Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX+

ElmerJFudd

B21B55D9-076A-424D-B7A5-509EB2EC5B89.png.528508056dffe8a1f68c8aeb1d0d816f.png

944D633B-7486-485F-8BD2-437D6B567F61.png.72564cff4fa78177cb638746272294c0.png

89076C74-8DF4-4A69-8AA9-400166181883.png.b89f8e2df222f5dffed46c74f7a11611.png

No specs yet, just speculation.  But it seems this is the path they are taking. 

Someone must be beta testing this right now. “Rumored” details are too specific.  

https://yamahamusicians.com/introducing-the-new-yamaha-modx/?fbclid=IwAR0IsRqFz8PpMj6Kfje1N2WNN1YVyvVuf10yXR28WVUxUgEjJw4GywPzGb4

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Let’s hope that they upgrade the keyboard action as well. 

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

A0180673-41E5-4CB9-B50A-49E241314452.png

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

57 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Let’s hope that they upgrade the keyboard action as well. 

Yes, especially on the 6 and 7.  But I doubt it, they just don’t put their good action on sub $2k boards, neither do Roland or Korg.  And many others you don’t get a quality action at any price point.  

AWM2, FMX, ANX.  Very tempting.  Would they give us a software editor.  Setup a sound modo for patch sharing? 

idk, that seems to be the trend, but it wasn't that long ago that the MO8 had the BH action. Same as in the Motif 8.

I feel the GHS is acceptable for the MX88, but the MODX8 should really have something better at its price point.

Especially since the S90 is discontinued.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

1 hour ago, zephonic said:

idk, that seems to be the trend, but it wasn't that long ago that the MO8 had the BH action. Same as in the Motif 8.

I feel the GHS is acceptable for the MX88, but the MODX8 should really have something better at its price point.

Especially since the S90 is discontinued.

But the MO8 was about 46 lbs. GHS (or the balanced version in the YC73/CP73) is the only lightweight hammer mechanism action they make, until/unless they figure out some new design...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

^ That’s a good advice. With the introduction of MODX+ the used Montage price may go further down since more people will be more interested in the new MODX+ and thus a used Montage will make a lot of sense because it has nice features such as aftertouch which would be great for AN-X. The 8 endless encoders with LED rings will also be super useful for that. I’m wondering if a used Montage can be bought for the price of a new MODX+ or slightly more, that would be a great deal. 

I’m wondering if Yamaha implemented a custom UI screen for the AN-X. One that would be familiar to people who work with VA-s. Because their FM-X engine is just a rehashing of the AWM2 screens. If they went the lazy road and repurposed the AWM2 for the AN-X too, for instance using the element screens for oscillators etc, it would be very silly.  

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

^ That’s a good advice. With the introduction of MODX+ the used Montage price may go further down since more people will be more interested in the new MODX+ and thus a used Montage will make a lot of sense because it has nice features such as aftertouch which would be great for AN-X. The 8 endless encoders with LED rings will also be super useful for that. I’m wondering if a used Montage can be bought for the price of a new MODX+ or slightly more, that would be a great deal. 

I’m wondering if Yamaha implemented a custom UI screen for the AN-X. One that would be familiar to people who work with VA-s. Because their FM-X engine is just a rehashing of the AWM2 screens. If they went the lazy road and repurposed the AWM2 for the AN-X too, for instance using the element screens for oscillators etc, it would be very silly.  

About used prices, I got my first Montage 6 in 2019. It was a 2016 unit, used just at home, and cost back then was 1600€ (price in shops was around 3000€). My beautiful Montage 6 White, a 2019 unit bought in 2020, was just 1550€ (it was a one-time gigged unit, immaculate). So, for the price of one, I got two 😁. Which is very convenient as the White is always on the main studio and the Black is the gigging synth, which stays on the secondary studio while not in use, but can be easily carried on its padded Gator bag when needed.

I really hope Yamaha updates the Montage firmware with a new engine, for obvious reasons 😅

Jose

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CyberGene said:

Right, which makes me wonder if the solution would be a software editor, VST/AU editor librarian.  But with adequate screen size a firmware update with synth engine specific user interface would be fine. 

14 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

I would say now is the right time to do what I did some time ago: buy a used Montage. If they are really going to keep the current model and enhance it by new firmware, it would be a wise buying. IMO 

This would be my route, except my latest used Keyboard has experienced a glitch--unfortunately after the 45-day return period from GC.   A previous bought-used keyboard has also glitched on me in the past five years.  Now, both of these were Kurzweils...

The other consideration is that if I get a Montage I'd much prefer that white one :D   Knowing it exists would make it hard to get the regular one.   And I've been keeping my eye out for used white Montages but have not seen one yet from Guitar Center, which is pretty much the only place I buy used from because of that bring it back locally return policy.

I think at this point in my life, and gigging life, I want to focus on things I really want and not settle.   I'll keep saving gig money and/or wait for a raise at work and get a new one.  I have a Novation Summit that I'm probably going to sell so that money can go into the fund.   The question at that point would be Fantom or Summit barring something else interesting coming along.   If I keep the Modx then I'd go Fantom, unless a new AN-X (which of course is speculative) knocks it out of the park.    Either of those can also serve as a very nice home studio controller, taking the place of the Summit.

21 hours ago, EB5AGV said:

I would say now is the right time to do what I did some time ago: buy a used Montage. If they are really going to keep the current model and enhance it by new firmware, it would be a wise buying. IMO 

Agreed though its weight makes it prohibitive in some contexts sadly

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

Agreed though its weight makes it prohibitive in some contexts sadly

Totally. I would have bought a Montage6 right on the spot at launch except for its weight. Well into geezer-dom, here. 😃

-- pj

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Still wall-wart powered. You can have it.

Understandably, we have been spoiled by IEC power supplies. 

However, having owned a few wall wart devices, it's not that bad. 

Sure, it's flimsy and requires a tracking device, otherwise, it works fine.  Still better than changing out batteries. 😁😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It is nice how all the fuss about the AN-X engine is expanding 🤭. As I have said in other threads, I wish it is a reality. But Saul, who has some contacts in Yamaha, but also a NDA, has hinted on Yamaha Musicians forum that perhaps the update is not so big...

So, well, it seems sure the MODX+ will have double memory than MODX (so same as Montage), better mod and pitch wheels, different ends and color and little more. Even the leaked user manual says nothing on a new engine...

We will know for sure in some weeks!

OK, after reading the blurry intro pages -- 1.75GB expansion memory and a plus sign. No change in audio spec.

Back to work, then. Nothing to see here. Move along.

-- pj

P.S. Next time anyone gets a leaked manual, please copy the spec page!!!! 😀

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 5:30 AM, CyberGene said:

On 8/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

Right, which makes me wonder if the solution would be a software editor, VST/AU editor librarian.  But with adequate screen size a firmware update with synth engine specific user interface would be fine. 

This reminds me of how Roland has two completely different interfaces for some of their vintage synth emulations... IIRC, the ACB-based Jupiter 8 cloud emulation "looks" like a Jupiter 8, whereas the ABM based version (whether used as a cloud-based VST or as it appears on a Fantom) has no such GUI, but just their more typical menu-oriented layout.

But back to whatever Yamaha may do with AN-X in whatever form it finally appears... I would not expect any software VST/AU based editor. Yamaha seems to have pretty much abandoned that approach. Their editor software has never been very good. I think that kind of software development is just not their area of expertise. And they may have found it more expensive to develop and support than it is worth (especially considering the lackluster results). With the MODX/Montage and YC/CP, they have left that entirely to John Melas. 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

44 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

This reminds me of how Roland has two completely different interfaces for some of their vintage synth emulations... IIRC, the ACB-based Jupiter 8 cloud emulation "looks" like a Jupiter 8, whereas the ABM based version (whether used as a cloud-based VST or as it appears on a Fantom) has no such GUI, but just their more typical menu-oriented layout.

But back to whatever Yamaha may do with AN-X in whatever form it finally appears... I would not expect any software VST/AU based editor. Yamaha seems to have pretty much abandoned that approach. Their editor software has never been very good. I think that kind of software development is just not their area of expertise. And they may have found it more expensive to develop and support than it is worth (especially considering the lackluster results). With the MODX/Montage and YC/CP, they have left that entirely to John Melas. 

Definitely.  As I mentioned on the topic of Yamaha and virtual instruments in general, DAW, even drivers - that’s an area they seem happy to  leave to Steinberg.  

I am strongly starting to suspect that AN-X will probably  be a "paid upgrade", and that the MODX+ upgrades will insure full future compatibility.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

11 minutes ago, The_Star_Guy said:

I am strongly starting to suspect that AN-X will probably  be a "paid upgrade", and that the MODX+ upgrades will insure full future compatibility.

unless it requires a new chip and memory. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

“(New Confirmed Information) The New MODX+ now comes with 1.76 GB of user memory the same as the Montage. There has also been an increase in polyphony for FM-X to 128 notes, again the same as the montage. This could point to the possible inclusion of a second SWP70 chip onboard. The Montage is fitted with two of these chips and we do know that there was a blank space for a second one on the MODX board.

It has been rumoured that there would be a third synth engine added to both the MODX+ and the Montage but having seen the MODX+ user manual there is no mention of this. Could it be added at a later date via firmware? Possibly but we do not know for sure.

Release date is muted to be within the first two weeks of September. This is because the original MODX was released in September 2018 and also because the function to register the MODX+ is now live on the Yamaha USA website.

Pricing is expected to be the same as the original MODX. This is based on the fact that dealers are still taking orders for the MODX even though we know that the older model is no longer in production. Therefore we assume they are intending to fullfil these orders with the new MODX+ and customers have not been notified of any increase in price.”

https://yamahamusicians.com/introducing-the-new-yamaha-modx/

So more AWM2 content from Montage, higher poly for FMX, but likely no ANX engine. 

Sound like the Nautilus and Kronos they basically have the same internals just smaller screen and reduced knobs and such.   So the Kronos went away and reduced price Nautilus remains.  So only one SKU worth of parts to gather and build.   I wonder is Yamaha is heading the same direction and making the internals of the Modx the same as the Montage and fade away in the near future bring them down to one SKU to supply parts for. 

5 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Sound like the Nautilus and Kronos they basically have the same internals just smaller screen and reduced knobs and such.   So the Kronos went away and reduced price Nautilus remains.  So only one SKU worth of parts to gather and build.   I wonder is Yamaha is heading the same direction and making the internals of the Modx the same as the Montage and fade away in the near future bring them down to one SKU to supply parts for. 

What’s strange is the absence of ANX in the copy of the manual they’ve seen, but the inclusion of an additional processor… just for higher poly on FMX?  

If MODX is their Nautilus… will they not have a Montage-like synth in the $2-3k price range with better build and action than they offer on sub $2k MODX? 

Seems pretty reasonable that they will first release the updated MODX hardware, so that it’s ready for the forthcoming AN-X update. I wouldn’t be surprised if that helps in streamlining the firmware development and consolidating it into a single codebase for both instruments. 

A Nautilus-ish version of the Montage would be great price-wise, but I'm not sure how they'd cut it down where it makes any sense and saves them money, yet maintains real improvements over the Modx.   

I do think the AN-X is still possible, based on my complete lack of knowledge on the subject :) .  They did that trademark for a reason, though of course that doesn't mean it *has* to be used, or if it is, it could be a standalone keyboard.