Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Lync is almost here.

2 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Yeah,- not urgently necessary w/ a range of 4 octaves.

But make sense when layering patches or quickly jump thru (combos of) zones by muting un-muting these,- if that functionality exists at all.

The AZ-1 had it. Only two zones, though.

I´d miss true aftertouch and found it always senseless assigning it to another physical controller.

Yes, sometimes the specs are misleading. On an instrument with this kind of price, I would expect true aftertouch. Again, the AZ-1 has excellent action and great aftertouch - deep and gradual.

Up to now, the new Lync´s functionality isn´t explained well enough and in detail.

Let´s wait for more in-depth specs.

A.t.m., I don´t want to invest a grand for it until I read more detailed specs and positive early adopters´ reports.

Frankly, I'm not too impatient; I don't think I will ever need a keytar anymore. The sight of an older keyboardist wearing one of those things doesn't feel right to me for some reason. (The picture was from 20 years ago...) :D 

On 9/8/2022 at 6:10 AM, Al Coda said:

Interesting !

It seems MIDI is wireless exclusively,- no other ports.

Not bad,- but now it´s all about MIDI latency and jitter.

Up to now, PandaMidi Midibeam v2 seemed to be the best wireless solution.

Chick Corea used that for his Yammi KX5s.

Now I wonder what LYNC is using.

It should at least match or better,- surpass PandaMidi specs !

☺️

A.C.

Their Facebook page has some pictures from NAMM 2022. In one, it appears that they were using the PandaMidi MidiBeam RX02 receiver. But I haven't contacted the mfr to verify that's what ships with the unit.

E7AEA0FB-9D31-44B1-A07F-784433DB0A05.jpeg

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

21 hours ago, marino said:

I don't think I will ever need a keytar anymore. The sight of an older keyboardist wearing one of those things doesn't feel right to me for some reason.

I never used mine for showup purposes,- except for less than a handfull of TV shows in the 90s.

The so called "keytar" has other advantages for me and I use it since the 80s,- except for live performances. :D

N´uff said ...

A.C.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 6:08 AM, zeronyne said:

I’m starting to sound like a shill, but they are offering $300 off for the October batch right now (just saw the FB announcement). If you’re a gambler like me, you can save some scratch.

Ordered!!! Thanks man

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, synthdogg said:

Uhhhhh, has anyone else seen this? Now I'm even more interested. 

326367050_493497756327587_7659282089609921194_n.jpg

Still the best looking sling-on keyboard. Bloody Roland made a look a like but the Lync was the original design.

Alas I wont be tempted into buying one as by coincidence Ive just finished half an hour ago dusting down my 3 vintage keytars to put them on Gumtree for swap or sale.

A Yamaha KX5 in case, a Casio AZ1 in box and my Sequential Circuits P5 remote keyboard (very rare in Australia). Wont list them here as Im in Australia so this is not an advert.

Its time to let my remaining sling-on collection go as I'll never have the use for one again and im tired of being surrounded by gear when i need to "save the ranch".

If i get stuck with one Id like it to be the Casio AZ1 as i believe that had the best functions of the time. Certainly in Australia. 

But a Lync was always the one I wished was available in Australia back in the day for its look. I cant remember how well its functions compared to others of the day but I remember it being better than most.

Coincidentally, I got this email from them overnight subject line "Re: Lync is REFUNDING your order"...

Not long ago, we sent an email to a few customers who ordered before you, offering refunds as we are having delays and some issues producing these wonderful LN-4000 Keytars within schedule. Some of them refused the refund and wanted to wait longer, and some accepted the refunds and plan on purchasing in the future after we get the production process to our liking and restructure the business.

The recent batch shipped out were to some of those customers who who refused the refunds and wanted to wait till we finished their order. We still had several more to catch up on. After a thorough review of the length of our production process in that batch and feedback of the current firmware, we have realized that we are significantly behind schedule and our products may not meet our high standards of quality.

As a result, we have decided to issue refunds to all customers who ordered prior to January of this year. Orders after that, were given later delivery times with hopes we can restructure and refine the production process in time. Our primary concern is to ensure that our customers are completely satisfied with the products they receive, not wait any longer than they already were, and we believe that this is the best way to resolve the issue.

We will still run limited ads, and only take a smaller portion of new orders with a disclosure of a realistic delivery time, many months past the ordering date until we solve some of our production issues and possibly outsource the majority of the grunt work.

Please allow several business days for your refund to process.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we want to assure you that our team is working diligently to get back on track, and we are confident that we will be able to fulfill orders in a timely manner in the near future.

I admire their forthrightness.  They clearly seem committed to getting it right, and I hope they succeed.

• Wow! 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

hmmm, the Alesis Vortex II comes to mind . And apart from the 4 midi zones, can do all this unit can as well as have aftertouch.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

A lot of talk about the AZ-1 here. I still have mine which I got used in 1992. I couldn't stand the white casing and enormous logo so I took it apart and sprayed it matt black.

I had no idea about painting and didn't use any primer etc. This resulted in an unexpectedly-pleasing distressed look which it wears to this day. Last used live in about 2016. 

More recently in another band as lead vox I used an Alesis Vortex 2- such a good board for the money, although it has some stupid programming quirks.

This time some black duct tape over the logo sufficed.

I used to love the hardware octave switch on the AZ-1- allowed the dropping octave effect on single notes like Tony Banks used.

The Lync looks good, but I am happy with what I have for now.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, The Real MC said:

Thanks for the heads up, I placed an order.  Then I got an email stating they were back in action with new suppliers for the shells.  They were very enthusiastic.

:crazy:

Sorry,- that seems to be today´s marketing strategy.

I didn´t click the button ...

Did they ask for a deposit ?

:whistle:

A.C.

• 2 months later...

Back in the day, I saw a local concert where a keyboardist was playing a single Roland Axis, laid out FLAT on an Invisible Support stand. He had some module to one side that emitted a few synth patches, but he mainly made the thing smoke with multiple guitar variations. No posturing with a strap, just a furrowed brow and jaw-dropping whammy-bar/pitch-bender action. I've never seen the like since, but its not a bad idea. Its certainly not the expected approach.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

On 6/5/2023 at 12:20 PM, Ja Kangaroo said:

urrently used by a virtual psychiatric clinic, the woman said for about a year.  I wish this was a real product.

On 6/6/2023 at 4:55 PM, synthdogg said:

I just received shipping info for my order. Hopefully there will be good news soon!

Yikes. Hopefully Ms. Cleo's understudy will make short work of fulfilling the keytar orders when she's not informing her clients that they man be cheating girl.

On 6/5/2023 at 1:20 PM, Ja Kangaroo said:

I called their phone and it seems disconnected.   their address is currently used by a virtual psychiatric clinic, the woman said for about a year.  I wish this was a real product.

Where did you get their phone number? I don’t see it listed on their website.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

On 6/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, synthdogg said:

I just received shipping info for my order. Hopefully there will be good news soon!

Ha! Well, I received an email from Lync today saying that the shipment is actually a gift from Lync appreciating the patience since the orders are taking longer than expected. So - I guess I won't be opening a new keyboard up on Monday.

Hey, I've ordered a number of fairly esoteric or brand new pieces of music gear over the past few years, there's been delays with almost all of them, and sometimes flat out betrayals and disappointments. Although the Lync has taken longer than expected, so far the company has been outstanding with their communication. They've been proactive and have taken full ownership of any issues that they've faced. I have nothing but good things to say about them so far, and I have a TON of grace for their situation.   I'm looking forward to the day I'm actually opening the box for the new Lync! 

• Like 2