Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music you just discovered?

Whether it is 10 years old or 60, what music have you recently discovered that you missed when it came out?

I watched the Pitch Perfect movies and caught up on a lot of 90's music that I missed when I quit music and got a degree, and then a day job.  Anyway, there is a scene in the movie where they are working in the campus radio station racking CD's and albums when the guy starts flirting with the girl by holding albums up in front of his face with different expressions. I recognized Ted Nugent and Adam Lambert, but one album had a big eyeball on it and a name I did not recognize. I finally got around to looking it up and downloading it from my Apple Music subscription. The band is Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the song I really like is Zero. This is what I expected 80's new wave to evolve to but I thought it just went away. Makes me wonder what else I have missed out on.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have recently been discovering albums of artists I/my friends were into long ago but for some reason didn't buy or get into and it makes me wonder why...we liked this person or group and the album(s) we got, why didn't we get others? In any event, now I'm glad because it's like hidden treasure found (granted with mixed results). 

• Like 1

I don't like the studio versions of their tunes quite as much, but this is one of the most fun concert vids I've ever seen.  I got turned on to this group and then Dirty Loops when the guitarist featured here (Cory Wong) was on a DL song.  

This is the kind of show that would get me out to a concert.  No tracks, just great musicians having a blast.  (Kudos to the one-camera shot for the whole show!)

This is a bonkers Dirty Loops tune.  Give it some time, they bring in a number of genres :)   I don't buy that this is "live" without fixits and overdubs, but these guys are monster musicians.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMD said:

Someone recently introduced me to The Birthday Massacre. I was quite impressed 

So...this is how we find out about music these days, word of mouth. They've been around since 1999, still together, and well worth a listen - here's a video from 12 years ago.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:48 PM, Anderton said:

So...this is how we find out about music these days, word of mouth.

As someone living in the hills of SE Kentucky and loving electronic music, that's about all I've got. I discovered that KVR was the best place to give examples of what I like and get recommendations. Then I would order the CD's on Amazon without ever hearing them. The alternative was to buy electronic music compilations, then buy CD's of individual artists that I liked on the compilation. That is how I discovered BT. Now things are great. I can download most suggestions on Apple Music. Anything else I will check out on YouTube.

Lhasa de Sela. Heard her first watching some TV show called "I love Dick" which I had no intention of watching and turned out to be not bad. She's been dead for awhile now but I like the mexicano vibe she pulls off. Not bad for a Canuck.

These days I find most new music in a similar fashion to combing the bargain bin at Tower Records in mah yout...I flip through "related artist" links on Amazon Prime Music patiently waiting to hear someone whose album doesn't open up with a mawkish cover, ambient acoustic guitar, or waifish voices singing twee adventures.

I like the Birthday massacre vid. Reminds me of a cross between Rammstein and the East Bay music scene in the early 90's.

• Love 1

I discovered this somewhat recently when someone else from this forum posted it.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, Anderton said:

So...this is how we find out about music these days, word of mouth.

It's always been this way, and it's usually been the best way.

3 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

It's always been this way, and it's usually been the best way.

[puts on old man voice] Actually, it wasn't always this way...I've bought many records because of what was playing at Tower Records when I walked in ("hey, what was that?"). When I was a kid growing up in Europe, you could go into a listening booth and listen to whatever records you wanted, to see if you wanted to buy them. And even at the Saturn shops in Germany around the turn of the century, I'd spend an hour listening to various CDs if the title or artist looked interesting (they didn't mind, because I ended up buying quite a few, LOL). Radio stations played music I hadn't heard. There were record reviews (you aren't old enough to remember, but once there was a communications medium based around dead trees called "magazines" :) ). Word of mouth was a factor, but I'd venture to say I probably bought more records I stumbled on via one way or another than from word of mouth.

However, I will say that recommendations on MPN carry a lot of weight with me. They've already been filtered by people with a similar mindset.

Speaking of listening to records in listening booths, that's kind of where I got started. I'm not too embarrassed to say the first record I ever bought was a four-song 7" EP by Cliff Richards, at the Grand Passage department store in Geneva :)  Money well spent! It made me want to get into rock and roll.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 7:09 PM, Anderton said:

[puts on old man voice] Actually, it wasn't always this way...I've bought many records because of what was playing at Tower Records when I walked in ("hey, what was that?"). When I was a kid growing up in Europe, you could go into a listening booth and listen to whatever records you wanted, to see if you wanted to buy them. And even at the Saturn shops in Germany around the turn of the century, I'd spend an hour listening to various CDs if the title or artist looked interesting (they didn't mind, because I ended up buying quite a few, LOL). Radio stations played music I hadn't heard. There were record reviews (you aren't old enough to remember, but once there was a communications medium based around dead trees called "magazines" :) ). Word of mouth was a factor, but I'd venture to say I probably bought more records I stumbled on via one way or another than from word of mouth.

Okay, perhaps I had a different experience. But when I went into the record store, I knew the people working behind the counter. And they played something because they loved it.

When I was growing up, the kids around the neighborhood and I would hang out and listen to records.

I was friends with the DJs at KXLU, who would regularly turn me on to stuff. 

Musicians I played with turned me on to stuff.

I would go to a party with tons of friends, and people would be playing cool music. And then since many of my friends were musicians, they turned me on to stuff.

I would go to a club with bands playing, and someone would tell me about bands.

I would go traveling and befriend people. They would tell me about some cool stuff.

Sure, I read magazines, listened to the radio (without knowing the DJs), checked out music at music stores, and all that. That was a big part of it too. But so many of my favorite finds were because someone told me about music they thought I would like.

But maybe this was abnormal from other people, I don't know. But word of mouth has been a thing ever since I can remember.

50 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I've been listening to Filipino and Portuguese music for past few years.

Any recommendations? I'm always interested in checking out music I haven't heard before.

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

I think maybe the difference is that you're a much more sociable person than I am :)  

Haha! I exist in many different worlds.

20 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Any recommendations? I'm always interested in checking out music I haven't heard before.

Same. I don't know very much Filipino and Portuguese, especially the former. 

I recently discovered Proto-Kaw Kerry Livgren's band before he joined Kansas. I think this band would have succeeded if they had stayed together. The have a very good singer and a sax/flute player. They evoke a bit of King Crimson or Tull at times. Kerry reformed the band after leaving Kansas and the later version is still very good.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

2 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Haha! I exist in many different worlds.

Same. I don't know very much Filipino and Portuguese, especially the former. 

I can't help you a lot, I'm not familiar with any the artists. Portuguese music is fairly easy simple search Fado music and will find a number of good YouTube videos. It's guitar centric, Portuguese guitar and acoustic guitar. Filipino you have work a little harder. Modern Filipino music is really American pop styles in a different language. Search traditional Filipino music or, my favorite, kundiman Filipino music. Acoustic guitar and vocal 

Jennifer S.

58 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

I recently discovered Proto-Kaw Kerry Livgren's band before he joined Kansas. I think this band would have succeeded if they had stayed together. The have a very good singer and a sax/flute player. They evoke a bit of King Crimson or Tull at times. Kerry reformed the band after leaving Kansas and the later version is still very good.

I have never before seen someone get credit for playing a ring modulator.

• Like 1

I recently got into listening to the progressive rock band Renaissance. They're a progressive rock band with folksy elements--lead singer Annie Haslam is a classically trained soprano with a five octave vocal range, and the band has some great musicians in keyboardist John Tout, bassist Jon Camp, guitarist Michael Dunford and drummer Terry Sullivan. They might appeal to fans of Jethro Tull or Yes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Put together a playlist of tunes for a gig and this artist popped up in the “suggested songs to add” portion. She’s a Swedish R&B artist, very much in the vein of contemporary American & British R&B.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

23 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

I recently got into listening to the progressive rock band Renaissance. They're a progressive rock band with folksy elements--lead singer Annie Haslam is a classically trained soprano with a five octave vocal range, and the band has some great musicians in keyboardist John Tout, bassist Jon Camp, guitarist Michael Dunford and drummer Terry Sullivan. They might appeal to fans of Jethro Tull or Yes.

I’ve been a huge Renaissance fan for years.  My favorite tune of theirs is Mother Russia, from the Turn Of The Cards record.  Deep props for the Scheherazade record as well, especially the title track, which tastes up the whole second side of the LP

Their Live at Carnegie Hall record includes Scheherazade and Mother Russia - recorded with an orchestra (!) along with the epic Ashes Are Burning.

Song For All Seasons is also pretty great - it has their other “big hit” besides Carpet of the Sun, a tune called Northern Lights.  The title track and Day of the Dreamer are also fabulous.

dB

• Like 2
  • Love 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

23 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Nobody has a five octave vocal range

• Like 1

The original Renaissance band was formed in 1969 by former Yardbirds vocalist Keith Relf and drummer Jim McCarty. Former Nashville Teens pianist John Hawken , former The Herd bassist Louis Cennamo, and Keith's sister Jane were the other founding members. This line-up started changing in 1970 until no original members remained and the band went on to greater success with Annie Haslam on vocals and John Tout on keyboards. The surviving founding members of Renaissance did get back together from 1977-1979 and 2001 under the name Illusion. 

The original Renaissance live on German TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrSCU_3hK34

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

This site puts Annie Haslam's recorded range at E3 to G6, which would give her 4 notes that she could hit in 4 octaves. Beyond that is Happy Rhodes, who the same site cites having a recorded range of G#2 to D6, giving her 7 notes that she can hit in 4 octaves. That  doesn't mean that's the entirety of their range, but is the extent of their range that can be heard in their recordings (and maybe the portion of their range that is most "musical").

As it happens, I can hit 10 notes in 4 octaves... but my voice kinds sucks in all octaves.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Speaking of octave ranges, the craziest I've heard and seen is Dimash....his music is not really my cup of tea but I've watched some of his live performances whenever I need my jaw to drop...from low baritone to a super high "whistle" range that is ridiculously high, and really smooth control between the ranges (chest, head, falsetto etc).  He's a mutant.

On 3/11/2023 at 1:49 PM, Shamanzarek said:

I grew up with those guys. Literally lived in Manhattan, Kansas from 68 to 73.  I saw every version of them live dozens of times.  Kerry's cousin went to school with me.  I was surprised when I saw a Kansas album in the record store when I was in college.  Thought someone else had stolen their name.  Kerry showed me a few things on guitar.  Got to sneak backstage a lot.  Was even more surprised how big they got.