Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dexibell Vivo S1 68 Keys

Getting too old to schlep heavy gear around.  I bought the S1, 18 lbs, and the sounds, acoustic pnos and EPs are pretty good.  The action is similar to a B3 although the keys aren't waterfall.  I downloaded a few of the Platinum pianos from their website.  So far, I'm very satisfied with the sounds.  Even the jazz organ sounds OK.  I also bought a Peavey KB2, about 34lbs.  Everything is easy on the lower back now!

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than the KB2, if you still are within a return/exchange window, I'd look at the Alto TS308 which only weighs 20 lbs, and should sound better besides. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In another thread a Fender rumble was mentioned with a 12 inch speaker. I see they have a 15 inch. I've been thinking about a 15 for deeper organ bass. And 34.5 lbs.

Thoughts?

Though, if you were to play more solo piano, I'd go with 2 Alto or other twin speakers for stereo effect.

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Rumble-Bass-Combo-Amplifier/dp/B00HWINO88/ref=sr_1_2?crid=874VNN202CAC&keywords=fender%2Brumble%2B100&qid=1662163727&sprefix=fender%2Brumble%2B100%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-2&th=1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the Dexibell S1 for about 4 weeks now on jazz combo and big band jazz gigs.  I'm very satisfied with the performance of this kybd.   All I need are the pno, ep and jazz organ sounds and I'm good to go. 

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

I decided to take look at this keyboard, hoping that they made corrections of some issues I found with the combo J7.  I listened to the demo and eventually got to the organ in the demo at the 4:35 mark.  It sounds distinctly familiar to the old J7 leslie which was horrible.  Well, no difference to my ears.  Without question my PC3's leslie sounds better .......   Argh.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have to agree on that one.  While I'm sure it isn't easy to bring a product like this to market, Dexibell's products have too many drawbacks: no internal PSUs, a subpar leslie, pianos and eps that are good, but haven't wowed me, and prices on the higher side.  On the other hand, they do have some cool features, such as the motorized faders on some of their keyboards, the ability to load soundfonts on some keyboards, and built in speakers on a professional level instrument.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Yes, I'm surprised to hear that Leslie in the demo... it reminds me of the Leslie in the original J7 before they improved it with an update. Weird. Maybe some settings?

One thing in its favor, though, is that the Dexibells work well as MIDI controllers. You should be able to use its moving fader/drawbars in conjunction with VB3m or B-3X, for example. I did it with the J7 and B3X. 

And yes, GotKeys, the ability to load soundfonts is very useful, and the implementation is dirt simple. All their keyboards support it. (Well, the ones we talk about here, at least. I don't know about their home models.) So getting back to the OP, it's a nice feature of the S1, too.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)