Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best speakers for electric guitar?

Thomas02

Hello everyone. I am glad to have become a member of this forum. I'm still a beginner and know little about guitars and speakers, but I would like to learn to play the guitar. I'm considering buying speakers, but I need your recommendation. What speaker should I buy, and what size speaker is best for an electric guitar?

• Like 3

Hard to say.  A huge number of variables.  

An example:  I was a fan of EVM-12Ls in my Blackface Fenders. My 1980s road rig was two Bandit 65s in stereo. I put EVM-12Ls in the Bandits and they sounded like ass. and of course weighed a ton.  

You do not want EVM 12Ls. They are extremely articulate and expensive. It was just an example. 

• Like 2

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

3 hours ago, Thomas02 said:

Hello everyone. I am glad to have become a member of this forum. I'm still a beginner and know little about guitars and speakers, but I would like to learn to play the guitar. I'm considering buying speakers, but I need your recommendation. What speaker should I buy, and what size speaker is best for an electric guitar?

Welcome to the forum Thomas02.

Are you buying an amp or are you considering replacing speakers in an amp you already own?

First if you are new I wouldn't worry about speakers for a while. If your first amp is a practice or a beginner amp I wouldn't bother changing the speaker, you will out grow it and it isn't worth the cost. When get to an amp you are going to keep don't be to fast to change speakers. Speakers take time to break in and you may find you like that speaker just fine and it isn't worth spending 150 to 200 or more on a speaker. My Fender Super Sonic 22 has a 50 watt Fender speaker made by Emmince, I believe it is a clone of their 50 watt Legend. It works just fine for me. Don't watch the dozens of YouTube videos declaring you should only use abc speaker with xyz amp. Don't get caught up in the alnico vs ceramic debate. The most important thing is find a speaker the you like. Take your time and make the best choice for you.

Once again welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jennifer S.

I've not found an 8" speaker for guitar that I really liked, doesn't mean there aren't any. 

I do like the Peavey Scorpion 10" speaker, as far as I know they don't make it anymore but used examples are available. My favorite 10"

There are LOTS of great 12" guitar speakers but which one you prefer depends on everything else in your signal chain AND what sounds you like. 

Take your time, meet local guitarist and find out what they are doing. Asking here is not a bad idea but it's difficult to describe some sounds or to say that Speaker A sounds great with all amplifiers. Welcome aboard!!!

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Welcome aboard Thomas02.  I would buy an amp that already has a speaker before I would buy a speaker without an amp.  Try to find an amp that sounds good with the guitar you have chosen (hoping you already have a guitar).  I like a 12" speaker for some reason LoL!  Good luck and good hunting! 😎👍

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

Lots of variables in speaker selection. I use hemp cone speakers in both of my guitar amplifiers. I also have an old EVM 12 L that I bought about 38 years ago with my First Mesa Boogie Mark 2C+.

I use Eminence hemp cone speakers in my  current guitar amps. The hemp cone speakers mitigate the very high frequencies and enhance the deeper tones. The hemp cone also mitigate the harsh pick attack. I have an Egnater Tweaker amp (15 watt Head) and I put it thorough a 50 watt  12" Eminence Cannabis Rex Hemp Cone speaker and a 200 watt EVM 12L, which gives me both the deep tones and the sparkling highs and the mix of the two is excellent. I place the hemp cone cab on top and the EVM 12 L cab under the hemp cone.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, desertbluesman said:

Lots of variables in speaker selection. I use hemp cone speakers in both of my guitar amplifiers. I also have an old EVM 12 L that I bought about 38 years ago with my First Mesa Boogie Mark 2C+.

I use Eminence hemp cone speakers in my  current guitar amps. The hemp cone speakers mitigate the very high frequencies and enhance the deeper tones. The hemp cone also mitigate the harsh pick attack. I have an Egnater Tweaker amp (15 watt Head) and I put it thorough a 50 watt  12" Eminence Cannabis Rex Hemp Cone speaker and a 200 watt EVM 12L, which gives me both the deep tones and the sparkling highs and the mix of the two is excellent. I place the hemp cone cab on top and the EVM 12 L cab under the hemp cone.

If I ever play another Tele/County gig where I could do the classic Pete Anderson higher headroom loud Tele/Esquire thing I would pull the Celestion and try a Hemp Dog in my 50 watt 112 Boogie.  

• Like 3

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 5 months later...

Welcome to the forum! It's great to hear you're diving into the world of guitar playing. For amplification, if you're just starting, a practice amp with around 10-20 watts is perfect. Brands like Fender, Roland, and Yamaha offer good options. A 10-inch speaker size is common for practice amps, providing a balanced sound. As you progress, you can explore bigger amps for larger venues. Remember, it's more about practice than the size of the speaker. Enjoy your guitar journey!

• Like 3

On 2/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, Thomas02 said:

Welcome, Thomas02! To better answer your question, let me ask you a few questions:

What amp are you using?

What guitar?

What styles of music do you want to play, and sound like?

Are you going to be playing a lot of clean tones, or overdriven and distorted tones? Or both, back and forth?

Are you going to be playing mostly at home and/or in small, relatively quiet places at low to medium volume levels?

Or, do you want to be able to play with a band, practicing and jamming, maybe even small gigs?

Speakers can and do make a HUGE difference in sound, tone, feel, and performance. They probably make a greater difference than swapping any other component in an electric guitar chain- from strings and pickups, similar pedals, to amps and tubes...  If you change speakers, it can change your sound quite a bit, depending on what you started with and what you switched to.

When using two or more speakers at the same time (2x12 combo amps, 2x12 and 4x12 cabinets, etc.), sometimes combining different speakers in the same cabinet can have fantastic results! I have one 2x12 cab with two different types of Celestion speakers in it, for example...

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On 2/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, Larryz said:

Welcome aboard Thomas02.  I would buy an amp that already has a speaker before I would buy a speaker without an amp.  Try to find an amp that sounds good with the guitar you have chosen (hoping you already have a guitar).  I like a 12" speaker for some reason LoL!  Good luck and good hunting! 😎👍

You are correct, Sir! Quite correct!

6cjNXDB.jpg

On 2/27/2023 at 5:42 PM, Sharkman said:

After reading the original message a couple of times. I'm wondering if Thomas02 means amplifier when he says the word speaker?  That would change EVERYTHING!

You might be right...

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

+1 I think the OP was looking for comments on different size speakers that come in different amplifiers.  Usually, beginners are not into swapping out speakers.  There was some good speaker info on this thread though...:cool:

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

Celestion, Eminence, Jensen, and others offer a variety of speaker models, each with its own sonic characteristics. It's a good idea to research the specific models that match your desired tone.

Since you're a beginner, you might want to start with a relatively affordable and versatile option. A common choice is a 1x12 combo amp, which has a built-in 12-inch speaker. This setup offers a good balance of portability, power, and tone for practice and even small gigs.

• Like 1