Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talk me out of getting a Nord Stage 3 Compact...

I did a brightened-up version of the image from nordstage4.com 

- Hybrid LED drawbars even on the 88-key model

- no more "Panels A/B" — each engine has its own fader and on/off switch with volume LED chain. 

- 2 organs

- 2 pianos

- 3 synths

- master on/off switches for all organs/all pianos/all synths

- Still fixed split points. 

Nord_Stage_4_teaser.jpeg

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Yeah, but that’s A LOT more split points!

anyway, this question just got A LOT more complicated for me, as physics drawbars was one of the biggest draws of a Compact, and now the playing field has been flattened.

I can’t get a Stage3 now… no way.

• Like 2

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

So, the hybrid LED drawbars have been borrowed from Yamaha YC-series, that's really new, it's the first time I see Yamaha being copied by Nord rather than the other way around 😲 Looks like a really nice all-in-one stage instrument. Thinking about the price makes me look elsewhere though 🤣

Since the thread is about talking someone out of Nord Stage, here's a super wild speculation: I hope the rumored Yamaha CK61/88 would be a Nord Stage competitor, in the sense they somehow added a configurable synth engine to the YC-series by either repurposing the drawbars or somehow fitting a few simple synth controls in the refaceCS style and undercutting the Nord Stage pricing but it's all a lot of wishful thinking... And I hope it will be announced before NAMM. 

7 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

Yeah, but that’s A LOT more split points!

No, just one extra split point visible in that image — the Stage 4 adds one more between the low B/C, while the Stage 3 88 only starts splits at the E/F above that. 

Beyond that, they're set every B/C and E/F. They probably went higher by one point, as well — but we have no images to confirm, yet. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

Got it. It looks like quite a bit more, but you’re right, it’s not a huge update. Although, what it does mean is if they have one toward the end of the keyboard, it’s better at creating a small region for SFX.

We can also hope that maybe they allow for splits to be made that aren’t actually on the LEDS, as others have suggested. Doesn’t seem very “Nord”, and this could easily have been programmed through a software update, but we shall see.

• Like 2

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Honest question… If it’s announced on Wednesday, when will it likely be available? What have the past upgrades been like? Will I be able to get one before the spring gig season takes off?

6 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

Honest question… If it’s announced on Wednesday, when will it likely be available? What have the past upgrades been like? Will I be able to get one before the spring gig season takes off?

I'm certain that's what they're hoping, but with component supplies being what they are, who's to say? 

There's significant pent-up demand for this unit, to be sure. 

32 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

I'd be VERY surprised if it became widely available before the summer.

My totally uninformed guess is:

- launch now

- first few units start to appear in late spring-summer and are immediately sold out

- widespread availability by autumn-end of the year

- mid-2024 for major firmware updates to sort out most bugs and add all the planned features

6 minutes ago, Spider76 said:

I'd be VERY surprised if it became widely available before the summer.

My totally uninformed guess is:

- launch now

- first few units start to appear in the summer and are immediately sold out

- widespread availability by autumn-end of the year

- mid-2024 for major firmware updates to sort out most bugs and add all the planned features

well shet, this complicates things for me then. Being in Alaska, resale is quite difficult so I’m probably not going to “buy a 3 now, sell it at 80% cost next year” but I’m kinda all over the map with my gear right now, with a lot of bands wanting to book summer tours. Maybe I should order ASAP and hope for the best.

the only thing that may seriously change this is if the Nord3 falls like $1000 as a result.

Nords tend to hold their value pretty well even after a new model is released. Good if you're selling, bad if you're buying.

In your situation, I'd NEVER buy a new, untested and unproven instrument. The NS3 had plenty of hardware and software issues when it came out, and it took Nord more than a year to sort everything out.

You need it urgently for intense professional use, so you can't afford a bug-ridden instrument with half-finished firmware, or even worse, an instrument with hardware issues.

For me, the obvious answer is to buy a fully mature and road-tested NS3, not even a thought about that.

Without even mentioning that the NS4 will be a blank sheet with no real-world info whatsoever, while for the NS3 you'll find tons of informations, tips&tricks, sounds and programs available from years of user experience, so you'll be up and running much faster.

My philosophy has always been that the release of a new model is the perfect time for buying... the old model!

Possibly a lightly used unit from somebody who's upgrading, or a blowout sale from retailers eager to empty their stocks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EricBarker said:

At most, it might change my decision on which version to purchase. I’m leaning toward NS3C because of the low weight and physical drawbars. If they magically had an 88 that was lower weight and had physical drawbars, I might be tempted to get it.

My usual recommendation to get the Compact and MIDI in a hammer-action 88 of your choice. You can pick something up for the difference in weight and cost between the Compact and the 88HA. And you can keep the drawbars.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stoken6 said:

My usual recommendation to get the Compact and MIDI in a hammer-action 88 of your choice. You can pick something up for the difference in weight and cost between the Compact and the 88HA. And you can keep the drawbars.

Cheers, Mike.

This is a mighty good idea, and one I've been thinking about. I have a Keylab88 (mk1). It's alright... used it for years, but I never liked the TP100LR. At some point I can pick up something better. 

5 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

This is a mighty good idea, and one I've been thinking about. I have a Keylab88 (mk1). It's alright... used it for years, but I never liked the TP100LR. At some point I can pick up something better. 

Casio PX5 - s/h 360/560. Yamaha P35/P85/P105 (when they still had MIDI). Kawai ES110 (ditto). All would make a lovely rig.

Cheers, Mike

Just to let you all know. You all failed to talk me out of getting one! I just bought one off one of our fellow KC member. Will be here in a week, I'll report back. Thanks for trying!

• Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 7:23 AM, Spider76 said:

My philosophy has always been that the release of a new model is the perfect time for buying... the old model!

^^^^ This!

As mentioned above, I believe we will see the NS4 "in the wild" sometime mid-summer, widespread availability this fall and at least a dozen firmware releases before they get everything sorted.  This is what happened with the NS3, which is not any less of a keyboard because Nord is announcing a new flagship.  You should be able to get some amazing deals -- new and used -- on the NS3 once the NS4 starts showing up in distribution.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:23 PM, EricBarker said:

Just to let you all know. You all failed to talk me out of getting one! I just bought one off one of our fellow KC member. Will be here in a week, I'll report back. Thanks for trying!

So, Eric, how does it work for you?

thanks for an update!

49 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

So, Eric, how does it work for you?

thanks for an update!

It's fantastic, really just what I need to get through my gigs. Just enough limitations to keep me in check, too. It's so simple, I've pretty much pushed the limits of what it can do, and it really does the job for what I need in a full band context. I feel like this keyboard was designed for ME in what I'm doing right now: rock, jazz, and pop band stuff, and solo piano.

I had some hiccups at first. As a first-run NS3C, it was a victim of the dreaded Mod Wheel Plug problem. Then someone bumped the input cable and broke the jack. Thankfully one of my band mates is a professional electronic repair guy, and fixed everything up good as new.

Yeah, I'm sold. This instrument is really designed to be played, and puts you in the mode of whatever type of keyboard you're currently using. That's it's strongest point. To top it off it has killer pianos, EPianos, B3, and effects. Terribly week rompler, but in some ways, that's not a bad thing... keeps me from getting too crazy about orchestral instruments when they often sound super cheesy live, almost worse the "better" they get. It's a keyboard!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CEB said:

Hammond, Anything else is just a clone. 

I hope you're also including modern Hammond Suzuki, which is just as much a clone as anything else.

Other than that, you're technically right. But at least my back doesn't hate me for it! 🤣

• Haha 1

The one thing that probably is even better about organ weighting in my case is that my LH is mostly playing bass on PolyD. The few times I’ve tried playing full piano on the Compact, my LH starts to get a little tired from the heavier springs. But I suspect I’d adjust, my LH just isn’t on the NS3C very much 

11 minutes ago, EricBarker said:

The one thing that probably is even better about organ weighting in my case is that my LH is mostly playing bass on PolyD. The few times I’ve tried playing full piano on the Compact, my LH starts to get a little tired from the heavier springs. But I suspect I’d adjust, my LH just isn’t on the NS3C very much 

I would like to hear some of your music, so maybe you could drop me a link when you have something online? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, ImproKeys said:

I would like to hear some of your music, so maybe you could drop me a link when you have something online? Thanks!

just uploaded a clip that a fan shot the other day:

• Like 2