Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Intermittent volume changes in Voce V5

I'm experiencing intermittent changes in volume in Voce V5, ranging from full, half, and zero, and then back and forth, no particular order. No scratchiness. Any advice, deoxit?

Thanks in advance.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you using to control it? 

If  the actual changes are that specific, could be your (Midi) controller is sending some kind of conflicting volume or expression message. 

I haven't fired up my V5 in a while, but do remember having some weird stuff that needed to be filtered depending on what I was using to drive it. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

15 hours ago, sagetunes said:

I'm experiencing intermittent changes in volume in Voce V5, ranging from full, half, and zero, and then back and forth, no particular order. No scratchiness. Any advice, deoxit?

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to understand your setup.

Do you have the volume control all the up (full volume)?  What happens when you backoff the volume knob to 3/4 rather than full?

Are you using an expression pedal and what CC are you setting the expression to if you are using one?  

What MIDI channel are you set to?  Have you tried a different midi channel than channel 1? (to avoid potential conflicts with the controller sending out other spurious data on channel 1 as well)?

PM me if you want; I'm intimately familiar with the unit and still use it alot....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Thanks for your help guys.

2 different controllers (alesis q88 and old Roland RD200), One with expression pedal, one with none. Same issues, so I've eliminated the controller or pedal as culprits.

I've tried 2 power supplies that meet the specs, but I kinda think the problem could be power-related.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Some of those were made 20 years ago. You could have dried electrolytic caps or a loose ground connection. If it works but cuts out, that's a good sign it's still working but has a failing part. If you're not a tech, which I'm guessing you're not, your v5 probably needs one. I'm guessing an easy fix. 

FunMachine.

1 hour ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

Some of those were made 20 years ago. You could have dried electrolytic caps or a loose ground connection. If it works but cuts out, that's a good sign it's still working but has a failing part. If you're not a tech, which I'm guessing you're not, your v5 probably needs one. I'm guessing an easy fix. 

Easy fix if it is a stock part.  Voce went out of business and no parts and no service manual.  I have two V5+'s, one is a backup and it'll probably be my parts source if the other one breaks.  Still something about the sound of that module that I really like. Sounds great through a tube leslie.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It's too bad.  They made a lot of inroads in the 90's.  Too bad they are out of business. I drove to Utica NY in 1993 with my dad to get a Micro B as they weren't available at other music stores. 

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2022 at 5:42 PM, sagetunes said:

Thanks in advance.

I wonder if the issue is your volume pot.  It would be interesting to know if you bypassed the volume knob if the issue stopped. Another thing to try is switching the volume pot with the key click pot.  If the volume remains constant then the issue is the pot itself and it might be possible to either source the pot or live with the keyclick going up and down due to the bad pot now adjusting the key click erratically.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band