Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wonderful Chuck Leavell Tutorial --Jessica

EscapeRocks

The "other" keyboard player for The Stones was Jack Nitzsche who also worked extensively as orchestrator and conductor for Phil Spector. From 1964 t0 1966 he was their primary keyboard player on all recordings done at RCA Studios Hollywood.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

2 hours ago, Polkahero said:

Is that a mistake at 3:08 during the octaves section?

Yup sure sounds like it, and a few more here and there.  Which begs several questions.. 

How is it possible that one of the GOAT piano songs / riffs / solos has mistakes in it?  How can something that is so perfect actually be imperfect?  Does the slight sub-imperfection actually contribute to the overall perfection?

Why did they leave it in there?  Is it possible that Chuck did this all in one take, and they decided that the feel and sound was so damn good they would live with the few very minor clams?  Did they feel they attempting to "fix" it by overdubbing would not work? 

Or perhaps, these are not mistakes at all, they are intentional?  Could they be small easter eggs planted by Chuck and the boys to keep fans on their toes and guessing?  (ok I'm grasping here haha)

Slight diversion:  I don't know if this was already mentioned, but this year is the 50th anniversary of Jessica.  Happy Anniversary!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Yeah, he probably meant to hit that one note out of 10,000 more cleanly. That's not the same thing as a mistake. If anything it makes it more perfect.

What amazing playing. That part is so complex and simple at the same time. I'm also always amazed to find out how much LH playing people do, or really, did back then. But the part isn't the part without it. 

It's also really patient playing. He's 100% in the rhythm section until that great solo. He doesn't vary or pop out anywhere. He's almost like a looping percussion part. 

So good. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

14 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

Just found an isolated piano track of the original. Mm mm good.

Well, guess it's time to hit the woodshed again. His left hand (really, the interlocking of both hands) is grooving SO HARD.

• Like 2

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

10 hours ago, TommyRude said:

Why did they leave it in there?  Is it possible that Chuck did this all in one take, and they decided that the feel and sound was so damn good they would live with the few very minor clams?  Did they feel they attempting to "fix" it by overdubbing would not work? 

I'd be willing to bet he did the take live on the floor with the band. You can hear the drum bleed in the piano track (unless they achieved the isolated track through some phase trickery and that's what I'm hearing). In that case, fixing a mistake that you never heard in a thousand listens until you heard the isolated track would have been time consuming, and ultimately more jarring for the listener than leaving it as-is. No pro tools for comps in 1973!

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

That whole intro I was playing different all these years. I will have to relearn it.  The rest of it is straightforward.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Amazing tutorial of one of my favorite piano solos.  What an artist!  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D