Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best leslie effect for guitar???

I'm after the holy grail of leslie guitar tone, ie. "Abbey Road", "Let it Be", "Badge", etc.

Other than a real Leslie, have any of you come across any decent simulation effects?

I've never played the Korg G4, but I've had brief encounters with the POD XT effect, the one in the Vox Valvetronix, the DG-Stomp, the Rotoshpere - wasn't really blown away by any of those...

Pete

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a real leslie is the only thing that gets it really

but you might be able to get by with a Motion Sound Pro3T...like this (it's the regular Pro3, from what I've heard the newer Pro3T sounds better and is better built.)

btw, you can buy brandnew Motion Sound stuff through Sweetwater or any other MI store

Actually, I helped a friend of mine made a leslie pretty easily.... not quite the same as his real one, but it works ok. We took an old record player (remember those?) and put it in the bottom of a wooden cabinet, mounted a speaker about 18"-24" above it, and made a curved baffle that sat on the turntable. Not real wasy to change speeds on the fly, but otherwise it worked well.

drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

Leslie 16 or Fender Vibrolux are the ones you want for those tones- single rotors that do the full band.

Have never heard any simulation that was even remotely close. Fletcher is into some of the Kurzweil Mangler simulations though, which I haven't heard, but he's using them on keys.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

Leslie 16 or Fender Vibrolux are the ones you want for those tones- single rotors that do the full band.

Have never heard any simulation that was even remotely close. Fletcher is into some of the Kurzweil Mangler simulations though, which I haven't heard, but he's using them on keys.

Do you mean Fender Vibratone?

When I was poor (I'm still poor) I hooked up a square box fan to a rheostat to control the speed. Place the fan in front of the guitar amp and you've got a poor man's leslie.

GY

Originally posted by GY:

When I was poor (I'm still poor) I hooked up a square box fan to a rheostat to control the speed. Place the fan in front of the guitar amp and you've got a poor man's leslie.

Don't you think in this age of technology that I should use an oscillating fan instead? :D

Seriously, I've read reviews of the Korg G4, and that is supposed to be the shiznit - the only thing is that no longer make them, and they fetch about $350-$400 on Ebay!

Not only that, but supposedly it has the original Ibanez Tube Screamer circuitry built-in.

Why the heck wouldn't Korg re-issue these? Sounds like a no brainer...

Pete

I used to have a Cordovox CL-30 Leslie speaker, very much like the Fender Vibratone. Single styrofoam rotor, mounted in front of a single 12" speaker, belt driven with a two speed motor. Fast speed sounded like the intro to Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun. The slow speed had a great chorus sound. Kind of like listening to a radio sitting on the park bench while you're laying flat on your back drunk on the merry-go-round. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

The rotary effect on my guitarist's Line 6 modulation modeler sounded so good that I recorded organ tracks through it. It's got separate effects for high rotor and low rotor, and they speed up separately from each other. Pretty cool.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

This may sound kinda goofy but I get a great simulated Leslie by running a chorus and tremolo together at slightly different speeds.

Yeah...that worked great!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

This may sound kinda goofy but I get a great simulated Leslie by running a chorus and tremolo together at slightly different speeds.

Cool idea! Was this more for fast Leslie sounds? What would be some recommended settings for a slow swirl?

Pete

Originally posted by Jode:

The rotary effect on my guitarist's Line 6 modulation modeler sounded so good that I recorded organ tracks through it. It's got separate effects for high rotor and low rotor, and they speed up separately from each other. Pretty cool.

I'd be interested to know if this is the same effect as in the POD XT. I'll have to check their forum. Maybe another motivator to get a POD...

Pete

Originally posted by pbognar:

Cool idea! Was this more for fast Leslie sounds? What would be some recommended settings for a slow swirl?

Pete

Mostly for faster but I've used it for both. I just played with the settings to get the right speeds. I do keep the chorus (old DOD stereo BTW) controls maxed except for the speed.

Originally posted by pbognar:

Pete

I too have achieved an appealing wobble my using a Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress at a slightly different speed than a phaser. That was very cool, come to think of it.

Leslie is a combination of 3 effects: Tremelo, doppler effect, and phase shifting. The doppler effect indicates that there is actual pitch fluctuation going on- possibly an application for the setting on a Univibe or univibe copy that is so bizarre and difficult to come up with uses for? So I would think that using a subtle tremelo, subtle phase shift, and subtle pitch oscillation would be a formula for getting there, and yes having the speeds off just a bit adds the crazy wobble that never really repeats the same way twice (one of the advantages of the Electric Mistress, aside from the name!).

Is it vibrolux or vibratrone? Anyway, it is indeed a full-band through single styrofoam rotor dealie just like the Leslie 16, or Leslie 18, which uses a 12" speaker instead. I actually have a 12" Celestion Vintage 30 inside my Leslie 16- blew out the stock 10" speaker!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived