Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone try this with a Gold/Platinum record?

From another forum:

Try playing a gold or platinum record from the RIAA. Our copy of McCartney's "Flowers in the Dirt" had some of the most amateur foul-mouthed rap I've ever heard (and I've heard a lot of bad demos.) We compared groove patterns, and out of twenty or so, there were 4 different records. Probably rejects or returns, bought wholesale and then gilded ( or whatever they do; spray paint?)

Anyway, the records on the wall are actually playable.

EDITED for freshness

"For instance" is not proof.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never actually spun a gold/platinum record on a turntable, but while looking at rows of them one day at a recording studio, I noted that several of them seemed to have the same groove pattern. I assumed it was just a mold from which all the ceremonial gold records were made... the ones that shared the same apparent song length and groove patterns were all from the same label.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Tedster:

Wow...that's amazing! And to think I already used all of my gold records for clay pigeons...

Like John Entwhistle?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

I was told that they just use any old LP that they have laying around. I guess thay figure that the real LP is worth money, it is a million seller after all.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Originally posted by Tedster:

Wow...that's amazing! And to think I already used all of my gold records for clay pigeons...

Like John Entwhistle?
I knew I'd heard or seen that before...figures... :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The studio where I used to work had quite a few discs on the walls, and while I worked there we had a few more come in. The companies who sent them to us pretty much admitted to me that they were any old disc they had lying around, almost never the actual record on the attached label. Often, I was told, they are cut-outs that never sold, bought in lots for scrap and recycling.

This is how they get recycled. Well, one of the ways...

Peace,

wraub

[edited to add minty flavor]

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

one thing to keep in mind - There are a lot of different suppliers of "award plaques". Not all of the awards you see are RIAA awards. The different official award styles over time are documented at the RIAA site The RIAA gets a pretty good price for official awards.

here's a good link at lennon.net that alludes to the changes over time in the awards. It also name drops the official vendor.

It may be apocryphal, but at one time I was told that gold 45's played in reverse - a product of the lacquer / stamper process.

Archived