Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Genesis catalog sold, richest drummers, etc.

o0Ampy0o

The other day I came across news repeated by several sources.

“A portion” of the Genesis, Phil Collins solo and Mike and the Mechanics catalogs have been sold to Concord Music Group. I guess with the current states of the industry and each member a bird in the hand is better than what is involved with shaking more out of the bushes for the future. You have something. including control, for the remainder of your life…..the end of which is approaching relatively soon. The old system has not been replenishing the bank accounts for Mike and Tony. Phil of course has had a huge solo career but he had to retire. It is simpler for everyone this way regarding their estates. 

The other topic was the richest drummers in the world. I looked at a number of these articles coming up in a Google search. I did not see that they mentioned the source of the wealth. Somewhere somehow someone compiled a list based on something. They are not backed by verifiable sources. They just become topics of conversation. I would rather see a list of the most earned to this point in their lifetimes and also include current worth, however, based on lists with the most current dates (no links, you can Google it):

1. Ringo  2. Lars Ulrich  3. Larry Mullen Jr.  4. Dave Grohl.  5. Phil Collins.  6. Don Henley.  7. Charley Watts   (#5 and after may vary depending on the source of the list)

I was surprised Ringo is consistently #1 going years of lists back. The Beatles may have split the general money equally but song writing was specific and Ringo was only credited on 6 songs and four were shared with others. It is also strange that Charley Watts, Phil Collins and Don Henley are under Dave Grohl who follows Ringo along with Larry Mullen Jr. and Lars Ulrich. U2 and Metalica have large fanbases but they are above bands with much wider mixtures of fans and which have had more time at it. Next comes Phil Collins. The Rolling Stones, The Eagles and Henley solo have been widely popular for a longer span of time than Phil Collins. 

I like many of the songs but I am not a big fan of The Rolling Stones. There are probably 30+ Stones songs to every Grohl song I find appealing. Some Stones songs are GREAT. Many Collins Genesis and Collins solo as well as many Henley Eagles and Henley solo have been GREAT. I don’t feel any songs Dave Grohl has been part of are GREAT. Are there that many people in more recent generations which find Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Metalica, and U2 appealing to surpass The Stones, Phil Collins fronted songs and Don Henley fronted songs? What are fans spending money on? There isn’t enough room for them to be making up the financial differences by attending concerts. 

Also, Phil Collins wrote and sang his solo songs but he used a drum machine on many as did Henley. Henley does not play drums when he tours solo as far as what I have observed when I have seen him 2x solo. So should the money earned from those songs be included? I guess as a drummer in the list being and performing are not taken into account. Paul McCartney plays drums and is the drummer on some Beatles and McCartney solo songs. Paul’s first solo album has probably generated more income for Paul than all of Ringo’s solo albums and Beatles song writing credits have generated for Ringo. Where is Paul?

My personal preferences aside I am also taking into account the observed universal appeal of the associated bands of these drummers. The list probably is looking at the musician’s personal assets, period. I keep thinking of band association. Phil and Don have had the whole pie in their hugely popular solo work while the others have only had a piece of the band pie.  I don’t see how Lars Ulrich and Larry Mullen could have more money than them when neither have notoriety outside their band affiliation. Dave Grohl?

Well, while Genesis never had a #1 album on The Billboard 200, Invisible Touch went #3 on the 200 and went platinum 6 times over, which means that Collins, Rutherford and Banks are probably the richest men on the planet.

Plus, Phil Collins isn't getting any younger. After all, most people are quick to point out that Phil Collins has been plagued by persistent health issues which have forced him to cut back considerably on touring with Genesis, and that's saying a lot, given that Genesis has not put out any new music in nearly 25 years.

From what I found Ringo, Lars, and Larry Mullen jr. are pretty much tied in net worth. Steve Gadd is surprisingly high with a net worth of $215 Million just behind Don Henley at $250 Million.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

6 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

Steve Gadd is surprisingly high with a net worth of $215 Million

Interesting - you don't get that kind of wealth by being a session sideman. Does he have writing credits? %age of mechanical royalties to "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover"?

Cheers, Mike.

7 hours ago, Shamanzarek said:

Steve Gadd is surprisingly high with a net worth of $215 Million

Of course Steve deserves all the money he's made but... where does this info come from? I mean, he's mostly a sideman and session guy. Not a songwriter or leader of a platinum-selling band. Sure he's played with platinum-selling artists (and likely got a very fat & well-deserved paycheck for that), but again, that's as a sideman; did he buy Apple stock in 1980?

I agree that it is surprising, and unlikely that Steve Gadd is that well off. He's always been a sideman and keeps touring as a sideman. I know that back when I was dealing with him (at Ensoniq for a Signature Series sampling sessions we did thanks to Jason Miles) that he just wanted cash payment... needed to pay the bills as he told me.

I'd be thrilled to know that he is that well off, but I seriously doubt it.

Jerry

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

Of course Steve deserves all the money he's made but... where does this info come from? I mean, he's mostly a sideman and session guy. Not a songwriter or leader of a platinum-selling band. Sure he's played with platinum-selling artists (and likely got a very fat & well-deserved paycheck for that), but again, that's as a sideman; did he buy Apple stock in 1980?

This might be a joke as I can't find anything about these investments. From Mediamass website: 

The American drummer has an estimated net worth of $215 million. He owes his fortune to smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals with CoverGirl cosmetics. He also owns several restaurants (the “Fat Gadd Burger” chain) in Washington, a Football Team (the “Irondequoit Angels”), has launched his own brand of Vodka (Pure Wondergadd - US), and is tackling the juniors market with a top-selling perfume (With Love from Steve) and a fashion line called “Steve Gadd Seduction”.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

36 minutes ago, Shamanzarek said:

This might be a joke as I can't find anything about these investments. From Mediamass website: 

https://en.mediamass.net/blog/mediamass-project

"The website mediamass.net is the medium of our satire to expose with humour, exaggeration and ridicule the contemporary mass production and mass consumption that we observe."

On 11/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Reezekeys said:

Steve along with Ringo invested in no load mutual funds, primarily indexed funds. 

Larry and Dave retained their rights.

Don Henley, took a totally different approach and developed a proprietary brand of asshole pills and made his fortune marketing his addictive prescription asshole pills to the music industry.

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3