Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Melodica Inbound

I've played a melodica off and on over the past twenty five years.  First needed it in a band that did a couple of Blues Traveler covers.  After last year's move I 'unearthed' it, and while the tube attachment cleaned up well the rest of the unit smells well, mildewy... So I ordered a new one yesterday: A Hohner Airboard 37.  I plan on taking it to some local jam nights, then working it into my gigging rig. 

On that much earlier gig I held the melodica in front of a vocal mic, but this time I want to add a basic pick-up.  Didn't find any helpful references in the 'Melodica' search I just did here, though it was fun checking out a couple of performances videos - especially the ones by Josh Paxton!  

Thinking that a basic piezo pick-up should work, though I'm wondering about the best way to mount that. I've read of problems with surface attachments - external noise, etc. But I'm not sure if opening the unit is best either.  What do you fellow melodica users here recommend? 

• Like 2

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Allan,

Don't know about the pick-up situation but I have an Air Board and compared to to my previous Hohner (vintage 1990) the Air Board is quite a bit louder and brighter.  I blow it into a vocal mic which is fine if you're careful to have it in the right position.

Good luck,

Joe

I used a piezo pickup with a Suzuki M37C, and it was clunky as hell, especially when used with effects like delay (CLUNK-clunk-clunk ....).

I finally moved to an Hammond Suzuki Pro44H, that i currently use in a couple of projects, and i am very happy with the internal mike, no clunks, no larsen.

The mike wasn't the main reason to move the 44H, but it helped :)

Maurizio

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I have used a clip-on condenser mic (Akg) for years. But a combination of setup aggravation and occasional feedback led me to the Hammond with built in mic. This new instrument is significantly (to me the player) better sounding and playing. And the yen to dollar rate today means that new ones sell for a hundred dollars less than a few years ago.

Been shopping the Hammond/Suzuki 44h for a while and will eventually grab one.    I  have a few Hohners - some  vintage and a newer airboard that tends to be my  go-to.

I like the Airboard  because  It's compact, easy to take (fly) most anywhere.  Not being not overly expensive. I feel better taking that one out on the road.  As Joe said, the newer ones play better and hold up well. 

If you just want to experiment,  those piezos are a cheap investment.  Totally agree about the ciick-clack thing when using an external pickup. I tend to run mine  either into my little Fender Harp amp or a mixer with touch of echo/verb.  I cut the low EQ and it's serviceable. 

I bought this $20 ish. stick-on pickup on blind faith on Amazon only  because it had a volume control and detachable cable.  I don't turn it  up until I'm ready to blow.   Not incredible, and noisy if I move around too much,  but works better for me  than using a stationary mic.  Took a bit of trial & error to find the sweet spot (and place of least physical noise) but has worked out well until I find a Suzuki at a decent price.   I use a similar one with dual pickups on my concertina.  Most recent  gig I used them on,  I asked  FOH guy  how they sounded in the house-  He smiled - "Great! .. just don't move".  :)

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Something worth passing on with mildew and such:    Every time I get electronic gear I collect those large silica packets.  I put them in all my melodica cases, and also a few in my harmonica box.  Helps a bunch with moisture.

You can also put those tube mouth pieces in the dishwasher.  I ran  a mouthpiece from a 60's Hohner found in salvation army store in the dishwasher as well.  Hohner sells  mouth pieces for most of their stuff- even the vintage ones.  I've also bought a few super cheap melodicas on Ebay just to cannibalize the case, mouthpieces etc.  Was going to take one apart to see how a piezo would work internally. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

12 hours ago, obxa said:

Been shopping the Hammond/Suzuki 44h for a while and will eventually grab one.    I  have a few Hohners - some  vintage and a newer airboard that tends to be my  go-to.

I like the Airboard  because  It's compact, easy to take (fly) most anywhere.  Not being not overly expensive. I feel better taking that one out on the road.  As Joe said, the newer ones play better and hold up well. 

If you just want to experiment,  those piezos are a cheap investment.  Totally agree about the ciick-clack thing when using an external pickup. I tend to run mine  either into my little Fender Harp amp or a mixer with touch of echo/verb.  I cut the low EQ and it's serviceable. 

I bought this $20 ish. stick-on pickup on blind faith on Amazon only  because it had a volume control and detachable cable.  I don't turn it  up until I'm ready to blow.   Not incredible, and noisy if I move around too much,  but works better for me  than using a stationary mic.  Took a bit of trial & error to find the sweet spot (and place of least physical noise) but has worked out well until I find a Suzuki at a decent price.   I use a similar one with dual pickups on my concertina.  Most recent  gig I used them on,  I asked  FOH guy  how they sounded in the house-  He smiled - "Great! .. just don't move".  :)

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

That's the same Airboard I just ordered!  Also found a similar stick-on pickup on Amazon.  Went with Amazon recommended one, a red trimmed unit. So we'll get to compare notes on pickups.  Will probably use the audio in on my Casio CTS-500, for a local jam night I plan to start attending again.  The summer stage is a large, outdoor space (plenty of room for my YC-88), but for the colder weather the jam night moves inside to a tiny space; so the CTS-500/melodica combination will work well.  iPad may get included too, for clonewheel coverage. 

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

I took my Hohner 32 key melodica apart and cleaned the insides. Pretty easy.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

On 10/14/2022 at 7:55 PM, Ledbetter said:

I took my Hohner 32 key melodica apart and cleaned the insides. Pretty easy.

I would've considered that, but this melodica is missing a black key and part of white key from somewhere in a few rather long journeys... The case was super-thin soft plastic. The Airboard case appears to offer at least basic protection.

I saw Pianoman mention those clip on condensors, there's a boutique Meyer pickup and clip on  (vid below) , but I also notice they've got big honking Condesor picking up the band, but still sounds pretty cool- and for a trio, pretty cool vibe. 

I think the Airboards are a good value.   Again, be warned those  piezos are more blunt force trauma than hi fi :) but if you can find the least offensive place to put it, it's  good.  BTW. in case it's not obvious, in my pic I found the pickup best on the top 1/3 (below LH bass side).  But might be different with your pickup.  I mentioned I bought a super cheap 37 key ($12.00)  because  needed a case for my older Hohner, and was also able to also  use  the mouthpiece.   I have another  piezo for that one-  going to  experiment with installing inside. Feel better taking that apart. 

I really wish Suzuki would do a 37 key with pickup.  It's weird that beside the  large one,  they have an alto, and a bass one.  I checked  44 current prices- though I'm sure it's very nice, $500 plus is a bit steep for me for something I use on one or two songs. 

• Like 2

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Hohner student with both piezo and mic- you can hear the key noise, but this is what convinced me to give it a whirl. This guy has some great comparison vids, and great player.

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

2 hours ago, obxa said:

I saw Pianoman mention those clip on condensors, there's a boutique Meyer pickup and clip on  (vid below) , but I also notice they've got big honking Condesor picking up the band, but still sounds pretty cool- and for a trio, pretty cool vibe. 

I think the Airboards are a good value.   Again, be warned those  piezos are more blunt force trauma than hi fi :) but if you can find the least offensive place to put it, it's  good.  BTW. in case it's not obvious, in my pic I found the pickup best on the top 1/3 (below LH bass side).  But might be different with your pickup.  I mentioned I bought a super cheap 37 key ($12.00)  because  needed a case for my older Hohner, and was also able to also  use  the mouthpiece.   I have another  piezo for that one-  going to  experiment with installing inside. Feel better taking that apart. 

I really wish Suzuki would do a 37 key with pickup.  It's weird that beside the  large one,  they have an alto, and a bass one.  I checked  44 current prices- though I'm sure it's very nice, $500 plus is a bit steep for me for something I use on one or two songs. 

Wow, I haven’t heard a melodica bend notes like that.  Have always wished a melodica had a pitch stick like some harmonicas do to slide the pitch of the note a half step.

That didn’t sound like he was using pickups, couldn’t tell.  I tried pickups on flutes before and it was one big clicky mess, don’t know how you could overcome that.

Using a microphone, I moved the top of the keyboard to whatever note I was playing, the main tone seems to come out adjacent to the keys being pressed, makes for a gorgeous tone, esp with a bit of reverb sweetness.  Like a singer, I prefer having a stationary microphone rather than a headset microphone.

How well do the $400+ Horner’s with the built-in pickups do?  Any clacking of keys picked up?  I understand there are two of them, very close in price, that have different tones.

I have the Yamaha Pianica 37, about $100.  I’ve always heard that you need to learn to tune the reeds for most melodica, some keys can get very out of pitch, in fact, many brands come severely out of pitch from the factory.  I’ve heard the Pianicas don’t suffer too bad from that and they’re the best in their class for tone and projection.  Mine is pretty easy to play, not too much breath required to play.  Yamaha has come out with a new melodica a few years ago, it’s supposed to have a somewhat mellower tone than the one they’ve had out for years, something I’d welcome, it can get honky.

Haven’t tried the Airboards.  What’s their price range, how in tune are they, how much breath required for long passages?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Hi Randy-  we were talking about adding (cheap)  piezos to the Hohners, AFAIK they don't offer a model with pickup.   

The Hammond/Suzuki has built in pickups, and is a  better crafted instrument.   I've only  played the 37 but not the 44.  So I'll defer to those that own one to give us their thoughts. 

Hohner Airboards ($50-99)  are basically  glorified student models.  They have alternate mouthpieces, and  some funky colors (Reggae, paint splash, all black or red etc.) I will say, I've got several old Hohners going back to the 60's  that cost more,  and I think they did a great job with the newer ones.   Easy to play, in tune, rugged, and good volume.  I've played the smaller Yamahas and always liked them.

I personally prefer that slightly "imperfect concertina type charm"- at least for the type of projects and gigs I use melodica on. 

I think that guy developed that bending Melodica himself- he's got some other videos.   There is a room mic for the whole band, but he's using the Meyer pickup system  into an amp- so I think it's combination of the acoustic and amp sound you hear.  BTW They crosslink from their website to him. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

3 hours ago, obxa said:

I've only  played the 37 but not the 44.  So I'll defer to those that own one to give us their thoughts. 

I moved from a 37 suzuki to the Pro 44h. Currently i do Jazz standards on the Melodica, so the longer keyboard is important.

The sound is great, not too metallic, and more "real instrument" on the 44H then the 37, more room for expression when you do a ballad, for exemple; i know the 44HP is brighter, i am happy with the 44H.

But the biggest difference has been the fact that the 44 needs less breath, giving more more freedom to built up my phrases and also allowing faster passages; on the 37 moving from one note to the other need more breath, and it was difficult for me to do fast phrases with a uniform sound; with the 44H fast phrases are more natural.

Maurizio

• Like 1

By the way, i am looking for a good reverb to use with my 44H; i found that low end reverb (like those on mixing consoles) give most of the time a boxy, ringing, metallic  sound with it, anybody tried high end reverb pedals like Strymon and Eventide on a Melodica ?

Thanks

Maurizio

PS: do not know if it was wiser to post this on a separate thread .....

Here’s my cheap solution for fx on my Hammond…

iPad running Eventide iOS plug-ins, which are very reasonable cost.

I’m taking a 1/4” guitar cable from the melodica to an ancient Shure low z to hi z in-line transformer. (The Hammond mic output is low z). The hi z signal feeds via 1/4” into a original iRig (guitar to iPhone I/o device). This iRig feeds in and out of the iPad via the audio Jack. The iRig’s return output is a stereo 1/8” Jack which feeds into headphones or a mixer.

I can run the Eventide plug-ins by themselves or inside GarageBand. My favorite plug-in is MicroPitch which allows me to simulate a three reed musette. There are reverbs, delays, a rotary sim , and choruses, etc. to try out. 

Yeah, what is it with cheap reverbs in this day and age? I always listen for the metallic ring of the reverb tail.

Melodica world is a good resource for all things melodica, there are quite a few innovators on that forum.

I have heard slightly bent notes on a melodica before and it sounded like it was hard to do. This guy made it look effortless and he was bending all over the place!

That's one of the things that I absolutely love about my Yamaha Alto recorder, even though it's plastic it gets a beautiful Woody tone, and bending the notes is just part of playing it. It has a sweeter sound than a melodica, but like any instrument it has its own challenges. For one thing, to sound reasonably fluent on it, it needs to be practiced a good deal more then the melodica.

@ Mauricio: That is surprising that you need less breath on a 44 compared to the 37. Sounds like I would like the Hammond 44H as well. The thing about a melodica is that the sound is generated very close to your ears if you're not using a tube, and that sound is very nasal/ loud to my ears. Yes I meant the expensive Hammond melodica with the pickup, but I said the hohner.

I've been intrigued by the bass melodicas, but the amount of breath needed means you'd be playing very short phrases!

I wonder if you could use a pickup on a melodica and send it through a wireless guitar setup so you would be completely mobile-?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

On 10/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, RandyFF said:

That is surprising that you need less breath on a 44 compared to the 37. Sounds like I would like the Hammond 44H as well. The thing about a melodica is that the sound is generated very close to your ears if you're not using a tube, and that sound is very nasal/ loud to my ears. Yes I meant the expensive Hammond melodica with the pickup, but I said the hohner.

Well the 44H is not a longer 37, internals, sound and keyboard are clearly different.

The 44HP should have a brighter less nasal (and louder) sound, from the doc and from Youtube demos :).

Maurizio

Following the annonce of the Strymon BigSky plugin i download the evaluation licence to try the plugin with my melodica, to get an idea of how the corresponding pedal would work.

And it works great; in particular the basic stuff, Room, Hall, Spring and Plate are great for the Melodica, add some body without mudding the sound or adding rings or other artefacts. Very well adapted to using the Melodica as a solo Jazz Instrument (thing that this year i am doing at my jazz school :).

The other stuff, Cloud, Chorale, Shimmer seems less useful in this kind of context, but of some use (less than what you would get from a guitar) in a more ambient/electronic contexte. 

Probably a reasonably priced second hand one (around here they cost as a new Blue Sky, the smaller brother) could be a good option ...

Maurizio

• 9 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, obxa said:

IMG_4666.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

Nice color.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, mauriziodececco said:

Following the annonce of the Strymon BigSky plugin i download the evaluation licence to try the plugin with my melodica, to get an idea of how the corresponding pedal would work.

And it works great; in particular the basic stuff, Room, Hall, Spring and Plate are great for the Melodica, add some body without mudding the sound or adding rings or other artefacts. Very well adapted to using the Melodica as a solo Jazz Instrument (thing that this year i am doing at my jazz school :).

Since the thread was resurrected, i'll tell the end of the story, it may be interesting to some 44h owners.

After trying the BigSky plugin, i tried the IK Multimedia X Space plugin (there is a trial for it), and i found that for the 44H it sounded as good, if not better, than the BigSky; i found that the melodica require a clear reverb to avoid mudding up the sound. So i finally bought the corresponding pedal, new on amazon, for quite a lot less than the big names stuff. I use Rooms and Spring for medium/fast pieces, and a Plate for ballads, and it sound great. I use shimmers and other wild effects on a ambient/electro project.

By the way, the 44H micro level was a bit too low; to avoid noise in the reverb pedal i bough a booster pedal that can add some amp saturation; the result is a fuller sound, great in solos.

Maurizio

• Like 1