Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's talk modular synths

I'm already planning to mod my NiftyCases. That nice real estate at the top of the case will get mults and passive attenuators as well as modifying the final 1/4" out to stereo.

If I get ambitious I might put some utility mixers up top, but I'd have to run power. I'm in a planning frenzy and fighting for every spare hp.

Moe

---

Got my cases. Holy crap, they are tiny! 

First thought: maybe I need more space.

Second thought: it's going to cost $4k just to fill these 2 tiny cases if I pay new module prices. 

One reason I bought thiis size was to purposely constrain myself.

• Haha 1

Moe

---

6 hours ago, mate stubb said:

One reason I bought thiis size was to purposely constrain myself.

How do you spell dumb?

I spell it E-u-r-o-r-a-c-k...

Yeah, at first I thought I'd get by with one or two of those 19" 84HP rack adapters. Now I've got six. Okay, things have been pretty stable for the last eighteen months or so, but I'm no longer foolish enough to say that I'll absolutely never need another two or three adapters. Or four. Or whatever. Don't get me wrong, these things are more fun than the law allows, but the racks do tend to fill up fast.

I've got a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of space and current. It also serves as an inventory list in case I have a brain fart and can't remember how many VCOs or VCFs I've got. I think you can do something similar on modulargrid (is that what they call it?), but I'm happy with my roll-my-own approach.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

11 hours ago, mate stubb said:

these modules running dsp code

When it is accepted to run digital code in today´s hardware modular systems modules , I wonder why not using a QUALITY digital DSP based solution, being able to sound analog as well.

Modular IV is a beast,- as well as Modular II, III and FleXor III ...

They all together are,- and they store patches !

:)

A.C.

Here's my latest iteration. Looks like a module greatest hits collection, probably old hat to many but exciting to me. I've done conventional analog to death, so this is going to let me explore other approaches.  It trades some menu diving in certain utility modules for extreme versatility for a small system.

modulargrid_2138170.jpg

• Like 1

Moe

---

A Winter Modular Eloquencer is up on eBay if anyone is brave enough to tackle the learning curve. I swear these things are semi-sentient--smarter than some musicians I've known--but I'll leave it up to you.

Grey

• Like 1

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

20 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Here's my latest iteration. Looks like a module greatest hits collection, probably old hat to many but exciting to me. I've done conventional analog to death, so this is going to let me explore other approaches.  It trades some menu diving in certain utility modules for extreme versatility for a small system.

That looks very much like my idea of a sensible modular aimed at enhancing a more traditional rig featuring keyboards and/or e-drums. A great deal of the creative potential is there without taking up a wall. If you start thinking about setting up another rack that size, I volunteer to come over and whack you. :hitt:

Sometimes your common sense just needs a little encouragement. Added points for the Uplaits and Make Noise inclusions. A capacitance pad seems to me like a must-have for a modular.

• Haha 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

When working on some essential Moog circuits which I made myself from schematics, I found out there's a lot that shouldn't be left to chance, about circuit layout, ground design, and the tuning of all kinds of electronic parameters, such that the "Moog filter" knew many strange variations that work but not so many that sound as "right" as a proper module in context. Also, tuning all elements to a certain degree of desired accuracy and having programmability as an option would make even a monophonic synth with "standard" Moog blocks as complicated as ... the Voyager that came out while later!

Now I understand that a lot of the intended tunings were part of a design about sound elements, related to digital studio effects, and without a doubt even related to Moogs work at Kurzweil. Viideos like the above therefor have long ago lost their appeal to me. If someone can make beautiful sounds from a modular setup, I can deeply appreciate that, but I generally have not much faith in the principle in this time.

T

18 hours ago, mate stubb said:

Then I shouldn't show you my design for the performance row...

(cue up Weird Al's "Weasel Stomping Day." 😛) Oh, I dunno. Mentally shopping for new modules isn't unlike shopping for synths. You have to go through a few to learn what you really need the most. I will always partially filter the synth world through my early piano days, which colors things in its own ways. If I try to turn a modular into a piano, then I'm the one who needs to be whacked with a stick. 

My first modular experience was with a big PAIA a friend built. He knew just enough to solder the modules fairly well. Otherwise, he was Mr. Knew-Diddly and I was Mr Knows-Squat. We cussed like gods trying to sync it up with a Korg MS-20, an ARP Sequencer and a Minimoog. You can imagine the eruptions that came from Mount "F**K!!!" during all of that. :D Everyone's path to Synth Nirvana is a little different.

• Like 1

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Well, I finally decided to get a proper Eurorack effects unit. I narrowed it down to two very different devices, Empress ZOIA Euroburo or Strymon Starlab. After a lot of research and watching a lot of YouTube videos I finally ordered the ... ... ... Poly Effects Hector. I think I am in love. It is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. ... ... ... I still want a ZOIA Euroburo and a Strymon Starlab.

• Like 2

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 1/9/2023 at 8:24 PM, mate stubb said:

Then I shouldn't show you my design for the performance row...

modulargrid_2125189.jpg

Nice! I recently re-arranged my system to put my controllers/sequencers all in one rack. This is in a TipTop Mantis Case:

image.thumb.png.f4ca654ff76da00892dee322aba31e54.png
Thinking I'll put the Malekko CV/Gate expander and a buffered mult into the remaining 6hp.

• Like 2

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 1/12/2023 at 7:23 AM, RABid said:

Well, I finally decided to get a proper Eurorack effects unit. I narrowed it down to two very different devices, Empress ZOIA Euroburo or Strymon Starlab. After a lot of research and watching a lot of YouTube videos I finally ordered the ... ... ... Poly Effects Hector. I think I am in love. It is scheduled to arrive Tuesday. ... ... ... I still want a ZOIA Euroburo and a Strymon Starlab.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:11 PM, NewImprov said:

I recently re-arranged my system to put my controllers/sequencers all in one rack.

This is something I have grumbled and debated and argued with myself about...whether to put like-functioning devices together in the same area or to mix things up. On the one hand, I've got all my conventional oscillators together, but on the other hand, I've got my two sequencers far apart. The Eloquencer is smack-dab in the middle of the percussion section (Intellijel Plonks, Tip Top One, etc.), which makes sense to me, whereas the Metropolis is with, well, a whole hodge-podge of miscellaneous things...not a well thought out layout. I need to go through and reorganize stuff, because the top two rack adapters were actually pretty much populated in the order I bought the modules, rather than according to any rational plan.

The question is...what's the best layout for what I want to do? This will require more grumbling and mumbling...

Grey

Can’t go wrong with either a Makenoise Shared System Plus or 0-Coast/0-Control/Strega combo, if you want even more portable and inexpensive.

You can hunt for the perfect module combo forever, or just go with things that work really well together.

Some don’t like MakeNoise’s interfaces, but I find them extremely intuitive and inspiring after just a small amount of familiarization.

3 hours ago, RABid said:

Moe? I don't see an analog oscillator anywhere in your planned rig. I suggest two if you want to play around with audio rate modulations.

How about now?

modulargrid_2138170.jpg

I've been going in circles on a non mutable voice or two. First I wanted a west coast voice but they are just too big for my rack. Then I settled on just a complex oscillator and chose the Piston Honda. But the more I listened to it and other complex oscillators, the more I disliked the ugly sounding chaos that happens when you open a couple modulation paths. For not liking the sound of most of this, I would sure have to pay up $$ for the privelege.

So I am using my remaining space for a couple of analogue Pony VCOs which I quite like the sound of - wavefolders and through zero FM in 4hp - and I still have space for a filter and a couple LPGs plus a 2hp Pluck that also sounds good to me.

The system design seems pretty balanced now.
Rene for the two Ponies and Pluck, Pachinko for the Mutable stuff, and Grids for drums, enough mixer channels to hear it all at the same time, plus freedom to patch something different. Pam as an alternate drum brain / master clock, and 3 channels of Disting for FX, extra craziness, and bringing midi and sample playback.

I've no panel space for mults, and some modules are short on attenuators, so I'll build a few into the top space of the Nifty Cases.

Moe

---

I've been looking for an Intellijel Rainmaker for well over a year. Intellijel has been hit hard by the chip shortage and I refuse to pay the Reverb chip shortage price for a used unit. Was on Sweetwater browsing effects units and decided to double check availability, even though I am on their notify list for the Rainmaker. What did I find, a demo unit suddenly available. I grabbed it immediately. Now, how do I fit Hector, Metropolix and Rainmaker all in the same rack? 

1 hour ago, mate stubb said:

The system design seems pretty balanced now.

Now you need to start thinking more about placement. Osc to Filter to Amp is obvious but there are other things to consider. Your Pam is going to drive everything and needs to connect to Rene and Pachinko with clock signals. I would move Pam all the way to the left and put Rene next to it, then move Pachinko to the left above Pam. If you can put multiples next to Pam, or move Pam next to wherever you put your multiples.

I've moved modules around a lot already. Right now, modules are placed to spread knobs out. Coming from a large format modular, I'm deathly afraid of dinky knobs buried amidst the cable forest. 

I may well find it's not that bad in practice, and I can group by usage instead.

Moe

---

2 hours ago, RABid said:

Now you need to start thinking more about placement. Osc to Filter to Amp is obvious but there are other things to consider. Your Pam is going to drive everything and needs to connect to Rene and Pachinko with clock signals. I would move Pam all the way to the left and put Rene next to it, then move Pachinko to the left above Pam. If you can put multiples next to Pam, or move Pam next to wherever you put your multiples.

I've rearranged according to your suggestions. Modular grid is a very dangerous tool...

modulargrid_2138170.jpg?1673842653

Moe

---

Experience with the system is the only real way to determine best placement. There is no standard formula because not everyone uses modules the same way. The main thing is though experience, determine what module gets the most tweakage and arrange so that the controls on that module remain clean of patch cables.

• Like 1