Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DIY Szechuan crispy garlic chili oil

I’ve become a huge fan of the S&B and Laoganma crispy garlic chili oil, but it’s kind of expensive, so I tried making my own this weekend. It came out pretty great. 

231179BB-EFC1-4FB3-BA88-B6B0D00C64BD.thumb.jpeg.97003a440abbd449250d244c1d5b8fd3.jpeg

Recipe here: https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-spicy-chili-crisp

• Like 3

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Wow. Very adventurous. How hot is the end result compared to say Sambal Oeleck? It seems like the shallots, garlic and nuts would mitigate the peppers somewhat at least.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

On 11/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, Threadslayer said:

Wow. Very adventurous. How hot is the end result compared to say Sambal Oeleck? It seems like the shallots, garlic and nuts would mitigate the peppers somewhat at least.

It came out pretty hot, though not as fiery as the Sambal Oelek I have tasted. I may make the next batch milder, using milder peppers. The flavor is great, very close to the original, with a really deep umami note, and the texture of the deep fried shallots and garlic chips is really nice. 

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I’m intrigued!  

I’ve been thinking about learning how to make hot chili oil at home for years now.  There’s a place near me that makes the best I’ve ever had, incorporating pan-toasted garlic and ginger in addition to the chili flakes.  It may not be as hot as some, but when it gets mixed with a sweet sauce or something like honey, the flavor just BLOOMS!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

On 11/26/2022 at 1:36 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’m intrigued!  

I’ve been thinking about learning how to make hot chili oil at home for years now.  There’s a place near me that makes the best I’ve ever had, incorporating pan-toasted garlic and ginger in addition to the chili flakes.  It may not be as hot as some, but when it gets mixed with a sweet sauce or something like honey, the flavor just BLOOMS!

You should try it! It was a really fun process, the only really hairy part was deep frying the shallots, they took forever to get any color, and then very suddenly started to turn too brown. The only thing I'd recommend is maybe doing a half recipe to start, and then deciding if the heat/spice level and flavor is what you want, the full flavor doesn't really develop for a few days, so it's hard to taste it as you go. I already have ideas for how I'd change it for the next batch.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper