Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to keep an iPad on a piano ...

I am trying to use an iPad for charts, forScore is absolutely great for RealBooks and similar, but i have a more mundane problem: how to avoid that the iPad fall on the floor while playing.

The music holder in my vertical piano was not conceived for iPad, and the ipad doesn't feel safe on it.

Any smart trick or accessory ?

Thanks,

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

That’s interesting.  For the most part I’ve had no issues placing an iPad on piano music rests.  Have you put the iPad in a silicon/rubber/plastic case?  Would that improve your piano’s music rest situation or make it worse?   Is the problem that the shelf it sits on is too narrow and you can’t get it to angle without falling forward? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I also use an iPad Air 2 for ForScore and it sits perfectly both on my acoustic (Yamaha U3H) and on any of my digital pianos music rests. The iPad is on a Logitech book-like case, which helps it to have some extra grip (and of course protect it). I guess an iPad without case would easily slip and fall

When I was still using my iPad I just set it on the Nord music stand and plenty strong and rubber-like something on the bottom so it does slide around.     Or go to Amazon and type in "music stand ipad holder" and you'll get a page of different types of iPad attachment for music stands. 

This. Velcro the base of it to the top of the keyboard. I’ve used this for the last eight years without problems or regrets.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Upgraded-Greater-Stability-OMOTON/dp/B08LYSTZV9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=JILFMK4V51HC&keywords=ipad+holder+stand&qid=1661632740&sprefix=iPad+holder%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-3

• Like 1

Attach it to a mouse pad then lay the mouse pad on the piano.  I did that for both my Voce and my Gemini module.  I didnt want to put velcro on my synth to keep them secured; the mouse pad doesnt slide (it's made not to slide) and solved my issue.

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Two tricks - velcro strips with adhesive backing - a small strip on your device, a small strip on the keyboard - nothing moves anywhere, yet you can pull device and keyboard apart for transport.

- carpet underlayment - that thin foam-rubbery material will keep stuff from sliding around - works like a mouse pad but thinner 

• Like 1

To echo the above suggestions- A silicone case ideally with it's own kickstand works great to make it non-slip.  I just plop mine  in the the music rack of the piano, or if playing organ, keep these in all my gig bags:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08K2W4X2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I also keep a black roll of that shelf liner stuff in my car-  and some pre cut strips and squares in my gig bag. 

Comes in super handy for anything you need to keep from moving:  like pedals on the floor,  when  using  an phone/ipad mini  to control a mixer app and lay flat on a keyboard.   I also use it underneath keyboards  on the arms or supports of the stand to keep them from sliding. 

https://www.amazon.com/SteadMax-Non-Slip-Ultra-Grip-Bathroom-Non-Adhesive/dp/B08QNFMGC3/ref=sr_1_9?crid=76ESQ0JV5HSS&keywords=draw+liner+mesh&qid=1661729747&sprefix=draw+liner+mes%2Caps%2C350&sr=8-9

Also recommend a 10 ft fabric covered charging cable- preferably right angle.  I'm amazed at guys who use their ipad on a gig/show after already doing  rehearsals/soundcheck and then worry all night  they won't have enough battery to make it through the gig. 

• Like 1

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Any time this kind of topic comes up, I recommend 3m Command Picture Hanging Strips. The strips are like Velcro, but each side is removable like normal command strips. They stay fastened on the iPad and the keyboard surface until you pull them off. They come in black. I use them for everything.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

I just bought a couple tacky pads (for lack of a better term) intended to hold phones and tables on a car's dashboard (not sure how safe that is, but anyway.)  They do appear to have some glue on them, and I was hoping to replace the velcro on my Modx so that the glue doesn't dry and harden.  I have gaffer's tape under it, but I worry about that too :)   For something stationary like a piano--and something you may not want glue on--the suggestion of a case is a good one.  I have a case that has a cover that folds into a reading stand, it's not nearly as slick as the ipad itself is.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

That’s interesting.  For the most part I’ve had no issues placing an iPad on piano music rests.  Have you put the iPad in a silicon/rubber/plastic case?  Would that improve your piano’s music rest situation or make it worse?   Is the problem that the shelf it sits on is too narrow and you can’t get it to angle without falling forward? 

Exactly: the music rest is thin, and probably not at a favorable angle; even with paper sheet sometime is problematic.

The iPad is on a plastic case, a cheap one from amazon, that introduce a new problem: the cover is slightly bigger than the iPad, so with the cover folder behind, the iPad actually sit on the cover; this can be fixed changing the case, anyway.

Thanks for all the answer, i'll look around in the house if i find any rubbery material to put on the music stand.

Glue, velcros, and nailing is out of question, is a vertical wood piano (a nice Rameau), not a stage keyboard :).

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

12 minutes ago, mauriziodececco said:

Exactly: the music rest is thin, and probably not at a favorable angle; even with paper sheet sometime is problematic.

The iPad is on a plastic case, a cheap one from amazon, that introduce a new problem: the cover is slightly bigger than the iPad, so with the cover folder behind, the iPad actually sit on the cover; this can be fixed changing the case, anyway.

Thanks for all the answer, i'll look around in the house if i find any rubbery material to put on the music stand.

Glue, velcros, and nailing is out of question, is a vertical wood piano (a nice Rameau), not a stage keyboard :).

Maurizio

I think I have found your solution,  but I’m not certain, because I’m not sure if your upright has a place to mount this extension rest. It hangs from the top of your existing rest and gives you a new shelf at a better angle. 

https://www.grandstandforpiano.com/

• Like 1

I use a grippy shelf liner to set my iPhone on top of my NS3.  Doesn't use adhesive and doesn't mar the surface.  The weight of the iPhone is enough to make a strong grip between the two surfaces.   I'm not sure if you can access the link below in your country, but I would think almost any waffle-style, rubbery shelf liner will work.  This brand has different colors so maybe you can find something that can blend in with the piano.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Select-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-10-Feet/dp/B002AS9N58

Shelf Liner.jpg

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

2 minutes ago, ajstan said:

I use a grippy shelf liner to set my iPhone on top of my NS3.  Doesn't use adhesive and doesn't mar the surface.  The weight of the iPhone is enough to make a strong grip between the two surfaces.   I'm not sure if you can access the link below in your country, but I would think almost any waffle-style, rubbery shelf liner will work.  This brand has different colors so maybe you can find something that can blend in with the piano.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Select-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-10-Feet/dp/B002AS9N58

Shelf Liner.jpg

The OP is on an  acoustic upright with a built in music rest.  The shelf is narrow so the iPad falls forward toward him because the iPad isn’t angled enough back. 

6 hours ago, mauriziodececco said:

Maurizio

37 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

The OP is on an  acoustic upright with a built in music rest.  The shelf is narrow so the iPad falls forward toward him because the iPad isn’t angled enough back. 

I was responding to the OP's search for non-marring rubbery material.

• Like 1

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K