something outside you. I have mistaken sexual excitement seemingly out of nowhere for my own.  It takes practice or close scrutiny to discover the clues indicating the differences. It always takes time to get from unconscious to aware.

By empathy I am referring to a less common definition. Think of it as the feeling form of telepathy. Where telepathy is more of a mental comprehension of someone's thoughts empathy is feeling their thoughts. Both are the essence of thought or feelings not the words of thought or feelings. We use words to represent thoughts and feelings in order to describe them to ourselves and others but the words are poor substitutes for the essence we are attempting to convey. Sometimes I get words but more times I pick up on the essence and just understand without words.

We age gradually. You may contemplate it but you really do not have the opportunity to fully comprehend what the stark difference 30 years feels like. I met this woman half my age. We immediately connected like old soulful friends. She happens to be very capable with tele-empathy, the best I have ever experienced. One day she turned to me and opened up as though she was inviting me inside her. You would (I did) expect limitation but it felt limitless. That was not the biggest surprise. She is exceptionally youthful. Her youth hit me like a blast of energy. For a moment I felt her youth as though I was her age. In my wildest dreams I never imagined that feeling someone's youth as though you instantly reverted 30 years would be possible and so shocking.