Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muso movie headsup "I used to be famous" Netflix (keyboard specific)

Just watched this quirky good time muso movie tonight. So do yourself a favour and check it out.

I love watching quirky movies from many nations. This was my latest and it featured fun muso stuff. Quirky is good.

Worth a look for us older musos some whom may have been in this situation.

Or for no other reason than for an "X stand" appearance in an early scene. That'll give you a laugh.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

Kind of low score on IMDB at 6.7 though...

I never worry about scores. Never.

My wife does and always says such and such is said to be good by the throngs. When i hear that I dont want to watch if the throngs think its good. We often cannot agree on movies

Ironically i take a chance by one simple expedient. If the heading photo looks good i open the description if i can accept that i consider it. Ironically often the heading photo is deceptive but hey its as good as going eeny meany miney moe I guess

But by coincidence it was a suggestion from my wife. Not that she saw a write up but by the heading.

As a famous Aussie once said

"Do yourself a favour"

8 hours ago, Piktor said:

If you want to save time, spend three minutes watching the trailer. As with most modern trailers, you get the entire story in that compressed time frame. 

Hee hee. Yes ive noticed that on many movies. Fortunately i didn't watch this ones trailer.

I started watching the movie on the recommendation given here. 

I enjoyed it.  I didn't get to the end but that is more because of my own restlessness than the quality of the movie.

Anyone recognize the Roland keyboard that is featured throughout the movie?  (The keyboard is almost a character in it's own right.  I cringed watching it get tossed on the ground in that one scene.)

15 minutes ago, JamPro said:

I started watching the movie on the recommendation given here. 

I enjoyed it.  I didn't get to the end but that is more because of my own restlessness than the quality of the movie.

Anyone recognize the Roland keyboard that is featured throughout the movie?  (The keyboard is almost a character in it's own right.  I cringed watching it get tossed on the ground in that one scene.)

I cringed too. I couldnt recognise it but it definately told a story from his youth to his truth. Based on his age its an old old keyboard.

3 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Hee hee. Yes ive noticed that on many movies. Fortunately i didn't watch this ones trailer.

Sometimes, when I used to go to movie theatres, as soon as a trailer for a movie that I wanted to see came on I closed my eyes, plugged my ears and hummed. 🫣

Apparently, market research shows that compressing the whole story into a trailer increases attendance. Human beings are strange. 😁

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the movie. 

Trailers do not contain spoilers and I’ve never seen one that uncovers anything important in the plot. They rather present the general mood. That being said, I watched the trailer and I get it’s a “feel good” movie. Call me cynical but I hate those 😀 I prefer dark stuff and dramas (as I am with music too)

9 hours ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

It's a Roland HS-60, which was a Juno 106 with built-in speakers and a different color scheme (which is odd because they also made a Juno 106S, which was also a Juno 106 with speakers).

Good pick-up.  Thanks.  Follow-on question: could that keyboard indeed make the sounds we heard during those scenes when it is being played?

12 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Trailers do not contain spoilers and I’ve never seen one that uncovers anything important in the plot. They rather present the general mood. That being said, I watched the trailer and I get it’s a “feel good” movie. Call me cynical but I hate those 😀 I prefer dark stuff and dramas (as I am with music too)

I think most trailers don't present spoilers, but some definitely reveal basic plot; as a result after the first few seconds I'd rather avoid them...

9 hours ago, JamPro said:

Good pick-up.  Thanks.  Follow-on question: could that keyboard indeed make the sounds we heard during those scenes when it is being played?

I think so. Everything he's playing sounds close to the kind of sounds the Junos can make. Ofc course, the sound coming out of the built-in speakers would be a lot different than how it sounds in the movie.

Now its known its a Roland HS60 so without giving too much away of the shows background its not possible to power it the way he did without extra "do-dads".(being cryptic here)

I haven't gone back in to view that scene again so i dont remember anything else he was using as power. Plus hes life situation wouldnt allow him to afford a more technical solution.

Ive powered a keyboard the way he did but it cant be a keyboard on AC like the HS60 without any extra do dads. But as the show is not about the actual keyboard that just "rivet counting" or "train spotting"

On 9/21/2022 at 4:08 AM, AUSSIEKEYS said:

I never worry about scores. Never.

My wife does and always says such and such is said to be good by the throngs. When i hear that I dont want to watch if the throngs think its good. We often cannot agree on movies

Ironically i take a chance by one simple expedient. If the heading photo looks good i open the description if i can accept that i consider it. Ironically often the heading photo is deceptive but hey its as good as going eeny meany miney moe I guess

But by coincidence it was a suggestion from my wife. Not that she saw a write up but by the heading.

As a famous Aussie once said

"Do yourself a favour"

So, you've seen all six "Sharknado" movies then?

:)

Seriously, back on topic (directed at me) - I saw this movie last night and added it to my list - I will be checking it out.

SoundEngine.com: Vintage Synths, Accordions, Organs, and Ambient Sound FX

http://www.soundengine.com/

I don't saw it last night.  I feel it was getting into Hallmark Movie Territory a little bit.  Some of the script could have been longer.  You never get a good backstory on Vince, just in pieces.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

9 hours ago, SoundEngine.com said:

So, you've seen all six "Sharknado" movies then?

Hee Hee I think I saw a lot of them cause I like Flake and chips. (Battered shark is called Flake here). So Fish and Chips

Flake is now more expensive than Battered Fish here where as when a kid in 60s 70s 80s when you ordered Fish and Chips it was always battered shark (Flake) as it was cheaper. They wouldnt give you the quality fish in a generic order. But now Flake is dearer than fish.

Now you have just answered the question i asked a fish shop lady a few weeks ago ( I seriously did)

"Why is Flake (shark) now dearer than Fancy fish"

She just shrugged her shoulders and said "dunno"

Now I know.

Its these dang blasted Nado movies they've killed most of the sharks off. Thats right killed them.

This was a documentary right???

As the soup guy would say in Seinfeld "No Flake for you "

• Haha 1

Any movie that starts off with a guy carting around a vintage Roland synth should be one I can like, but this one is tough.  Not sure I can get through it.  The plot is color-by-numbers predictable, the characters 2-dimensional, and unfortunately there's not enough good music to make up for these glaring weaknesses.  It's not like the movie "Once" where, if you weren't drawn in by the story, the music carried you along anyway.  Maybe the ending is good, but I probably won't find out.

Coulda been a lot better if the Roland had a bigger role . . . 

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

On 9/23/2022 at 10:31 PM, marino said:

Thanks . I'll watch it.

Also, while checking this one, I have noticed another interesting title on Netflix: "A Jazzman's Blues". Has anyone watched it?

On your heads up my wife and I have just started watching it 10 minutes ago

Ill tell you when i watch it all.

Early scene has some sweet music...rest so far luvy duvy. But building up to something. 

Great scenery i love that hanging down stuff we see in many southern movies.

• Like 1

Trying to think of nice things to say about "Used to be Famous," the acting is pretty good for a movie like this.  The leading performances are all very convincing and heartfelt, and that alone makes the movie watchable (or almost).  And I am reading that some of the actors are on the spectrum, including most notably the young drummer, which is pretty cool.  

Final compliment is that I thought the gig scene really worked musically and otherwise.  There just wasn't enough of that in the movie overall to keep my interest.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I watched "Used to be Famous" with my wife last night.

It passed the time, and some of the scenes were touching, however I didn't have the emotional engagement with the characters that I felt in the original "Once", for example.  The pacing felt extremely rushed, yet I wouldn't want the film to last any longer.  My wife really enjoyed "Yesterday", but this movie fell flat with her, unfortunately.  Using an autistic actor as one of the leads was a great choice, though, and his performance is very good.

2 out of 5 stars for us.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.